Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2024, 09:24 AM

4,252 posts, read 1,665,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I didn't say there was no crisis. There clearly is a problem. I'm trying to point out the hypocrisy. Why wait 7 months to solve an urgent problem that can be addressed sooner? If it can wait, don't claim it's urgent...that's all I'm saying.

And oh, the voters did speak in Nov 2022. That's the bunch we're stuck with in Congress right now. Whether it's politically inconvenient for them or not, they need to do their job.
At his age, he could break a leg chasing an ambulance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 09:25 AM

12,819 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I didn't say there was no crisis. There clearly is a problem. I'm trying to point out the hypocrisy. Why wait 7 months to solve an urgent problem that can be addressed sooner? If it can wait, don't claim it's urgent...that's all I'm saying.
Politics. Because the border crisis is a losing issue for the Democrats and their about-face has come too late. Most swing voters will see through the Biden Administration's new "hard stance" on the border and look back to the near-decades long avoidance of acknowledging there were issues at the border. So if there's inaction for the next 9 months, it hurts the Dems. more than it hurts the Republicans.

Of course the Dems. can (and already are) pointing fingers at the Republicans for holding off on a compromise for political reasons. And they're absolutely right. But if the Republicans hold out for 9 months and win the Presidency and Congressional seats, they don't need to "compromise" on anything. I'm sure we'll here a lot over the next several months about how the Dem's border compromise is watered down and won't be effective whereas the one 9+ months down the road will be much better. It's an easy political play, and it's one the Dems. made possible by digging in so hard on the border issues since the 2016 primary season or even earlier. It's frustrating for any of us who want actual action, but it makes sense from a political standpoint.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'm surprised by your pushback. Is it really that crazy to be frustrated about government inaction on a solvable issue? "Infuriating" may have been a bit of an overstatement. I'm not losing sleep over this. But why wouldn't anyone be frustrated by this situation and the perpetual lack of action?
How long have we been waiting for a concensus on health care? Entitlements? More than outrage or frustration, I find humor in the sudden frenzy among liberals here to "solve" immigration concomitant with their putative presidential candidate's nosedive in the polls.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:31 AM

85 posts, read 31,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
How long have we been waiting for a concensus on health care? Entitlements? More than outrage, I find humor in the sudden frenzy among liberals here to "solve" immigration concomitant with their putative presidential candidate's nosedive in the polls.
He just needs to let in another million or ten and legalize them via executive order before the election - problem solved!

Old 02-28-2024, 09:43 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Quote:
Be honest. It's suddenly a problem for you primarily because it's likely to send Mr. Biden back to the private sector. This provides me more humor than fury. It makes no sense whatsoever for Republicans to compromise now with a general election around the corner. Let both candidates put forth their proposals for evaluation in the coming months. After all, there's no crisis, right?
It doesn't solve the problem in any fashion. It actually legitimizes a minimum of 5,000 unlawful entries per day. That's ridiculous. And anybody who knows anything about how things work at the Border knows it won't be limited to 5,000. The BP union leadership (not the troops) see this as something is better than nothing. It's not. They (the leadership) are in a desperate situation and have their own agendas. Those of us who are not Democrats or Republicans are tired of all this partisan BS. There's nothing stopping the Administration from doing its job and enforcing immigration laws currently on the books. This is all a ruse and those falling for it are just partisan shills or completely ignorant to the reality of the situation. There are many Republicans who like this too because, among other things, they want big business to have access to cheap labor. The whole Dem vs Republican stuff is just a distraction.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:46 AM

12,819 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
How long have we been waiting for a concensus on health care? Entitlements? More than outrage or frustration, I find humor in the sudden frenzy among liberals here to "solve" immigration concomitant with their putative presidential candidate's nosedive in the polls.
I don't think it's that. Politics is local and people here are experiencing the crisis firsthand for the first time. It's no longer some ranch in Texas or Arizona, it's their kid's classroom, motels in their town or the next town over, or their favorite beach resort, etc. I think it's literally a shock to the system for many (and I definitely see the humor in that). Biden's team might be panicking about the election, but for people here it's about their schools, local crime, property values, taxes, etc. And that's precisely why Biden's team should be panicking - because if the border is now a priority for reliable MA liberals, he's in big trouble.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I don't think it's that. Politics is local and people here are experiencing the crisis firsthand for the first time. It's no longer some ranch in Texas or Arizona, it's their kid's classroom, motels in their town or the next town over, or their favorite beach resort, etc. I think it's literally a shock to the system for many (and I definitely see the humor in that). Biden's team might be panicking about the election, but for people here it's about their schools, local crime, property values, taxes, etc. And that's precisely why Biden's team should be panicking - because if the border is now a priority for reliable MA liberals, he's in big trouble.
It's rumored that Mr. Biden was seen with a lunch pail and shovel, heading south to build Trump's Wall.

Old 02-28-2024, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
It doesn't solve the problem in any fashion. It actually legitimizes a minimum of 5,000 unlawful entries per day. That's ridiculous. And anybody who knows anything about how things work at the Border knows it won't be limited to 5,000. The BP union leadership (not the troops) see this as something is better than nothing. It's not. They (the leadership) are in a desperate situation and have their own agendas. Those of us who are not Democrats or Republicans are tired of all this partisan BS. There's nothing stopping the Administration from doing its job and enforcing immigration laws currently on the books. This is all a ruse and those falling for it are just partisan shills or completely ignorant to the reality of the situation. There are many Republicans who like this too because, among other things, they want big business to have access to cheap labor. The whole Dem vs Republican stuff is just a distraction.
America's working men and women have far more in common with each other than with the WWF ringmasters of either of the two major political parties.

Old 02-28-2024, 10:35 AM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Some of the Venezuelans have been granted TPS (Temporary Protected Status) allowing them to stay until that runs out.
Dont All of the Haitians have TPS?

Mayorkas announced the extension of Haiti for TPS for 18 months, from Feb. 4, 2023, through Aug. 3, 2024, and the redesignation of the country for TPS. For additional information, please see the Federal Register notice.

Old 02-28-2024, 10:45 AM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I am very sorry to hear this news. Another motel and Spinelli's. Evidently money does talk more and more in Massachusetts. Let's face it this state is quickly losing its homey New England culture. Families that have lived here for generations are minorities now. We can all complain but it won't do a damn thing. Our Govt, Politicians, immigrant rights agencies, and businesses all wanted this. Now look at us paying our high taxes to support all this crap. I feel like not paying my taxes, I'm so disgusted with what's happening.
1. "homey" culture? HIGHLY debatable.

2. It's all by choice. It's no one's fault but your own. Local control, zoning, the politicians you vote for, all of it was reinforced by residents who brought themselves to this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts