Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2008, 10:01 PM

4 posts, read 49,390 times

Advertisements

Hi, Here's my situation. My husband just got a job in Lowell and I work in Cambridge(part time) and take 1-2 classes in Boston. We currently live in Malden with two boys(4th and 2nd graders). Although We like Malden a lot (low cost of living and location), It takes too long to go to Lowell from Malden everyday . Acton suits our needs well. Good school, commuter rail service and closer to Lowell. And housing prices don't seem insane, towns like Lexington or Winchester. This is our first time searching for house. We live in two bedroom apartment. It is time to move and buy a house. Two big quest for us chicken. The thing is because I am so used to quick easy access to everywhere within 2 miles, shopping, kids swim team, parks, and Boston!!, I am worried if I could survive this suburban life in Acton. I drive only when there's no other way to get there. I 'd rather walk or use T. But in Acton it seems impossible to go anywhere without using a car.
Question:
Could you tell me if I can make some good friends and neighbors in Acton? Are people in Acton nice, meaning community oriented like car pool or block party or very private in Acton? How do other Acton parents take their kids to swim team or whatever activities? I read there's no town feel in Acton, then what do Acton town offer really? Is Acton all good because of good schools? That is all? What does it like living in Acton? I would like to live and enjoy living in Acton. Give me some assurance, please.

Last edited by mac123; 09-12-2008 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 03:19 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
I don't know a lot one way or the other about how much of a sense of community there might be in Acton. If you have heard that Acton doesn't have much of a "town feel," one possible reason that occurs to me could be that the shopping in Acton is centered on route 2A, along a stretch that has really gotten built up with strip malls. They are clean, rather upscale strip malls, not chintzy looking the way some strip malls can be, but unfortunately it is true that you'll need to drive to a lot of the local shopping in Acton.

If you have not decided for certain on Acton, another town I might suggest checking out is Littleton. Physically, Littleton has more of a small-town feel than Acton, with shopping centered more around downtown. Be aware, though, that downtown Littleton was small the last time I saw it, which has been a number of years. You'll need to be realistic about living in that area. It is out in the country, and you won't have all the urban amenities of Malden. However, it might be possible to work it out so you get as much of this as possible. It sounds as if you plan on using commuter rail frequently. From either Acton or Littleton it's a short train ride to West Concord, which has some decent downtown shopping.

If you were to consider Littleton, you would want to check further into the quality of their schools. They don't have the high-powered reputation of Acton's schools, but I hear good things about the Littleton shcools. However, this is through the grapevine, and I would not confidently recommend the schools in Littleton on the basis of the little that I actually know personally.

This is at least a little info to get you started. I'm guessing that during the day tomorrow there will be some people more familiar with eveyday life in Acton who will chime in here. I'll keep my fingers crossed on that. Best of luck with your move, and to your husband in the new job.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:15 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,202,555 times
You have Acton that is split in half by rt111. Biggest draw is the quality of education and having one of best sports schools around. Not much for the kiddies to do but sports or get in trouble. We live next door in Concord and spend a lot of time in Acton for TJ Maxx, Kmart, Trader Joes and Staples and that's about it. I am starting work in Acton this week off Great Rd.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:39 PM

4 posts, read 49,390 times
I went to see some houses today. When I talked with the owners, my doubts were gone pretty much.
It seems a very nice town for my kids and people are nice.
Thanks so much.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:40 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Acton is very, very nice, especially for a family. (I live in Littleton, no kids). I also think Littleton is very nice, more small town feel, much smaller than Acton. Schools are good, I gather, but Acton's are among the best in the state.
In either town, you'd have to drive pretty much everywhere, however, the drives would be very short and very local- no highways, etc. To get to the commuter train in Littleton, you still have to drive to get to the station.

Best wishes- this area is wonderful for living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts