Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,195 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've learned so much from all of you over these past few months while my husband and I have tried to decide whether or not to move.

We're currently living in southern PA (commuting distance to Baltimore, MD) but are both originally from New England (RI & VT). My husband took a job in Danvers MA and we were up there the past 2 weekends looking at properties. He's willing to have up to a 45 minute commute. We've narrowed it down to 3 properties -- 2 of which are new construction. One is in Haverhill and one is in Newton, NH.

We have only 1 child who will be attending a Catholic school. I know that both areas put us in pretty good proximity to the schools. But I'm concerned about high school -- how bad IS the Haverhill high school? How is it compared to Sanborn Regional, which is where Newton feeds into? Does anyone know the comparisons? I've been reading and reading and reading and I feel like I'm just going in circles.

We need to decide on one of these properties this week (the 3rd property is an existing home in Newton) and I can't help but wonder if schools will end up having to be our deciding factor.

Oh, we spent the weekend in Haverhill while house hunting and we really liked the downtown -- we ate at The Tap Room (love microbrews! That was such a bonus to us to see that it was right there!) and had a drink at The Peddler's Daughter (my husband is an Irish pub fanatic -- he could just stroll around them looking at all the stuff inside all night long). We felt very safe in that section and really enjoyed our evening.

For housing, the one we're looking at is off of Broadway, near Crystal Lake. Is that considered a safe area??

Thanks so much for all of your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 01:27 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,954,608 times
Hi kaesmom, and welcome to the forum Raised in Haverhill, so maybe I can help just a bit. I'm going to stay away from the schools discussion (that's for you and your Realtor to discuss, and others on this board who aren't licensed agents) but I can say that the Crystal Lake area is very nice, you're tucked away from the inner city areas, but very easy access to Rte 495 via Broadway/Rte 97. Best of luck with your decision!!

Old 09-16-2008, 05:02 PM

4 posts, read 8,720 times
Default looking on web for houses in crystal lake, ma area

what streets would i possibly be looking for, all the listings just say haverhill

thanks so much

bev from so cal

Old 09-16-2008, 07:25 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,954,608 times
Hi Bev
Just to clarify--there is no Crystal Lake, MA. Are you looking for property in Haverhill, near Crystal Lake? The streets you'll be looking for would be the upper numbers along Broadway, out to Crystal Street, Liberty Street, Lake Street, and a bunch of newer streets that have new construction

At this time, the Massachusetts MLS system does not make property listing address available via realtor.com. In New Hampshire, this rule has changed in just the last 6 months, but still, each Seller needs to give written permission for their property address to be made public in the listing. It's their house, they can make the decision

I was raised in Haverhill, and am there quite often. If I can help you with anything pertaining to the area, just ask. I'm sure there are others around who are also familiar with the area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts