Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 06:39 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
The Weather plays an important part in human behavior.
I head to the Sunshine State Nov. 1st, and stay until sometime in May;
eveybody seems to be so happy, whether shopping or at the beach.
I just can't be happy and outgoing on a cold, damp, overcast, stormy,etc.etc.day.
I would agree and also had just the overall environment. If a few people are "cold" or seem "unfriendly" around other people...then no one talks and everyone acts similar. The thing I notice is people don't make eye contact with anyone in public or on the street.

The Puritan explanation doesn't make sense because most people haven't been in the United States since the 1600's. Many Americans families have only been in this country for less than 100 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 11:09 AM

50 posts, read 121,572 times
Quote:
Here are some of my conclusions based on my impressions and from what I've heard others say:

-The weather: cold=contract
The upper Midwest is colder yet friendlier

Quote:
-Irish- clanish, insular -sorry
There are huge populations of Irish in Chicago, but they are more extroverted and agreeable than your typical New Englander.

Quote:
-Competitive, transient, liberal culture, contrast with locals whose families have been here for generations, and travelled less, experienced less, because clearly Mass was the first stop off the boat.

-Busy people, often from elsewhere looking to get ahead have less time and opportunities to stop and smell the roses, and there is no 'laid back' local culture to reinforce. When Mark Twain lectured in Worcester back in the day, he said he never had eperienced a more stone cold audience.
The maritime ports may be a little less friendly, but there are southern ports too.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:14 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
why do people insist that we here in the baystate are cold and rude,or impersonal or whatever it is that people say.maybe it is just that everyone else is overly friendly,nosy busybodies who can't keep to themselves.just my opinion and probably doesn't matter much. i know when i go to visit my relatives in spartanburg sc that people seem to treat me a little different because i talk funny(to them anyways)and don't fit into there way of living,maybe visitors of new england don't fit into our way of living and just can't seem to accept that not everyone is going to be like where they are from.

it's funny, b/c your post comes off as cold, rude, and impersonal

Old 05-30-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
I would agree and also had just the overall environment. If a few people are "cold" or seem "unfriendly" around other people...then no one talks and everyone acts similar. The thing I notice is people don't make eye contact with anyone in public or on the street.

The Puritan explanation doesn't make sense because most people haven't been in the United States since the 1600's. Many Americans families have only been in this country for less than 100 years.
Culture is passed down generation to generation and persists to this day. I read a fascinating book called "The Cousins War" by Kevin Phillips that traced the cultures of the various English settlers in the U.S. He found that many of the current cultural traits in the U.S. were similar to the traits of the settlers from particular regions in England. For example, he found that the Scotts-Irish who settled primarily in the South/Appalachia were particularly militaristic because of their proximity to the more frequent wars in that region of Britain. This militarism carries through to today where the South is more pro-military.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:42 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,347 times
I always find these posts quite amusing. I don't know where the original poster is from, but I find the South overly friendly. No one needs to know my entire family and medical history inside of an hour. Most of my lifelong friends don't know that much. I found Chicago to be a place I'd never like to be again. Very snobby, although I know some very nice people there. Florida, I can do without. Arizona isn't too bad, just very brown/beige. Texas is good depending on what part of the state.
And that's probably true of New England as well. Depends on what part you're visiting, just like everywhere else.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
bostonians dont have a monopoly of being standoffish to strangers.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
bostonians dont have a monopoly of being standoffish to strangers.
Interesting that you hail from So. California. Research has shown the two regions with the highest amount of disagreeableness are New England/New York and Southern California.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:40 AM

4 posts, read 13,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Does anyone have a historical or intellectual perspective on the famous Massachusetts reserve. I love my trips to New England but can not get over the people. I have never been anywhere outside of maybe Miami where I have met so many cold, distant, prickly and unfriendly people.

Hopefully some of you have some well thought out perspective on the topic instead of making excuses and a back and forth about how people should interact with strangers.
I also find this topic very interesting myself. I have lived in New England my entire life and it wasn't until about 2 years ago that I met so many inconsiderate and rude people here in New England. I lived in western Mass for many years and found the people to be very nice and friendly. People I didn't even know would wave as you drove down almost any road in a rural area. People would help one another out and not expect anything in return because they knew if they needed a hand in the future, they would get the return favor. About 2 years ago I moved to eastern Mass and that is when I quickly noticed the difference. From my experience, the rude people have an ego issue, have the moto, "get out of my" or "not my problem" I love New England, but the people are very different in a metro area vs the rural areas.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:51 AM

8 posts, read 30,443 times
Rather than come on like the French Foreign Legion we find that it's wise to be wary of new people, most especially from the south or west.
Strange to term it as cold, severe, etc., when of course in Europe (please genuflect), such reserve is 'cultured' and 'European'; ditto Japan and Scandinavia, no?

When new people move in next door, and in fifteen minutes you've learned they're divorced-remarried-agnostic-baptist-buddhist-green-on & on, & on... think twice about inviting them over, or accepting an invitation.
Don't lend them your lawn-mower, either; or you'll be going over and having to simply take it back.
We want/need the time to evaluate people. Too many these days are absolute out and out whack-jobs.
The voice of experience.......

Old 06-02-2009, 07:37 AM

185 posts, read 535,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasurf View Post
Here are some of my conclusions based on my impressions and from what I've heard others say:

-The weather: cold=contract

-Irish- clanish, insular -sorry

-Competitive, transient, liberal culture, contrast with locals whose families have been here for generations, and travelled less, experienced less, because clearly Mass was the first stop off the boat.

-Busy people, often from elsewhere looking to get ahead have less time and opportunities to stop and smell the roses, and there is no 'laid back' local culture to reinforce. When Mark Twain lectured in Worcester back in the day, he said he never had eperienced a more stone cold audience.

-History: industrialization, manufacturing- tough, blue collar roots, partially of Colonial stock. The West was founded more recently by Pioneers (not Pilgrims), ranchers, homesteaders, and more enterprising sorts who wanted out of Massachusetts, amongst other places.

Though a New Englander, I lived in Nebraska once where I never experienced more diversity of all people, from lesbians in cowboy shirts, to Native Americans, farmers, rednecks, and students from all over the states and the world. In a Midwestern city surrounded by cornfields you are bound to rub elbows with all types of people. In New England, for too long, it has been easier to retreat in our leafy, old communities, and forget that other places, and people exist.

May I add : a certain New England intellectual elitism, perhaps? When you meet someone for the first time expect to be asked, "Where did you go to school?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts