Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 01:25 PM

13,039 posts, read 22,234,286 times

Advertisements

I'm not familiar with Rick Beato so maybe it's not what he's saying, but "new music is bad" has been repeated by people above the age of 25 or 30 since music has existed. Just like lots of younger people turn their noses up at older music.

I'm sure there are studies on it, but my guess is that it has to do a lot with the combination nostalgia/the association with the music that was the soundtrack of your formative years, and the fact that new music is largely produced by younger (teens/20s/early 30-somethings) people and it's not as relatable as the music we grew up with.

I try to keep that perspective in mind when my initial response is to say a new song/songwriter sucks. I don't always do a good job of it. But when I really think about it, I can't sit here and honestly say that the new acts today are worse (in terms of both talent or lyrics) than much of what was popular when I was a kid/teen. My teen years started with legends like Limp Bizkit, or songs like Who Let the Dogs Out and the Thong Song and they ended with all things Emo. I don't care how bad a song might sound today, is it really worse than Fergie's "My Humps?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 02:34 PM

3,555 posts, read 1,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'm not familiar with Rick Beato so maybe it's not what he's saying, but "new music is bad" has been repeated by people above the age of 25 or 30 since music has existed. Just like lots of younger people turn their noses up at older music.

I'm sure there are studies on it, but my guess is that it has to do a lot with the combination nostalgia/the association with the music that was the soundtrack of your formative years, and the fact that new music is largely produced by younger (teens/20s/early 30-somethings) people and it's not as relatable as the music we grew up with.

I try to keep that perspective in mind when my initial response is to say a new song/songwriter sucks. I don't always do a good job of it. But when I really think about it, I can't sit here and honestly say that the new acts today are worse (in terms of both talent or lyrics) than much of what was popular when I was a kid/teen. My teen years started with legends like Limp Bizkit, or songs like Who Let the Dogs Out and the Thong Song and they ended with all things Emo. I don't care how bad a song might sound today, is it really worse than Fergie's "My Humps?"
Yes people have been saying that when new music comes out it sucks. But I think objectively it's official music today is not as good. The music industry is very different today. They can't sing and use auto tune. Rick does not say music that is not his time is bad he has an open mind like he likes 90s music and he was older than 30 then. I listen to rock mostly where people play instruments.

He hates apple too. He is college educated in music and was a producer.

https://youtu.be/mQoWUtsVFV0?si=9SUSd87TjV9mYNjW

Old 04-24-2024, 02:48 PM

Rick also likes a perfect circle songs that are from the 2000's . He likes tool also. Tool is a great band if you never listened to them. But it's a darker sounding band. They use uneven time signatures

Old 04-24-2024, 07:19 PM

1,065 posts, read 722,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I dunno, he's a talented songwriter for sure, and his music is of a genre that I like, but the stories told through his lyrics remind me why I left Massachusetts.
Kindly elaborate further.

Old 04-24-2024, 08:59 PM

2,245 posts, read 1,114,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
Kindly elaborate further.
I kindly refuse to elaborate in detail, but the whole drunk townie who's given up thing...

To be fair, I haven't heard more than the 3 or 4 songs in heavy rotation so I can't say *all* of his songs have this affect.

Old 04-28-2024, 05:03 PM

Talking about new music. These guys are going to be huge!
No I think this is AI generated. Musicians are against AI.
https://youtu.be/IEtAmeR9p7U?si=PNwMuvBgViLiurFz

The channel obscure vynl has a lot of funny ai generated songs.

Old 04-28-2024, 08:08 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,264,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Yes, we all know he's from Vermont, and currently lives in Watertown, Massachusetts...He even mentions Vermont in his "Stick Season" song.

And "Dial Drunk" seems to be his first big hit, followed I think by "Stick Season."

Didn't he burst onto the national season just last fall? Had never heard of him.

Those two songs are still in heavy rotation on Kiss 108, probably Mix 104, I think 92.5 The River and I think Emerson College's WERS 88.9.

Mentions "alcohol" and/or "drunk" in, I think, both songs. Maybe also in others songs not on commercial radio? I don't drink (if anyone cares). Maybe drinkers appreciate the lyrics, and maybe there's even a deep meaning and connection for them. Haven't tried dissecting the meaning.

But worse, I dislike his voice, and the tunes of both songs.

Yes, he's a big star now, was even nominated for a Grammy, I think ...and is at Fenway Park for I think two concerts this summer; I think he's currently on a big tour.

I turn off the radio as soon as his songs start!

Am I the only one who doesn't get this Vermont/Watertown, Massachusetts, sensation... doesn't care for his voice or his lyrics of these two popular songs? Maybe his other songs are a bit different, but not on commercial radio?

I think it's pronounced "Kahn" -- one syllable.
Wow, you started a thread because you don't like an artist? I don't get the appeal of doing that but if thats your MO how do you not start 50 new threads a day?

Old 04-29-2024, 05:19 PM

18,234 posts, read 9,528,890 times
He threw out the first pitch at Fenway on Sunday night.

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1784727725128732723

It was also Noah Kahan bobblehead night.

Old 04-29-2024, 07:12 PM

23,916 posts, read 19,086,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Wow, you started a thread because you don't like an artist? I don't get the appeal of doing that but if thats your MO how do you not start 50 new threads a day?

There is nothing wrong with this thread, ma'am. bostonguy1960 started a thread about a local artist that has recently been in the news, and he is giving his opinion. I strongly encourage more threads like this.

It's really weird that you are trying to shut down this discussion. You did the same thing with my pizza thread in the RI forum by telling people "don't take the bait".

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rhod...za-thread.html

?????

Old 04-29-2024, 08:02 PM

18,234 posts, read 9,528,890 times
I prefer Olivia Rodrigo's cover of Stick Season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voKKXysVIlQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts