Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 01:16 PM

20,101 posts, read 9,008,929 times

Advertisements

Lived on the Cape (Brewster) for about 6 months in mid-70's. Back then the Cape pretty much closed up after Labor Day. Only jobs advertised was for chambermaids. Eventually bought and sold a house. Go back every year, have family there. It's not the Carribean, or the Alps, it has its own allure but then again, different strokes for different folks, comparing it to other locations is tedious. April is the most disappointing month to be in New England IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2024, 06:26 PM

16,330 posts, read 8,162,213 times
Welp maybe the OP will be changing their plans based on these responses

Old 03-10-2024, 07:00 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,548,500 times
We rent a house each July in Orleans. It doesn’t feel showy or seem astronomically high priced to me there. We love it because it seems like a home town in the middle of paradise. Stunning place.

That being said, the month of April might be a different experience.

Old 03-11-2024, 06:57 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Welp maybe the OP will be changing their plans based on these responses
Hard to say -- it kind of depends on why they were considering it. If they had no plans for April break and realize they would like to do something, but don't want to go far or can't travel far for whatever reason, it still might be worth going.

I think the key is managing expectations. If you go in expecting that many places will not be open and that it will likely be quite chilly, you can enjoy what you do find.

Old 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM

531 posts, read 425,046 times
msRB311,
Absolutely agree. I spent $200 to stay in a subpar Fairfield Inn in Amesbury with a rundown Burger King on one side and the highway on the other, so $400 for Chatham Bars Inn would be totally worth it to me as well.

Last edited by Remy11; 03-12-2024 at 02:00 PM..

Old 03-12-2024, 03:05 PM

85 posts, read 32,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
msRB311,
Absolutely agree. I spent $200 to stay in a subpar Fairfield Inn in Amesbury with a rundown Burger King on one side and the highway on the other, so $400 for Chatham Bars Inn would be totally worth it to me as well.
That place is closer to $800-900 in July and August, when you actually want to be on the Cape. Thrown in hideously overpriced food, entertainment and fees/taxes/tips on everything and you're looking at close to 10 grand for a week, not the end of the world for two working professionals but a downright terrible deal considering what you can get for that money elsewhere.

Old 03-12-2024, 04:18 PM

531 posts, read 425,046 times
GrampaNurgle,

I believe it! I've never been to the CBI but was just going on what a friend who grew up on the Cape recommended doing if you want to go at a less expensive rate (which was to go during the off season).

Personally, I'm not a huge bake in the sun on the beach all day type, so I wouldn't mind going during the off season. I could definitely get into bundling up for a walk on the beach, having a nice dinner on site, and heading to the spa there in March. However, I totally get I'm the exception and not the rule when it comes to preferred time on the Cape.

Old 03-12-2024, 04:49 PM

I think everyone gets it that the cape is overpriced...but honestly what isn't these days? It's hard to find a deal or a decent price when it comes to entertainment and vacations to a desirable place. As boring and underwhelming as some might find the cape it's clearly a place that people to visit particularly in the summertime.

Old 03-12-2024, 08:07 PM

85 posts, read 32,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think everyone gets it that the cape is overpriced...but honestly what isn't these days? It's hard to find a deal or a decent price when it comes to entertainment and vacations to a desirable place. As boring and underwhelming as some might find the cape it's clearly a place that people to visit particularly in the summertime.
A single night at a hotel during the high season would pay for roundtrip airfare to pretty much anywhere in the world…

Old 03-12-2024, 08:14 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampaNurgle View Post
A single night at a hotel during the high season would pay for roundtrip airfare to pretty much anywhere in the world…
Some people don't like flying. If you have a family of 5 then you also have to pay for 5 plane tickets plus a hotel when you get to wherever you're going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts