Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2008, 10:25 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times

Advertisements

My niece, from Hopedale, is getting married next summer and is looking for a pretty place for her wedding and reception. She lives in Texas, so it's hard for her to explore much except on the net.
The setting must be beautiful..not some ugly hall with no view. Should be in eastern MA. On the shore is a plus.
I'll pass on any suggestions to her parents and they'll check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 04:49 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Does she want to be married in a church? And how many guests will be attending?

Old 09-30-2008, 05:03 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
She will probably not marry in the church, since they are not MA churchgoers, but will have someone officiate at the same place as the reception. She's looking for a place which has packages to include the music, food, flowers cake, etc. since she is not going to be in the area to micro-manage before hand. I would guess about 100 people. My only clue as to the price range was that an $18,000. price they got from a place on the cape was too high.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:10 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,825,930 times
For a real bargain, call a JP and have the nuptials at Christopher Columbus Park on the Boston waterfront. I'm not kidding. The park's right by the harbor and is already a popular wedding spot. From there it's an easy walk to all the restaurants in the North End, downtown, and Quincy Market. The Chart House immediately comes to mind as a good reception venue.
Block Island, off the coast of RI, is past the "discovery" stage and has evolved into a full-fledged tourist destination during the summer months. Along with this popularity has come a strong marketing push for it to be a place for tying the knot. You can visit blockislandtimes.com to download the wedding guide the local newspaper publishes. There are all sorts of package deals available, with ample opportunities to "do your own thing" at any budget level too. The Sullivan House, with its hilltop location near a beach, seems to perpetually have its big party tent set up during the warmer months of the year. Couples who marry there have the choice of starting the party on the spot or walking down the hill and across the road to commence festivities by the ocean - complete with bonfire and live music. The island's Baptist, Catholic, and Episcopal churches welcome betrothed visitors. Clergy from many other religious faiths are also either "on island" or readily available. Most of the beaches on "BI" have full public access; another potential site for vow exchanges is the Ocean View Pavilion close by the center of town and opposite the popular party place known as Ballard's.
In Massachusetts, another seaside location I'm partial to is Rockport. There's easy commuter-rail and driving access from Boston, about an hour south. A couple of hotels there offer wedding package deals. Scenic areas like Halibut Point State Park can provide a nice ocean background to the proceedings. The wedding party and guests could stay at either of the hotels, or at any of the town's numerous B & B's which are happy to host groups at special rates. Kids and restless adults would be easily placated by the beaches in town - the ones on the south side are nicest.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:41 AM

894 posts, read 1,557,691 times
I got married at Halibut Point State Park. It was very nice no regrets. had the reception at a friend's house in Marblehead so I can't help with that part.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:50 AM

758 posts, read 2,888,760 times
Check out Rye Harbor State Park in Rye NH. I got married there this summer. Only about 15-20 minutes north of the Mass border, right on the water, picturesque sleepy fishing harbor next door (no smells though ), gorgeous coastline and views.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:37 AM

142 posts, read 660,566 times
What is her taste? Does she want an outdoor weeding, or something out of the ordinary? I've seen a number of people get married at the Endicott Estate in Dedham, and hold the reception there. It's a very large, restored mansion on spacious ground donated to the town. She may find other possibilities like this in areas where she lives.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:53 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
She will probably not marry in the church, since they are not MA churchgoers, but will have someone officiate at the same place as the reception. She's looking for a place which has packages to include the music, food, flowers cake, etc. since she is not going to be in the area to micro-manage before hand. I would guess about 100 people. My only clue as to the price range was that an $18,000. price they got from a place on the cape was too high.
Venues on the Cape will be high, especially in the summer. In addition, many have a required minimum # of guests, especially in season and for Saturdays.
The cost of hotel rooms for the guests will be high, too.

I know next summer seems like she has a while to plan, but some places are booked up to 2 years in advance. But, if your niece doesn't mind being a little flexible, you can possibly find a nice place that is still available for a Friday night or Sunday. We went through the same thing 2 years ago with our own daughter.

I found that most of the wedding packages do not include any kind of DJ or photographer, but they can give you a list of recommendations to check out.

Have her parents looked into anything in the Hopedale area at all?

Old 10-02-2008, 11:00 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjscdn View Post
What is her taste? Does she want an outdoor weeding, or something out of the ordinary? I've seen a number of people get married at the Endicott Estate in Dedham, and hold the reception there. It's a very large, restored mansion on spacious ground donated to the town. She may find other possibilities like this in areas where she lives.
We looked at the Endicott Estate for my daughter's wedding. The problem we found with it for us was that you would have to split the guests into several different rooms unless you were having a very small wedding, or wanted to rent a large tent and have it on the grounds. The other issue with some of these historic properties to rent is that they have a list of approved vendors that you have to deal with. It gets to be that when you add up all the costs, it is just as expensive if not more so, than a more traditional setting. Some of these houses charge several thousand just for the use of the facility - nothing included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts