Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 11:51 AM

3 posts, read 6,575 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are setting up house (condo) on Maui and need suggestions on where to shop for furniture on a budget.

I have read a few threads that alot of the mainland chains (Target, Kohls etc) are not here, we are also looking for basics such as linens, kitchen items etc., so any suggestions on that front would be appreciated.

Mahalo
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 11:55 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Start with asking your new neighbors, the condo association management, etc.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:11 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Garage and yard sales. There are always folks moving back to the mainland and either selling or giving stuff away. Figure about ten cents on the dollar for most yard sale stuff. Just go to the corner of your street on Saturday morning and look for signs with arrows. Most of them aren't listed in the newspaper or anywhere, just boxes with arrows or a sign on a post. Craig's List and FreeCycle are good online sources of stuff.

If you must pay retail, then there is Ross' although I'm not certain Maui has Ross's available, but the other islands do so Maui probably does, too.

Yeah, asking the neighbors will probably get a lot of good stuff, too. We occasionally set up folks with "stuff" since we get so much good stuff at yard sales and we then have too much. Houses in Hawaii are much smaller than their mainland counterparts so when new stuff comes in, usually old stuff must go out.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:22 PM

18,397 posts, read 19,027,378 times
we have several furniture stores, yes we do have ross as well
"reasonably priced" stores: BJ furniture the largest, best variety. sofas and more, first impressions, affordalbe furniture, litz
more expensive: latitudes, mooore's and minds eye

Old 02-17-2011, 12:55 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat13 View Post
We are setting up house (condo) on Maui and need suggestions on where to shop for furniture on a budget.
In Hawai'i:

If you buy new, in general you will pay more than on the mainland.

If you buy used, in general you will pay less than on the mainland.

Take your time, go to garage sales and thrift stores, you can buy anything.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:18 AM

Thanks All, will definitely ask the neighbors, check out BJ Furniture and Craigslist/yard sales. We did check out a few places in Lahaina but costs were way more than wanted to spend. Also found a consignment shop that had some small items. We don't need to furnish til May, any thoughts on costs on having furniture shipped from the mainland?

Also, any good places to get mattresses? Costco?

Old 02-18-2011, 12:23 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
We don't need to furnish til May, any thoughts on costs on having furniture shipped from the mainland?
Look for chain stores that have locations on Maui, online shopping and free "ship to store" feature. You get a greatly expanded selection that way, save a lot over shipping it direct to your address, even if you have to pay for local delivery once it arrives, because your order rides along in the containers with that store's regular stocking order. On very large items you might get hit with a bump for Hawai'i stores, but for most items, no. I've ordered that way from Sears, Home Depot, Costco, WalMart. The only downside is that it takes maybe 3 weeks to a month and a half. But you get a much better selection that way.

Also, if you happen to be traveling through Honolulu, you might consider scheduling time for a shopping trip to discount stores on Oahu. The cost to ship furniture inter island is a lot less than from the mainland, and if you happen to catch something you like that was direct shipped from Asia, rather than going through mainland distribution, you can save a lot. Here on the Big Island, for instance, there are a number of places selling bamboo, teak, rattan and wicker furniture that is direct shipped from Indonesia, China, etc. and you can find some very good buys that way.

But the best buys are still the Moving Sales. There are so many people moving back to the mainland all the time that you really have an amazing selection at phenomenal prices. I had some lead time myself when I first arrived, so I rented a small storage unit to put my yard sale and thrift shop "finds" in until I was ready to move in.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:59 PM

Thanks OpenD. Good advice, I will look into those options!

Old 02-18-2011, 01:24 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,110 times
Default CraigsList

Quote:
Hello,

I have read a few threads that alot of the mainland chains (Target, Kohls etc) are not here, we are also looking for basics such as linens, kitchen items etc., so any suggestions on that front would be appreciated.

Mahalo
Aloha,
Your best and probably quickest bet will be Craigs List. You can find entire condo set-ups or individual pieces. You'ld be surprised what folks don't want or need.
K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: