Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 11:50 PM

28 posts, read 79,108 times

Advertisements

If so, where is the best place to look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 12:05 AM

701 posts, read 1,564,453 times
...For a room in an apartment?

Old 12-08-2012, 02:34 PM

398 posts, read 629,961 times
i do not know of any places. i can say if you need an apartment that is between 800-1100 with utilities it is very possible if you move to areas like haverhill and that is about a 45 minute drive from boston. but finding an apartment for 800 in mass is not easy but possible if you look hard.
you may have better luck finding an apartment at that price in NH but it would be at least an hour to 1-30 minute commute one way from southern NH depending where you find a place

Old 12-08-2012, 06:13 PM

513 posts, read 696,571 times
It takes me about an hour from Marlborough and there are studios here around 800. There are a few towns surrounding Marlboro (hudson/framigham)where you could get a studio or one bedroom for 800. If you're talking rush hour traffic though it will be a much longer trip. I doubt you will find anything around Quincy for 800. If roomate is an option you could get a two bedroom in or around Quincy for ~1300. I know my cousins rents a 2 bedroom for 1300 and my brother rents a 3 bedroom for 1700, and those are both in Quincy

Old 12-08-2012, 06:37 PM

28 posts, read 79,108 times
Hm alright, what can I find for $1,000 (before utilities)?

Old 12-08-2012, 06:53 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,975,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmongtheDogs View Post
Hm alright, what can I find for $1,000 (before utilities)?
You might get more advice if you provide some more details. Are you wiling to split a two bedroom with another person? If not do you want a studio or a one bedroom? Do you have a car or do you need to use public transportation? Do you want to live in a city or does it not matter? How comfortable are you living in high crime areas?

Keep in mind that while you might find an apartment under $1,000 within an hour of Quincy (Brockton, Norton, and Bridgewater come to mind as possibilities) any trade-offs in lower rent will be met with a longer and more expensive commute. Also, I wouldn't live in Brockton for free, but I'm guessing you can get a studio there for under 1k. You might be able to find a studio in Quincy for under $1,000 but it's not going to be nice.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:10 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,831,949 times
I had a 1 bed apt in Natick for 850 incl heat + elec... just moved out. I rented it many yrs ago when that was the going price and LL never raised rent. If you have time to follow my previos posts, you'd see that I had to deal with mice, lots of insects, crappy floor and leaks inside the bathroom wall and noise. The place was not insulated between the apt and rest of the house so I felt like living in a drum everytime someone walks in the connecting house which is both next to and on top of my unit . Not to mention I've had leaks thru the window wetting my furniture. I can't say it's the worst there is because I've seen even more depressing places being rented out. So I'm just saying for this price, even if you find one, it won't be nice.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:51 PM

513 posts, read 696,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I had a 1 bed apt in Natick for 850 incl heat + elec... just moved out. I rented it many yrs ago when that was the going price and LL never raised rent. If you have time to follow my previos posts, you'd see that I had to deal with mice, lots of insects, crappy floor and leaks inside the bathroom wall and noise. The place was not insulated between the apt and rest of the house so I felt like living in a drum everytime someone walks in the connecting house which is both next to and on top of my unit . Not to mention I've had leaks thru the window wetting my furniture. I can't say it's the worst there is because I've seen even more depressing places being rented out. So I'm just saying for this price, even if you find one, it won't be nice.
Well Natick is a little more pricey than some of the surrounding areas. My place in Marlboro is nice at 900 with heat included. Granted it has gone up 25 a month for four straight years (was 800 initially), but it is possible to find a nice one bedroom around 800/900 around Marlboro/Hudson.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:28 AM

12,914 posts, read 22,073,069 times
Brockton, Taunton, Fall River and even New Bedford all have plenty of decent places for $800 or less. None of those cities are particularly wonderful overall, but they all have some decent neighborhoods and $800 would put you in a decent spot. All are within an hour of Quincy (though Fall River and NB would be pushing it with heavy traffic).

Now, if things like schools are important, those cities don't work as well, but you can definitely find something within your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts