Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 06:31 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,321,401 times

Advertisements

I need some opinions please...What about the cheap bus rides that go between Boston S.Station and NYC... Are they Safe? What I mean is...do you recommend them for an inexpensive way to go to the city for a day? Again, Single female traveling alone kinda thing?

There is a specific event in NY. Travel would be midday TO NY taking a cab directly from the bus stop then back to the bus by cab late at night (10pm_ish) getting on the bus back to S. Station and then a cab home.

Please stay on topic with your responses. Just want to know...is it safe? Any recommendations or worries? Your advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 08:25 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
The only company I won't use anymore is Fung Wah--lousy track record, lousy personal experiences with drivers going too fast.

As for safety for women...it's a bus ride--what might be unsafe about it? It's kind of like asking if flying or taking Amtrak is safe for a solo woman.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:41 PM

874 posts, read 1,660,269 times
I used Bolt Bus last week and had no problems at all. The ride was safe, cheap, and had wifi and electrical outlets. I wasn't traveling alone, however I am a relatively small male and I didn't feel unsafe. I arrived in the afternoon and left in the afternoon so I can't speak to the safety at night although I would think it wouldn't be too different at night. The bus picked us up and dropped us off near the Tick Tock diner, which is between 34th and 35th St. and 8th Ave.

One last bit of advice I would recommend is to make sure you buy your ticket in advance so you don't have to be on standby.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
I used Bolt Bus last week and had no problems at all. The ride was safe, cheap, and had wifi and electrical outlets. I wasn't traveling alone, however I am a relatively small male and I didn't feel unsafe. I arrived in the afternoon and left in the afternoon so I can't speak to the safety at night although I would think it wouldn't be too different at night. The bus picked us up and dropped us off near the Tick Tock diner, which is between 34th and 35th St. and 8th Ave.

One last bit of advice I would recommend is to make sure you buy your ticket in advance so you don't have to be on standby.
Thanks for the input here. Appreciate it!!! Think of anything else, let me know. I would like to ask...how are they on timing? Did they seem to run on time? AND...let's say the schedule says 2pm...what time does boarding begin?

Old 04-08-2010, 11:55 AM

They board 10-15 minutes before the scheduled departure so for a 2 PM departure think 1:45-1:50 PM. They were great about being on time when I went down to NYC, but the return trip was made a half hour late due to flooding in Connecticut. Overall they were fine. I would be there at least 20-25 minutes before departure.

Last edited by altlover85; 04-08-2010 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: added more information

Old 04-08-2010, 12:28 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
Atlover85, which company are you talking about that garuntees a seat with a pre-purchased ticket? Greyhound and Megabus don't offer this, and neither doees Fung Wah or Lucky Star. All it does is elimiate the need for you to buy a ticket at South Station. If you have a pre-purchased ticket and all the seats fill up before you get on, you're still going to have to wait for the next bus.

I've also found most buses (Greyhound and Megabus are the ones I take most frequently) are on-time, but I still like to get there at least a half hour early to line up. Being the last person on board and getting stuck next to the bathroo for 4+ hours isn't fun.....

Deef1 which company are you planning to use? You understand there are several that go from Bos-NYC, right?

Old 04-08-2010, 02:50 PM

None of them guarantee a seat if you have a ticket, but if you get there before boarding time and have a ticket you don't have to worry about standby on BoltBus.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post

Deef1 which company are you planning to use? You understand there are several that go from Bos-NYC, right?

BoltBus. Reason is it drops off about 1.5miles from my destination location which is a conference on 52nd Street. Conference doesn't end until 8:30pm so I was going to have to slip out 1/2hour early. I was thinking leaving at 8pm would give me time to get a cab to where it picks up being only 1.5mi away with no probs. 8:30p is the last bus of the night. Will I be okay...if I leave right at 8p to the stop?...it would be on a Monday evening, not a weekend.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:33 PM

I've never had to pick up the bus at night on a weekday so I am only guessing here, but I would leave myself at least 45 minutes. It might be a slow night, but if you are at this conference other people may want to be hailing cabs around the same time. I would think Boltbus would be moderately busy, but not too bad as I can't see tons of people wanting to go back to Boston on a Monday night.

To conclude, I think you need to allot yourself enough time to try and catch a cab, while I think the bus itself shouldn't have a huge line.

Good luck!

Old 04-09-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
I've never had to pick up the bus at night on a weekday so I am only guessing here, but I would leave myself at least 45 minutes. It might be a slow night, but if you are at this conference other people may want to be hailing cabs around the same time. I would think Boltbus would be moderately busy, but not too bad as I can't see tons of people wanting to go back to Boston on a Monday night.

To conclude, I think you need to allot yourself enough time to try and catch a cab, while I think the bus itself shouldn't have a huge line.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help :-) I appreciate it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts