Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 12:26 PM

27 posts, read 135,733 times

Advertisements

Sorry for another off-the-wall question but I need to get a new bank because Wachovia does not have branches in Mass. Does anyone have any recommendations for a bank to go with that I might not be familiar with? If I had to choose now I'd go with Bank of America only because I've heard of them and know they are in the area. I'm not looking for anything special, just checking and savings for little to no additional fees. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 12:31 PM

10,017 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Well, BOA is the largest, but there's also Citizens, BankNorth, Sovereign, etc. Call around and see who will give you the best deal. Some large employers have relationships with banks so you can get a better deal that way.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:52 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,707 times
BofA has the largest ATM network. However, they also charge the highest fees. As long as you have high balance, BofA is fine. Lower fees institutions are usually local Credit Union or the other banks CaseyB mentioned.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:29 PM

Thank you both

Old 05-29-2007, 07:44 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,535 times
Bank of America is evil. They will nickle and dime (more like $5 and $10) you to death.

If you're near Boston, check out Wainwright Bank. Free checking, free savings, free SUM ATMs, free online banking (with bill pay).

Citizen's is okay. The biggest benefit is branches at Stop and Shop.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:44 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME Hokie 07 View Post
Sorry for another off-the-wall question but I need to get a new bank because Wachovia does not have branches in Mass. Does anyone have any recommendations for a bank to go with that I might not be familiar with? If I had to choose now I'd go with Bank of America only because I've heard of them and know they are in the area. I'm not looking for anything special, just checking and savings for little to no additional fees. Thanks.
when I lived in MA I had citizens, check out the state street bank also. depending where you will be and work you also could check out credit unions. with banking you can do most business on the telephone, internet and mail. I still left saving in my MA bank. anyway state street is real nice. what I did was join a credit union and just open a small acct with a local bank, so i could cash a check etc.,
credit unions give you the best rates etc.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:12 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
You're a Hokie, so you're probably web-savvy enough to use Washington Mutual. Their savings account rate (around 5%) is much higher than any of the banks listed here, plus they have free checking w/free ATM reimbursements (so you can use any ATM you want). The thing is, it's an online account which I know a lot of the older folks aren't comfortable with, but for you it might just be the thing you're looking for.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
You're a Hokie, so you're probably web-savvy enough to use Washington Mutual. Their savings account rate (around 5%) is much higher than any of the banks listed here, plus they have free checking w/free ATM reimbursements (so you can use any ATM you want). The thing is, it's an online account which I know a lot of the older folks aren't comfortable with, but for you it might just be the thing you're looking for.
haha thanks. A friend had recommended this to me awhile back and I completely forgot about it but after looking over the website again I think I'm going to open an account there in the near future. The only question I have is concerning fees on ATM withdrawals: I called and asked on the phone and the guy basically said that banks will charge a fee to use their ATM and the only ones without a fee at all would be WaMu ATMs. I guess it's probably still better if you mostly just use credit but if you used cash you'd have to be more careful. Thanks for the advice though.

P.S. I actually just signed for a lease on an apartment in Newton so I hope the area is as nice as it looks.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:03 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME Hokie 07 View Post
haha thanks. A friend had recommended this to me awhile back and I completely forgot about it but after looking over the website again I think I'm going to open an account there in the near future. The only question I have is concerning fees on ATM withdrawals: I called and asked on the phone and the guy basically said that banks will charge a fee to use their ATM and the only ones without a fee at all would be WaMu ATMs. I guess it's probably still better if you mostly just use credit but if you used cash you'd have to be more careful. Thanks for the advice though.

P.S. I actually just signed for a lease on an apartment in Newton so I hope the area is as nice as it looks.
That's weird ... I wonder if we're talking about different types of checking accounts cuz their website still advertises free worldwide ATM withdrawals (only cash withdrawals ... not operator fees such as account inquiries). If you have any questions about Newton, feel free to PM me. I'm a Yellowjacket btw, but I suppose I'd be happy to find a fellow Southerner up here even if he was a Bulldog!

Old 06-09-2007, 09:13 PM

9 posts, read 46,056 times
Stay Away from BOA. They will steal your money. Newton is TERIFF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts