Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 09:42 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times

Advertisements

Why is Fall River and New Bedford so cheap for a house? Is there a reason? Online the town looks so cute but I'm from AZ and anything green with colonials looks good to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 10:52 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Fall River and New Bedford are old New England Mill towns- and Whaling centers from the past- It is cheap- as many areas of New England are outside of Boston.

The homes you see are a good value- solid communities.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:26 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,246 times
Fall River and New Bedford are struggling with a dearth of manufacturing jobs. Recently, Quaker Fabrics, once one of the largest employers in Fall River, announced it will probably close and lay off 900 workers. New England in general affords many high-paying jobs in the technical, financial and medical fields, and many areas have experienced rapidly increasing property values that have made it difficult for lower-income folks to find affordable housing. In cities like Fall River and New Bedford there is a tremendous gap between high income and low income families, and an ever-shrinking middle class. Crime is relatively high. Commercial activity centers around regional malls. Both cities are working hard to revitalize their downtowns and there is a committed group of people that sponsors events such as Summerfest, a world class folk and traditional music festival in downtown New Bedford, and the Working Waterfront Festival that celebrates the fishing heritage of the region. There's a lot of history in these towns, and if you want good, salt-of-the earth, hardworking folks as your neighbors and friends, you'd feel right at home in either of these cities.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:39 PM

Doesn't seem to bad. It is a neat looking place, nice and historic feeling, Thanks!

Old 07-15-2007, 08:53 PM

414 posts, read 2,280,177 times
Fall River, and New Bedford are cheap because no one really wants to live in these two cities. In addition to this these cities have a lot of crime, drugs, poverty, prostitution and more. If you are intent on moving into either of these two cities because of the cheap housing they offer, then you will want to live in the peripherial areas of the cities. Both of these cities have been struggling for decades fisically, and revitalization is pretty much zip too. Both of these cities will most likely continue to remain "slums" for another few decades!!! If you don't believe the words I'm typing, then just ask any that lives in either city, or ask people that living in any of the neighboring towns on what thier thoughts are about them!!! You will definatley "pay" for the the affordability of either city!

Old 07-16-2007, 07:19 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,019,787 times
I live 20 minutes from New Bedford and have friends that live there as well. yes there is crime and drugs and poverty in both towns but not every where in both towns you just need to know where to go and where to stay out of if you're not into those things. My friends live in an area of New Bedford that is so quiet, clean, family orientated and safe that honestly you forget you're in a city. Because I don't know much about fall river if I had a choice I would focus on New Bedford (there are some beautiful homes along the coast). Like a lot of cities you're going to have good parts and bad parts you just need to learn where the good and bad are. good luck.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:22 AM

That's is correct you have some nice homes in both cities, there are even some nice older homes in the central areas of both cities too, but the central sections of both cities aren't very nice, or very safe areas. However, as a whole neither cities are remotely considered sought after, or even nice places to live. They just offer affordable housing! More importantly, neither cities aren't idea places to raise families either. Like I state previously, the best/safest areas to live in New Bedford is the far North End along the Achushnet, or Freetown lines. And in you opt for Fall River you will want to live in along the Westport, or Swansea town lines. Keep in mind that both cities are also quite small in size, and aren't remotley comparable to how Boston and it's communities are. It's actually very sad how New Bedford, and Fall River are, because both cities in fact are geographically located in nice areas of the state, but thier lack of infracture, major employers, fiscal stability has really kept both cities quite depressed and modern day urban slums.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:06 PM

Yes, I see. Well you know I though it was to good to be true. All of Phoenix is like that so why would I move from one to the other. I'll keep on looking. Thanks. I'm looking for historic though, I've had enough of the burbs and sprawl!!!!!!!!!!! I know this is a hard one though, historic town but affordable 250,000 to 300,000 for 3 bed. low on crime. I think this is what everyone wants, so, in reality, somewhere close I hope to find. All of these things I want for my kids ,personally, I just want a lobster roll and a bowl of chowder to dunk it in! lol ! As you can tell what I remember most about growing up in MA is the food and historic buildings. Maybe that should be my new criteria. ha!

Old 07-16-2007, 01:25 PM

Massuchetts is simply a very expensive state to live in, primarily due to its high cost of housing. But if you keep your options open, and remain somewhat flexible, you will be able to find a decent home in a nice town/city. I wouldn't recommend living to far from the Boston Metro area, because that is were the better, most, higher-paying jobs, and largest selection of jobs exist. Try living as close to the Route 128 Loop as possible, regardless if you live North, West, or South of it. Living within this proximity, will save you tons, of headache, and frustration in the long run!

Good Luck!

Last edited by seldomseen; 07-16-2007 at 01:44 PM..

Old 07-16-2007, 10:23 PM

72,977 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
Fall River, and New Bedford are cheap because no one really wants to live in these two cities. In addition to this these cities have a lot of crime, drugs, poverty, prostitution and more. If you are intent on moving into either of these two cities because of the cheap housing they offer, then you will want to live in the peripherial areas of the cities. Both of these cities have been struggling for decades fisically, and revitalization is pretty much zip too. Both of these cities will most likely continue to remain "slums" for another few decades!!! If you don't believe the words I'm typing, then just ask any that lives in either city, or ask people that living in any of the neighboring towns on what thier thoughts are about them!!! You will definatley "pay" for the the affordability of either city!
I don't know about the crime, but I do know about a race riot that occured in New Bedford. Aside from that, I think New Bedford is cheap because it isn't Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts