Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:26 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,839,810 times

Advertisements

Holden, a terrific source on all this is Douglas Rae's City: Urbananism and its End. A case study of New Haven, he really clearly shows how conditions favored economic growth in cities like New Haven for a time, and how those conditions changed. In New Haven's case in spite of a tremendous effort on the part of local government leveraging federal resources to stem the decline, the economic and technological forces were too powerful to stop. You're right; global economic forces have been favoring metro regions like Boston and New York, disfavoring other big metro regions, and stripping smaller cities of all the wealth they once generated. I jumped on brightdog's comment because it gives credence to people's tendency to blame polititians and government in general for problems that are mostly way beyond the ability of local and state government to solve. State government had nothing to do with making Springfield and Holyoke the industrial powerhouses they were up until 1920 or so and there's not a lot it can do to bring that era back.

I think you're probably right about who supports whom in New York--people think the upstate economy is being drained to prop up the city, whereas more likely the metro area's economic engine--until very recently--was generating enough to support expensive metro-area priorities like the MTA and CUNY with enough left over to cushion the weaknesses upstate. Probably the same in Mass--I wonder if anyone's really studied it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 12:55 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Holden, a terrific source on all this is Douglas Rae's City: Urbananism and its End. A case study of New Haven, he really clearly shows how conditions favored economic growth in cities like New Haven for a time, and how those conditions changed.
Thanks! I will definitely check it out. It's a topic of much interest and I used to live in New Haven and have a special affection for it. BTW, New Haven, despite its problems and excessively bad rep, has made great strides in the past 10-15 years and has to be one of the two or three best cities of its size in the US. A lot of its cultural offerings are due to presence of great institutions of higher learning like Albertus Magnus, SCSU, Quinnipiac, and that other one.

To some extent, thought, the conditions came because of policies favoring sprawl such as highway funding. European cities of similar size are often thriving, and have much more extensive mass transit networks, than those here. I wonder if some degree of central government planning can't alter circumstances significantly, but I don't think local and state government can do it alone. Their scale is just not big enough, and the big push in policy will come from what it subsidized, either directly or through tax incentives, and what is discouraged through additional taxation. That has to come from Washington.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:52 PM

184 posts, read 658,740 times
Default Very true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer5 View Post
If you are that unhappy living in MA then there are 47 other states you can drive to! I am pretty well traveled and find MA to be the best when all things are considered. I just dont care for the cold, but you cant have it all... My point? Unless you are incarcerated you could always go back to your broke state and try for that acting gig again... Arnold sure could use the tax revenue... Or did Cali get sold to Mexico yet?
I don't know WHERE people get the idea that Mass is more broke than CA, which has one of the highest foreclosure rates and is now, I hear, BANKRUPT! Good thing you can live on the beach there and beg for food!

In W. Mass, with a few exceptions, the housing bubble never really burst. Home values have declined but we don't have tent cities of homeless families who just got kicked out after missing a couple mortgage payments. This is STILL considered a destination area...just check out the Massachusetts forums and see how many people are moving here!

Old 03-18-2009, 09:43 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,839,810 times
Some have argued that Massachusetts, in particular, has made a huge investment in Boston in the last 20 -25 years in the form of subway improvements (red line extensions, orange line extensions and relocation), the central artery/tunnel project, harbor cleanup, and water supply improvements, and those public investments have leveraged big private investment in the commercial and residential sector and created big demand to live and work in and around Boston proper. Would Boston have thrived as it has without those public investments? I don't know. Could you do something similar in the smaller cities around the state and get a comparable return on your investment? I'm not sure. I think a place like Boston is positioned to compete well in the current global system and the right public investments can ensure that success. A small industrial city like Springfield doesn't have a competitive advantage in the current system so putting public money into infrastructure might not leverage much private capital. The state has retooled the Springfield Armory and built the Civic Center but that hasn't had much of an effect. Hartford persists in being a basket case: Even as the state capitol and with all of Connecticut's wealth they can't seem to get the city itself up and running. The metro area as a whole is prosperous but the city is another story. These smaller cities really have a hard time.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Some have argued that Massachusetts, in particular, has made a huge investment in Boston in the last 20 -25 years in the form of subway improvements (red line extensions, orange line extensions and relocation), the central artery/tunnel project, harbor cleanup, and water supply improvements, and those public investments have leveraged big private investment in the commercial and residential sector and created big demand to live and work in and around Boston proper. Would Boston have thrived as it has without those public investments? I don't know. Could you do something similar in the smaller cities around the state and get a comparable return on your investment? I'm not sure. I think a place like Boston is positioned to compete well in the current global system and the right public investments can ensure that success. A small industrial city like Springfield doesn't have a competitive advantage in the current system so putting public money into infrastructure might not leverage much private capital. The state has retooled the Springfield Armory and built the Civic Center but that hasn't had much of an effect. Hartford persists in being a basket case: Even as the state capitol and with all of Connecticut's wealth they can't seem to get the city itself up and running. The metro area as a whole is prosperous but the city is another story. These smaller cities really have a hard time.
It's tough. Good jobs bring smart people and vice versa. You'd need an effort to leverage all the powers of policy to attract both more of less at the same time. The chicken and the egg together. I'd look at some sort of high-speed rail link direct to Boston and New York, and an array of subsidies to businesses willing to locate there and to people willing to move as well (say partial student loan forgiveness to lure the young and educated). A lot of these cities have great potential but have been kind of given up for dead in recent decades. This is not my area of expertise but it makes no sense to have overcrowded and unaffordable large cities while we have so many nearby smaller cities that need the boost.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:09 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VlyRoadKid View Post
In W. Mass, with a few exceptions, the housing bubble never really burst. Home values have declined but we don't have tent cities of homeless families who just got kicked out after missing a couple mortgage payments. This is STILL considered a destination area...just check out the Massachusetts forums and see how many people are moving here!
I think the Mass. problem is the same one as in CT and other states: the public employee pension bomb. This is going to be trouble.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:15 AM

894 posts, read 1,558,801 times
Public transit is a sham. Run the numbers, you can could buy every rider several new cars for the cost of most PT projects. Plus PT uses money from folks that will never partake in the service. Less public transit bigger roads and more parking. Let Americans be Americans and stop shoving Euro poverty down our throats.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:54 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Public transit is a sham. Run the numbers, you can could buy every rider several new cars for the cost of most PT projects. Plus PT uses money from folks that will never partake in the service. Less public transit bigger roads and more parking. Let Americans be Americans and stop shoving Euro poverty down our throats.
I respectfully disagree. It's not a sham. Not even in the slightest bit.

We simply cannot afford to sustain the lifestyle many Americans want both economically or environmentally. If you think it's as simple as comparing upfront costs, you're severely mistaken. People will "partake" in that service if it suits them, and that's the key. We need to build transit lines that suit the people. In fact, some places have such extensive and well used public transit that the service not only creates a better environment, but turns a profit... that's how it should be done and it CAN be done here with a little effort. No one is saying no one should have cars, but we shouldn't rely on them to the degree we do today.

There is no way that we can afford to burn fossil fuels at the rate we do and hope to sustain current lifestyles. The sub-prime mortgage crisis is a prime example of what happens when you, "let Americans be Americans" and millions of people try to live beyond their means by purchasing the piece of the pie that they simply can't afford. I'm willing to bet anyone who wanted to "live the dream" and now has no job and a foreclosed home would love to live in "Euro poverty."

Old 03-20-2009, 10:21 AM

894 posts, read 1,558,801 times
We can live the way we have. Progress lies in using more energy building more stuff etc. Not in riding bicycles to trains from our public housing projects. Prosperity comes from private property not trains not public goods.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
We can live the way we have. Progress lies in using more energy building more stuff etc. Not in riding bicycles to trains from our public housing projects. Prosperity comes from private property not trains not public goods.
No, we cannot. Survival lies in using less energy. An awful lot of anti-prosperity has come from thirty years of uncritcal worship of private property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts