Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 10:43 PM

31 posts, read 65,379 times

Advertisements

Hey! Thanks for taking the time to read my diatribe and comment with your thoughts. Ultimately, my question is: what are YOUR pros and cons of living in the Northampton area?

Let me give you a little background on my situation in hopes that may help you answer my dire question.

I'm 40 years old (Ok, I'm 41, but never-you-mind!). I'm a single lesbian with a very young child (preschool age), and I'm semi-recently divorced. I lived in the Boston area for 10 years after moving from NYC. I loved living in MA, and didn't want to leave, but after my divorce I found my only option was to move to Colorado where my parents live. In a nutshell, I don't like living in the Denver area. The culture is beyond-words-different from what I know and love. I'm thinking to move back to MA, but find the Boston area too congested (especially after living in the open space that is the West), and too expensive (especially with a small child, would want a yard, etc). So, my eyes are set on Northampton. I've spent some time there, and always loved the area, but I wonder what it's REALLY like live there.

I have worked in higher ed administration for many years. (I'm also a musician).
What's the likely hood that i can acquire a job at one of the 5 colleges in the area? Is it so competitive that no one can get a job? Did I mention that I was gay, lol? How gay friendly is it, REALLY? Denver pretends to be gay-friendly, but I haven't actually met very many gay people (unless you live in the quarter miles radius that is considered the "gay-friendly" neighborhood), so I'm hoping to be more surrounded by ***** family and our straight allies, especially while my son embarks onto public school. Also, Colorado is very unfriendly to outsiders/transplants, which now makes me very cautious about moving somewhere I'm not a "native" (look, it up, it's a thing, and it sucks = fascism). Do you loathe newcomers, are we destroying your economy and soul?

Are there specific areas that are good for middle class families? Ideally, I'd like a few playground options, sidewalks (oh, god I miss those!), and a general sense that you respect your neighbors more than the herd of Elk that tramples through your yard.

Thanks again for reading. I really want to watch the ball drop in EST.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsiknergy View Post
...so I'm hoping to be more surrounded by ***** family and our straight allies,
Not sure why q-u-e-e-r was **** out. Adlib as you wish.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:37 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,260,374 times
Sounds like you'd fit right in here in Northampton, with a question about the job thing. Do some online searches; it might work out. It's very Lesbian-friendly; lots of kids with two Moms. That "we hate outsiders" thing is a myth, IMO.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:43 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Higher ed is a big employer in that area, but not big enough that I would move without a job. UMass is huge with lots of administrative positions, but some of the smaller schools have low turnover. What area of administration do you work in?

I find higher ed is more open to people relocating as well.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:15 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
There are the "five colleges" but you also have Westfield State, Holyoke Community, Elms in Chicopee, several institutions in Springfield, Bay Path in Longmeadow, maybe a CC in Greenfield... Quite a few possibilities if nothing opens up among the five.

Greenfield and Easthampton have some sidewalks in addition to Northampton and Florence and are more affordable. Holyoke and South Hadley have lots of sidewalks but then you're getting into lower Pioneer Valley which doesn't have the gay-friendly alternative-y vibe the upper valley is known for (although parts of Holyoke have Northampton spillover and easy highway access to N'hampton and SH is home to one of the "five".) Nothing in the Pioneer Valley like Somerville or Jamaica Plain for walkability but as you say, the pace, cost of living and access to open space is much better in the PV, and it's not that bad a drive to the CT or Rhode Island beaches in the summer time.

Last edited by missionhill; 08-01-2017 at 07:31 AM..

Old 08-01-2017, 08:05 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
You'd fit right in. And people are only hostile to outsiders who come and try to change it into some place like NYC. That's just not New England style no matter where you go.

Jobs are hard to get but education is the largest employer. Stick close to Northampton, maybe the Florence area of Northampton for better prices, maybe Easthampton.

I always thought of Northampton-Amherst as being the city in the country because you have so many cultural opportunities yet you are not stuck in an ugly, crowded, congested city. I wouldn't live in the Boston area if you paid me. I want to hop into my car and go for a ride, find a place to hike, look at a waterfall, stop at a farm stand and buy sweet corn, ride on a bike trail, head up to Vermont or the Berkshires for real country, look around in artsy shops, eat in healthy little non chain restaurants, be with creative people, hang out with open minded people.

It's gorgeous in the fall, ok in spring, muggy and hot in summer, and horrible in winter--but there is ample cross country skiing. No really nice places to swim but you can get to CT beaches without too much trouble. The only real downsides I can think of are the horrible weather, especially winter and that it's overrun with students. And the lack of jobs, but you could get lucky as you are in education.

Edited: Usually, for someone on the outside to get a job, it's best to know the right people. There are so many overly qualified people in the area that it's really competitive. You might have to start anywhere, then get to know people and climb the rungs of the ladder. Loads of people with masters degrees and PhDs. A lot of people live poor for a while--roommates, even single parents with kids sharing a house. But I was always amazed at how many people would be hired for a job, coming from NYC, over someone local who had better qualifications--it seems to be that you have to know the right people.

Last edited by in_newengland; 08-01-2017 at 08:16 AM..

Old 08-01-2017, 08:35 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
No really nice places to swim but you can get to CT beaches without too much trouble.
But several swimming holes including Chapel Brook in Ashfield (?) and a nice lake beach at DAR State Forest in Cummington. You can swim right in the Conn River at the Elwell Rec area in Northampton where the U-Mass crew keeps its sculls. Walk down to the float there and jump in. Nice clean water in the river now above Holyoke dam.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:40 AM

Wow, super helpful and very encouraging. Thanks for your insights!
Any word on the public school system? My kiddo is in preschool now, so recommendations for early elementary schools are much needed.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:44 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,169 times
Amherst Regional (Amherst, Pelham, Leverett, Shutesbury), Belchertown and Northampton are the A rated schools on Niche.

Frontier Regional (Sunderland, Conway, Deerfield, Watley) and Hopkins Academy (Hadley) are A-

Smith Academy (Hatfield) and Hampshire Regional (Williamsburg, Goshen, South/Westhampton,) are B+

Hopkins and Smith are very very small schools, like 40 kids in a graduating class.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Amherst Regional (Amherst, Pelham, Leverett, Shutesbury), Belchertown and Northampton are the A rated schools on Niche.

Frontier Regional (Sunderland, Conway, Deerfield, Watley) and Hopkins Academy (Hadley) are A-

Smith Academy (Hatfield) and Hampshire Regional (Williamsburg, Goshen, South/Westhampton,) are B+

Hopkins and Smith are very very small schools, like 40 kids in a graduating class.
Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts