Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 09:00 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times

Advertisements

https://www.boston.com/news/schools/...for%20students.

I signed the petition. What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 09:02 AM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
https://www.boston.com/news/schools/...for%20students.

I signed the petition. What say you?

What are we going to replace it with?

Old 03-05-2024, 09:09 AM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times
'Over 700 high school students per year typically don’t receive a diploma because they didn’t pass the MCAS, The Boston Globe reported Sunday. They instead receive “certificates of attainment” if they passed local graduation requirements.'

I didn't realize it was required to graduate. How much more can we continue to lower the standards of education in MA? It seems like every year things are made 'easier'. There's a lot of controversy about the exam schools in Boston that have apparently changed and make it easier to get in or less rigorous.

My son is in 4th grade and he took the mcas this year and last year. I am indifferent to it and I think it's done to see where the kids are, where the measure up...but I don't think MCAS scores are necessarily indicative of someone's intelligence particularly when they're 8 or 9. It's different when someone is 17 or 18. Most kids should be able to sit down, concentrate and take an exam. But there's always those kids that can't and those are always the kids everyone fights for.

I also don't think SAT scores are always indicative of intelligence either...but getting rid of all these things...does it really help?

I'd have no issue if people were judged solely on grades...but then the bottom percent is always given some type of pass to get ahead there too.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:16 AM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
There needs to be some kind of standard across the board. A diploma should mean something. We can't trust that Lawrence High School or Jeremiah Burke will set adequate graduation standards on their own.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:24 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
There needs to be some kind of standard across the board. A diploma should mean something. We can't trust that Lawrence High School or Jeremiah Burke will set adequate graduation standards on their own.
I agree. This might actually widen the gap between top tier schools in MA and lesser schools.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:45 AM

I mean there are kids out there who dont even get a high school diploma...I also find it odd that so many kids seem to be in AP classes these days graduating with GPAs over 4.0. Are kids really just smarter these days? hmm

Old 03-05-2024, 10:54 AM

959 posts, read 538,318 times
Quote:
The “punitive aspects” of the MCAS are especially detrimental to students on individualized education plans (IEPs), students learning English as a second language, and students of color, the MTA argues on its website.

I mean ... seriously? How much disrespect can one have for students of color ?
Are they less smart and skillful?

Being an immigrant I am surrounded by former ESL kids including my own. We never thought MCAS was any different for our kids.
Does this statement tell us Massachusetts is flooded with migrants whose kids cannot take standardized school test?
If they cannot take this simple test... what will our state look like soon?

Last edited by BruinsGirl; 03-05-2024 at 11:17 AM..

Old 03-05-2024, 12:16 PM

85 posts, read 32,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post

I mean ... seriously? How much disrespect can one have for students of color ?
Are they less smart and skillful?

Being an immigrant I am surrounded by former ESL kids including my own. We never thought MCAS was any different for our kids.
Does this statement tell us Massachusetts is flooded with migrants whose kids cannot take standardized school test?
If they cannot take this simple test... what will our state look like soon?
It's by design - can't have black kids get an actual education, work for a living, pay taxes and Satan forbid vote republican. Uneducated, permanently on the dole monolithic Democrat voting block must be maintained at all cost!

Old 03-05-2024, 02:22 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I mean there are kids out there who dont even get a high school diploma...I also find it odd that so many kids seem to be in AP classes these days graduating with GPAs over 4.0. Are kids really just smarter these days? hmm
I remember hearing the math that college students today take was taken by high school students in the 1970s. The kids were able to handle the more advanced math at a younger age. Years and years ago less people went to college because it was harder .

Colleges want sat's because grades might not mean much if some high schools are easier than others

Old 03-05-2024, 02:37 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
I remember hearing the math that college students today take was taken by high school students in the 1970s. The kids were able to handle the more advanced math at a younger age. Years and years ago less people went to college because it was harder .

Colleges want sat's because grades might not mean much if some high schools are easier than others
at the same time though my 4th grader is doing more advanced math than I recall doing in 4th grade...and kids are expected to be able to read in kindergarten but that wasn't the case decades ago. I'm not saying no one knew how to read in kindergarten decades ago...but today it's looked at as a problem if a kid isn't reading by the end of kindergarten.

I thought some colleges don't require SAT's anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts