Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:48 PM

174 posts, read 349,135 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to research the grounding of this sailboat and this is all I have uncovered so far (some info which I have redacted):

January 11, 2010 (by Chris Hamilton)
LAHAINA - Six Halloweens ago, an Oahu man ran the 30’, steel-hulled Dolphin aground in an effort to reach Lahaina's big party night. Now the 22-ton hulk rests on sand in just 6’ of water at medium tide. It's situated inshore of a delicate reef and roughly 100 yards offshore from the Historic Lahaina Store at 744 Front St.
The Dolphin's become a joke to some, an eyesore to others and a treat to many tourists.
"The irony is that it's been there so long, it's probably become a national marine monument by now, with all the (state and federal) permits it would take to remove it," said McKelvey, who's dived down to see the wreck up close himself. "It's sitting in the Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary," he said. "It's a complete marine habitat under the waterline, filled with more fish and sea life than an aquarium in a fancy restaurant. It's choke wit da kine."

I am looking for a lighthearted version of the story behind this sailboat (w/o political aspects), if anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 09:12 PM

I also found this:

[SIZE=3]7. Re: Sunken yacht off Lahaina. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Sep 30, 2009, 1:46 AM[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]It all happened Halloween night 2004.....[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The guy had dropped anchor and went in to party on Halloween night. He did a poor job though and there was a south swell at that time so the boat was carried onto the reef where it sits today. The owner of the boat had recently come into an inheritance used almost all of that money to buy that sail boat for cash, but he didn't insure it. Around that time a new law was passed about damaging reefs and there was to be a fine of something like $10,000 a DAY for each day it was there. Also Maui didn't have the right large equipment on island to remove it from the reef. So it sat for a while until the state figured out what to do, meanwhile racking up an insane amount of money in fines. Turns out that this was the first case for this new law. The guy was also in the military. Allegedly the government didn't want to make an example out of the guy since he was one of their own. So in a settlement the state took ownership of the boat, the owner was released of all fines. The boat was stripped and stands where it is now as part of the reef. The day after it happened there was a ton of debris on the beach right there by Cheeseburger's. I have a couple friends who have a few random "artifacts" from it. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]This is the jist of the story, please correct me or clarify on anything.[/SIZE]

Old 05-23-2011, 09:16 PM

More info:

2006 March 29 - The abandoned Shipwreck in the Lahaina Harbor, on Maui, Hawaii

The story that I have heard around town is that the owner of this boat purchased it in Honolulu Hawaii in October of 2004. He did not have enough cash to secure insurance for the boat. However, he wanted to attend the Halloween celebration in Lahaina, Maui's version of Mardi Gras. So without insurance, he sailed to the island of Maui. He anchored off shore, and went to party the night away. His anchor failed during the night. The ship drifted toward shore, hit a reef, and sunk. Here is sits. He can not afford to have it salvaged. He now has his payments on the loan he took on the boat and fines from the State of Hawaii for every day the boat remains there, as it ended up in a marine sanctuary. At least that is the word on the streets of Old Lahaina Town.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:59 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
What is your intent with this posting? Just curious.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:26 PM

A scrapbook page!

Old 05-24-2011, 09:45 AM

101 posts, read 249,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
What is your intent with this posting? Just curious.
I have to admit, DH and I have been curious about that boat since our first visit to Maui. This is the first time we've heard the story though.

I agree that it would do more harm than good to move the boat now as it has become home to so much marine life. It also serves as a wonderful reminder to sailors to double check your ground tackle every single time.

Thanks for the thread!

Old 05-24-2011, 10:38 AM

21 posts, read 58,521 times
Default Fyv...

Old 05-24-2011, 10:44 AM

820 posts, read 3,034,996 times
Even if the whole boat never gets removed, it would be nice to take off the mast and rigging. Would probably have to add flags or something to the hull so that someone doesn't run into it. But as interesting and conversation-invoking as it is, it really is just a wreck sitting out in the middle of a beautiful spot.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:17 PM

101 posts, read 249,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
Even if the whole boat never gets removed, it would be nice to take off the mast and rigging. Would probably have to add flags or something to the hull so that someone doesn't run into it. But as interesting and conversation-invoking as it is, it really is just a wreck sitting out in the middle of a beautiful spot.
Boats are routinely scuttled at the end of their lives to create artificial reefs that are beneficial to marine life and attract recreational divers (the two aren't mutually exclusive). As long as it wasn't carrying a full tank of gas or diesel there is no reason to damage the reef further by dragging it off. And since it doesn't take long for the marine life to stake their claim, unless the boat is moved fairly soon after the grounding it does more harm than good.

Just my .02.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:58 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,861 times
Decorate it for the various holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui