Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 10:41 PM

231 posts, read 851,130 times

Advertisements

Talked to United and Delta........I forgot to mention here that I would not be flying along with our dog...Basically our dog will be flying on DeltaCargo as Dash.....Rules are different..

The guy at UnitedCargo made it clear that shipping them cargo is in fact different than checking them as baggage.....so we'll have to pick the dog up in Honolulu....Oh well, maybe a little less paperwork, and scheduling the vet. Just have to fork out the $$ for the airline ticket..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 11:53 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,598,888 times
You will still need to talk to the HNL ag people to confirm to them that you will be coming in on flight # so and so and get the permit through them so I think the paperwork will be the same. If you show up with a dog in Hawaii and the paperwork is not on their desk the dog will sit in Quarantine until they find the papers.
When are you planning to fly out?

Old 08-06-2010, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,551 times
I am living on Maui and for three months have been trying to fly my dog here from Dallas, with minimal stops. I am set up for direct release with a vet on Maui, but also find that no common carrier will actually allow direct release to Maui..only through Honolulu. I called DOA for assistance finding out who will help me since they implemented the program and they told me to call the airlines. They were absolutely NO HELP. I am incredibly frustrated and wonder if it was worth it to even move to this beautiful island if I cannot get my family pet to me.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:32 PM

806 posts, read 2,345,979 times
Oh my... Now I am completely worried..

I am midway through the paperwork process and didn't start looking for a flight yet. I really hope you keep us informed on who you find that will do direct to Maui. I am hoping to be on a plane with my family and 2 little dogs around November...

Good luck!

Old 08-06-2010, 09:57 PM

150 posts, read 416,360 times
Getting on a plane with your dogs is the same as usual. Direct release in Maui is possible for you as long as you choose a flight that handles direct release here, we used United out of Los Angeles. We used South Shore Veterinary Clinic in Khei and they can go over each step with you if you like. The original poster is having problems because they are not flying WITH their dog.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:07 PM

806 posts, read 2,345,979 times
Oh, great! I wanted to fly with United!
Mahalo!

Old 08-06-2010, 10:12 PM

231 posts, read 851,130 times
If you are not flying with your pet..(shipping them as cargo) the more than likely you WILL NOT be able to direct ship to neighboring islands...

There are three types of "luggage" that go into a belly of an aircraft...

-Checked baggage : Normally checked at a ticket counter and givin to you at your destination via baggage carousel.

-Carry on baggage : Carried through security and onto the aircraft. On smaller aircraft you usually have to "pink tag" your bags and they are put in cargo. Then givin to you as you deplane at your destination.

-Cargo : Much like UPS or Fedex. You give your shipment to the airlines cargo facility, usually at a different airport location. (if your not flying on the actual aircraft then it's considered cargo) and with the Hawaiin pet regulations, if they are cargo they must go through HNL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui