Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 04:36 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,172 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a historical or intellectual perspective on the famous Massachusetts reserve. I love my trips to New England but can not get over the people. I have never been anywhere outside of maybe Miami where I have met so many cold, distant, prickly and unfriendly people.

Hopefully some of you have some well thought out perspective on the topic instead of making excuses and a back and forth about how people should interact with strangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 06:00 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
I spend most of my time in Cambridge and have never noticed what you're talking about. Where, specifically, do you spend time in MA?

Old 05-28-2009, 09:16 AM

50 posts, read 121,562 times
This an interesting question. I'm no expert, but I think it has to do with the Puritan culture that began in England. It's a Calvinist outlook that views the world as harsh and unforgiving. I think high population density also exacerbates the disagreeableness.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:46 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,189 times
The Weather plays an important part in human behavior.
I head to the Sunshine State Nov. 1st, and stay until sometime in May;
eveybody seems to be so happy, whether shopping or at the beach.
I just can't be happy and outgoing on a cold, damp, overcast, stormy,etc.etc.day.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:11 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,746 times
There are a few new posts in this thread that may shed some perspective on it. It's been said that Boston is a "living, working city", and not really geared towards tourism as some other cities are.

Do you find Bostonians to be friendly-or cold people?

Old 05-28-2009, 05:47 PM

50 posts, read 121,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
The Weather plays an important part in human behavior.
I head to the Sunshine State Nov. 1st, and stay until sometime in May;
eveybody seems to be so happy, whether shopping or at the beach.
I just can't be happy and outgoing on a cold, damp, overcast, stormy,etc.etc.day.
Yes, but Illinois Wisconsin and Mich all have worse weather than Mass and are much friendlier

Old 05-28-2009, 09:16 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,598 times
The New England Yankees tend to be somewhat taciturn.
In the small towns sometimes there's a mentality of...if I needed to know you I already would.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:48 PM

122 posts, read 313,342 times
I have to comment to your original post: Miami people not friendly??? People go up and kiss and hug complete strangers! It's a cultural thing.Can't imagine a place more friendly than this. We're leaving Miami for a number of reasons, but "not friendly" is definitely not one of them, and the welcoming, friendly attitude of most people here is something I think we take for granted. Wonder what part of Miami you visited or lived in??

Old 05-29-2009, 06:24 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,971 times
why do people insist that we here in the baystate are cold and rude,or impersonal or whatever it is that people say.maybe it is just that everyone else is overly friendly,nosy busybodies who can't keep to themselves.just my opinion and probably doesn't matter much. i know when i go to visit my relatives in spartanburg sc that people seem to treat me a little different because i talk funny(to them anyways)and don't fit into there way of living,maybe visitors of new england don't fit into our way of living and just can't seem to accept that not everyone is going to be like where they are from.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:51 PM

396 posts, read 1,398,463 times
Here are some of my conclusions based on my impressions and from what I've heard others say:

-The weather: cold=contract

-Irish- clanish, insular -sorry

-Competitive, transient, liberal culture, contrast with locals whose families have been here for generations, and travelled less, experienced less, because clearly Mass was the first stop off the boat.

-Busy people, often from elsewhere looking to get ahead have less time and opportunities to stop and smell the roses, and there is no 'laid back' local culture to reinforce. When Mark Twain lectured in Worcester back in the day, he said he never had eperienced a more stone cold audience.

-History: industrialization, manufacturing- tough, blue collar roots, partially of Colonial stock. The West was founded more recently by Pioneers (not Pilgrims), ranchers, homesteaders, and more enterprising sorts who wanted out of Massachusetts, amongst other places.

Though a New Englander, I lived in Nebraska once where I never experienced more diversity of all people, from lesbians in cowboy shirts, to Native Americans, farmers, rednecks, and students from all over the states and the world. In a Midwestern city surrounded by cornfields you are bound to rub elbows with all types of people. In New England, for too long, it has been easier to retreat in our leafy, old communities, and forget that other places, and people exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts