Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 12:26 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,919,397 times

Advertisements

The best part of this is the scammy, small, highly UN Selective private colleges are going to fail. RIP Lasell, Curry, Merrimack, Elms, AIC, Baypath, etc. To me, these schools are the most responsible for crushing students with debt while actively throwing state schools under the bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 12:28 PM

16,615 posts, read 8,354,811 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Not misleading whatsoever but very accurate.

You're freely adminitting that you'd rather use ‘taxpayers’ to connote some level of unfairness that should *actually* be more driven home by these tangible examples. This is the us vs them nonsense.

Wr don't want to talk about employers that won't chip in on Your education, we don't wanna talk about people without parents or with those who can't contribute, we don't wanna talk about how much cheaper college WAS. Lot that we dont wanna talk about in order to further her selfish motivations and worldview. I won't be a part of it.
So we just level the playing field for those who aren't capable of getting a job where an employer can pay for their education by having already burdened tax payers pay for it. Got it.

Newsflash: it isn't the fault of everyday citizens how much college costs now. Blame the greedy universities, blame the corporations who wont offer tuition reimbursement but have you and I pay for it.

Old 05-07-2024, 12:37 PM

1,550 posts, read 1,136,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
So we just level the playing field for those who aren't capable of getting a job where an employer can pay for their education
It's a bit of a catch-22 isn't it? It's getting harder to get the job without the education. Then factor in the cost of living and people have to choose which bills to pay. They're 10 times out of 10 paying for rent over education if forced to choose.

Anyways...according to the article the funds used to pay for this is the 4% surtax on households with incomes over $1 million, which is exactly what the surtax was supposed to pay for. I am betting zero people posting in this thread is paying that surtax.

To other points made in this thread...of course it should be done correctly and efficiently. I don't believe anybody would disagree with that. Any large and complex system is going to have some inefficiencies but it does not mean the government should not try, otherwise we would have no services at all.

Old 05-07-2024, 12:45 PM

3,237 posts, read 2,140,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
So we just level the playing field for those who aren't capable of getting a job
It's about leveling the playing field for people who did not have your privilege to get into the schools that are required to get the jobs. Are you scared that someone poorer than you is actually smarter than you?

Old 05-07-2024, 12:49 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
It's about leveling the playing field for people who did not have your privilege to get into the schools that are required to get the jobs. Are you scared that someone poorer than you is actually smarter than you?
not at all. Are you?

And typically when someone is smart and poor they get something called a scholarship to a more notable university.

Old 05-07-2024, 02:08 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,919,397 times
Side note: Is it possible to get a B.S. in engineering at night anymore? I have met a lot of curmudgeons old engineers that did. But does any school offer it? Northeastern dropped theirs

This goes with the employer paid for my college comment. Yes, a lot pay for grad school but I dont think there are many that will pay for a undergrad degree.

Old 05-07-2024, 02:14 PM

No one wants to work during the day and then go to school at night anymore or vice versa. The horror. Just much too stressful for their mental health and wellness.

Old 05-07-2024, 03:26 PM

5,126 posts, read 2,702,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Side note: Is it possible to get a B.S. in engineering at night anymore? I have met a lot of curmudgeons old engineers that did. But does any school offer it? Northeastern dropped theirs

This goes with the employer paid for my college comment. Yes, a lot pay for grad school but I dont think there are many that will pay for a undergrad degree.
You can get almost any degree you want, online, to be completed during whatever hours you please. Before the naysayers start nitpicking, notice I said almost. Even some lab courses, which could previously only be taken on-site, are now offered in virtual asynchronous formats. But one needs self-discipline, and that's a rare commodity these days. In terms of tuition reimbursement, I think many employers are more likely to pay for undergrad degrees than professional degrees. Or, they may grant a certain amount of money each year, regardless of what degree you're seeking. It depends on what career level you're at and what kind of work you're doing.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 05-07-2024 at 03:52 PM..

Old 05-07-2024, 03:44 PM

5,126 posts, read 2,702,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I agree to this, as well as the need for mechanisms to prevent outsiders from coming in and abusing the MA taxpayer (ie. should have live here at least a year). But we know that will never happen, seeing the abuse going on with the emergency shelter thing.
I would say they should have graduated from a Massachusetts secondary school or be a bona fide resident of MA for at least several years to qualify. But that will never happen. That said, I don't foresee a lot of people moving to MA solely for the purpose of getting free community college courses. There are many other states that do the same thing.

Old 05-07-2024, 04:17 PM

21,743 posts, read 12,880,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
The best part of this is the scammy, small, highly UN Selective private colleges are going to fail. RIP Lasell, Curry, Merrimack, Elms, AIC, Baypath, etc. To me, these schools are the most responsible for crushing students with debt while actively throwing state schools under the bus.
I agree completely. There needs to be room in community or state colleges for those students.

Those schools are the worst feature of the New England educational landscape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: