Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 12:46 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'm with you. I'd like to see a mix of uses - mostly housing, and potentially some retail if a developer determines there's demand for it. The location is ideal.

Green space is great! though like you said, I'm not sure Concord is exactly starved for green space. And considering the shortage of housing in this state, the easy access to both Route 2 and the Commuter Rail, and the precedent of the site already being built out (we're not clearing a forest for it), I don't think it's the best place for a park. That said, it's a big enough plot that a large scale mixed-use development could probably incorporate a chunk of publicly accessible green space - ideally along the bike trail and up to/abutting the pond if possible (not sure if that frontage is part of the property).
Based on arial photo, residential could be placed along Commonwealth Ave. with an entrance just by the rail trail. Retail might be more difficult as proper access of the traffic might be difficult off Commonwealth or Baker Ave. Ext.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 01:33 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Based on arial photo, residential could be placed along Commonwealth Ave. with an entrance just by the rail trail. Retail might be more difficult as proper access of the traffic might be difficult off Commonwealth or Baker Ave. Ext.
Concord has (had?) a No Chains rule (albeit with some grandfathering loopholes). Retail is not in the cards.

Old 01-31-2024, 02:08 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I can't imagine the land is redeveloped without a reconfiguration of that intersection (probably with the removal of the rotary). That's been proposed in various forms for years (here's the old flyover proposal), and MCI was one of the primary reasons it hasn't already happened. I'm sure the reconfiguration would be done with access to/from the MCI development in mind. Probably with direct access to Route 2. I think dumping out all of that additional local traffic onto Commonwealth Ave. (even if it's just housing) would be a nonstarter for abutters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Concord has (had?) a No Chains rule (albeit with some grandfathering loopholes). Retail is not in the cards.
Not all retail is chain retail. Local restaurants, coffee shops, grocery, boutiques, etc. could do just fine in that location, especially with improved Route 2 access. I don't think a retail component would be huge (nothing like a Legacy Place or Market Street), but I'd actually be surprised if there weren't at least a few retail spaces included in any initial proposal.

*Edited to add* The MCI property also includes 18 acres on the west side of Commonwealth Ave., also abutting Route 2. You can see the plot here (407-9 Commonwealth Avenue, Concord is the address). Combined with the 51 acres on the east side of Commonwealth Ave. (where the prison actually is), this is a huge development opportunity and most demands can be met (green space, housing, etc.). It does not include pond frontage though - that's town of Concord property.

Last edited by lrfox; 01-31-2024 at 02:19 PM..

Old 01-31-2024, 02:13 PM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
One thing I've noticed is that nothing is ever turned into anything fun anymore. It's always condos, corporate offices, housing or maaybe a mall. Gone are the days where spaces like this get turned into parks, outdoor pools, amusement parks, mini golf. Those types of places are just disappearing. Someday there will be no where for kids left. It's all about making as much money as possible.

Old 01-31-2024, 03:15 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
Quote:
There are chains in Concord: McDonald's, Wendy's, Dunkin, Starbucks, TD, Cambridge Trust, Santander, Rocky's Ace Hardware, Walgreen's, et al are all in town. Concord does have specific restrictions in the 4 "centers" of town that limit formula businesses. So Starbucks is just outside the center but Haute Coffee is in the center. Cafe Nero is in the area but I believe just outside the historical zone.

There isn't space for large retailers in Concord and really no need for them. They are welcome in Acton, Maynard, and even Wayland so no reason to fight to be there.

Old 01-31-2024, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
*Edited to add* The MCI property also includes 18 acres on the west side of Commonwealth Ave., also abutting Route 2. You can see the plot here (407-9 Commonwealth Avenue, Concord is the address). Combined with the 51 acres on the east side of Commonwealth Ave. (where the prison actually is), this is a huge development opportunity and most demands can be met (green space, housing, etc.). It does not include pond frontage though - that's town of Concord property.
If you are talking about the Farm, that's apparently a different prison (min level) and isn't closing. Or at least that's the impression that I am getting.

Old 01-31-2024, 06:28 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Apples to apples, cities in both states with comparable diversity, etc., the Maine ones still seem safer. But whatever.

Statistically, Mass. has the highest violent crime rate in the Northeast. Can't say I have any recent experience save for the surrounding states (RI, NH, ME) to compare it to, just that MA has gotten worse in recent times. You have to worry about things now in areas that you didn't before. Hard to not blame that on the state's (growing) failure to lock people up who have proven that they don't belong in society.
What cities in Maine have comparable diversity to MA cities and lower crime?

Im assuming were talking about like Gloucester Newtown Brookline and Pittsfield?

Old 01-31-2024, 06:30 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
One thing I've noticed is that nothing is ever turned into anything fun anymore. It's always condos, corporate offices, housing or maaybe a mall. Gone are the days where spaces like this get turned into parks, outdoor pools, amusement parks, mini golf. Those types of places are just disappearing. Someday there will be no where for kids left. It's all about making as much money as possible.
true

Old 01-31-2024, 06:48 PM

As for the NE state with the most crime, that would be Connecticut. Bridgeport, Waterbury, New Haven, Hartford...

Old 02-01-2024, 07:12 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
If you are talking about the Farm, that's apparently a different prison (min level) and isn't closing. Or at least that's the impression that I am getting.
I don't think it's the whole farm. I'm talking about this wedge-shaped parcel that's bound by Route 2, the Freeman Trail, and Commonwealth Ave. The MCI Concord employee parking lot is on this parcel. The bulk of the farm is actually a separate property on the opposite side of the freeman trail. But it's hard to tell how the land will be divvied up - DOC owns a bunch of it, and I'm not sure if it's just the plot with the prison, or if it'll also include the property with the parking. I assume the employee parking lot will no longer be needed. It might might end up being park of a Route 2 reconfiguration. We'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
Governor will close MCI Concord in Summer 2024-mci-concord.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts