Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 34,891 times

Advertisements

I work in MA and want to move to Southern NH. I hear that I will have to pay MA income tax as I would be an employee of MA. But as a resident of NH can i apply for a MA non-resident income tax return?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 05:45 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
You could live on the moon; if you work in MA, you pay tax in MA.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:40 PM

9 posts, read 52,811 times
lol..yes you pay taxes to Ma. we live in NH and hubby works in Ma.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:09 PM

278 posts, read 703,273 times
Yes you would. I live in MA, but work in NY, and I pay NY income taxes, not MA. I get a credit on my MA tax return for income taxes paid in another jurisdiction, and since taxes in NY are much much much higher than MA, I end up not having to pay anything to MA. If they were lower, i'd have to pay the difference to MA.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:43 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Taxation without representation is alive and well in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. If you live in NH and work in MA, you will pay the MA income tax rate of 5.3%

Where in southern NH are you thinking of moving to? I don't know if you're renting or buying, but property taxes in NH can be quite a bit higher than what you're used to, depending on where you're coming from/to. Car insurance is less in NH, if that makes a difference...

Old 03-16-2010, 11:17 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Taxation without representation is alive and well in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. If you live in NH and work in MA, you will pay the MA income tax rate of 5.3%
A fate that could easily be avoided by not deriving one's livelihood in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:35 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
True, but when your employer decides to shift operations under 1 roof (corporate headquarters) and gives you the choice to stay employed or look for a new job, it's a tough choice but a 5.3% cut in pay is preferable to looking for a new job. Besides, longevity has its benefits. AND I suppose to look on the bright side, if a layoff were to occur, unemployment benefits could be claimed in MA (which I believe pays a higher rate than NH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
A fate that could easily be avoided by not deriving one's livelihood in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:01 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
True, but when your employer decides to shift operations under 1 roof (corporate headquarters) and gives you the choice to stay employed or look for a new job, it's a tough choice but a 5.3% cut in pay is preferable to looking for a new job.
In this economy, the pay cut probably is preferable to looking for a new job. Good news is that, if you itemize, you'll deduct the 5.3% from your federal taxes and get a third or 28% or 25% of it back anyway.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:44 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,819 times
You pay income tax to the state you work in. It's not just Massachusetts issue. Every state has the same law.
My uncle works in Hartford and lives in Springfield, he pays CT income tax. He has to file MA income too as a resident, but gets a credit for it...ie he doesn't pay twice, that would be stupid. Actually he pays more in CT income than he would in MA's.

Since you would live in NH, you won't have to file for Income tax. But the income is payable to Massachsuetts, the state of employment.

Why do you think states are more interested in jobs creation than population-they want the income tax?

Old 04-04-2010, 05:52 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,948 times
Yes you would pay a non-resident state tax in MA since you work here. I work in MD and VA and I pay taxes depending on what state I'm working in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts