Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2007, 10:00 AM

3 posts, read 59,306 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting Lahaina this summer and would love to get a traditional hand-tapped somoan tattoo from an authentic and accreditted shop. I've exhausted Google search and was unable to find any information. If anyone could point me to some good spots it would be greatly appreciated. Of course anything within reasonable driving distance could be considered. Thanks in advance!

Bry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 07:21 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan52803 View Post
I will be visiting Lahaina this summer and would love to get a traditional hand-tapped somoan tattoo from an authentic and accreditted shop. I've exhausted Google search and was unable to find any information. If anyone could point me to some good spots it would be greatly appreciated. Of course anything within reasonable driving distance could be considered. Thanks in advance!

Bry
Most likely, you probably aren't going to get a traditional Samoan tatau on Maui, since there's no tufunga ta tatau among the few Samoans that can afford to live there. You'd have better luck getting a tatau in Auckland, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, or Carson, California. However, before you get a tatau, I strongly recommend learning about Samoan culture and history. Too many folks (Samoans among them) get tatau just because it looks "cool" and have no idea what it means.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the feedback, and yes I've done my share of research

Well that's too bad there's nothing on Maui. Is there an island that is close that travel to and from would be relatively inexpensive and quick? Or am I pretty much out of options unless I pluck down alot of $$$$? Thanks again

Bryan

Old 05-07-2007, 07:29 PM

*bump!* Anyone have any idea? I'm clueless on the region and fairies and such...

Old 05-08-2007, 01:11 PM

62 posts, read 282,034 times
What I recommend is doing a google search for just what you asked about. As far as transportation to outer islands that would be by plane. You can checkout www.iflygo.com, www.hawaaianairlines.com or www.alohaairlines.com (broken link)

We do have the Supperferry set to open in July. That will take you to Oahu. And there is a small ferry that travels to Molokai. But like the pp said you may have better luck in Vegas. There are however some Hawaiian tatoo artists in hawaii

Old 12-10-2011, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 7,949 times
You would most likely have a Hawaiian hand tap tattoo being done and most of those, who know what they are doing, make the tattoo, and put it on you are on O'ahu. Although there are also Samoan hand tap on O'ahu too but you'd be lucky to find a very good on on Maui.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: