Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 12:26 AM

4 posts, read 22,346 times

Advertisements

Hi... does anyone else have these small flying bugs in their house? they're attracted to light, have clear wings, and they are everywhere!!! a lot of times i find them dead around the lights. any idea how to get rid of them permanently? they gross me out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 01:22 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
Are they termites?

Sometimes you can take a pan of water, put some dish soap in it to lower the surface tension and then shine a light down onto it (put the light about a foot away). The bugs fly to the light and fall in and drown.

Or get geckos, they will eat the bugs for you.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:50 AM

150 posts, read 415,605 times
Gnats! We have millions of them. I'm in Kihei too. Supposedly Feb and March are the worst months so we're hoping they die down. They come through the window screens - they're so small. I can't work on my computer in the dark without inhaling a few. Tried a few things: get an all natural bug spray (whole foods, or a natural brand at Lowes or Home Depot - mostly lemongrass oil) Spray it on an old rag and wipe down your window screens from top to bottom. It smells bad though and my kids hate it. Plus once the smell goes away so does the efficacy. Tomorrow I'm trying another suggestion: Dryer sheets. use them to wipe down your screens. Its from all our rain this season. We're lucky-although Kihei is hotter than most spots on the Island it's also usually dryer and therefore less buggy. But not now that's for sure.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:37 AM

820 posts, read 3,034,853 times
If you put some in a clear baggie, you can take it out to the Ag folks by the airport and they will tell you what they are.

They might be gnats, but if they are termites you really need to take action, especially since they are inside your house.

We had an infestation of small brown beetles, which Ag called pasta beetles and I called pain-in-the-okole beetles. It started with us noticing a few, then they grew exponentially into a major problem in the pantry. The weird thing was that they started in the master bedroom! Turns out they came in with one of those neck warmers filled with rice, and when we found that warmer on the shelf in the closet it was eaten through, filled with egg casings and larvae and truly disgusting. In the meantime the beetles had flown throughout the house, got into a lot of foodstuffs and every drawer and cupboard. It took a major cleaning to get rid of them, tossed out a lot of contaminated food, and now everything is in glass jars or tight-lidded plastic containers. Every now & then a package of food comes into the house and we put it in glass and then bugs start hatching. But at least we have it isolated.

So - long story there - but meant to illustrate that you are best served to handle the problem early before whatever these are get into spots it will be expensive for you to access.

The Ag folks are really helpful. Just call first to make sure they will have the right person available, as they are busy on the island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui