Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:43 PM

159 posts, read 367,466 times

Advertisements

At the Asian markets, they also have shrimp chips that you can fry up yourself. Super fresh that way, melt on your tongue. Kroepoek, krupuke, spelled different ways depending on which country it comes from. Do you have a 99 Ranch Market in your area? Have a lot of success getting Indonesian and Malaysian ingredients there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 08:11 PM

84 posts, read 152,381 times
Thank you so much for offering, Dreaming and Kona Sun. I might take you up on the offers. Right now I am feeling pretty good. The lady at KTA called me yesterday and said that the manager at the Hilo Downtown store will be contacting me about shipping details and the price by Friday. She said they are going to do it.

I can't wait! Yumm!! I'll let you guys know what happens. Thanks for all the good wishes!

Also, to those who mentioned the Asian markets and their shrimp chips, thanks. But I like the subtle flavor of these weird pieces of 'styrofoam'. They actually don't have any animal products in them and they pop on your tongue like pop rocks.

Last edited by DeirdreDedra; 08-23-2011 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: answering more people

Old 08-23-2011, 10:14 PM

351 posts, read 587,333 times
Default Those are the same type of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeirdreDedra View Post
Also, to those who mentioned the Asian markets and their shrimp chips, thanks. But I like the subtle flavor of these weird pieces of 'styrofoam'. They actually don't have any animal products in them and they pop on your tongue like pop rocks.
But DeirdreDedra, those are the same kind of chips that aloha_silverlining is talking about! Growing up in Hawaii and eating shrimp chips all my life, trust me those are the same kind, except that the Maui ones do not have the added food coloring that the typically store bought ones from asian markets have.

I've eaten them in Chinese Restaurants where these chips are used to garnish platters of roast duck,etc., brought small bags with me to school for snacking on, and have seen my parents frying them up for pupus during a dinner/cocktail party.

Here's a local food blog which talks about the chips you love. If you go down to the 12th paragraph (it starts with, Speaking of swelling up), Pomai talks about the same thing I'm talking about.

Unless you're adverse to deep-frying, why don't you try it.

Here's the link: Maui Style® Shrimp Chips | The Tasty Island

Old 08-24-2011, 11:27 AM

Hi Honolulu and Silverlinging,

I'm a vegetarian and like that the Frito Lay doesn't have any shrimp ingredients at all. I remember growing up eating the colored ones when we went to Chinese restaurants in Florida. That's where I acquired the taste and affinity for the weird texture. And there is a Japanese restaurant here in Tulsa that serves them. So I went right over and bought some from them when I got back from Hawaii. She said it wasn't shrimp, just shrimp flavor. I was hoping for artificial shrimp flavor. But as soon as I tasted them I knew the flavor came from real shrimp. And it might not have bothered me years ago, but now I have an aversion to foods made with animal products. I hope that answers the question of why I am being so picky and pilikia.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:38 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu21 View Post
But DeirdreDedra, those are the same kind of chips that aloha_silverlining is talking about! Growing up in Hawaii and eating shrimp chips all my life, trust me those are the same kind, except that the Maui ones do not have the added food coloring that the typically store bought ones from asian markets have.

I've eaten them in Chinese Restaurants where these chips are used to garnish platters of roast duck,etc., brought small bags with me to school for snacking on, and have seen my parents frying them up for pupus during a dinner/cocktail party.

Here's a local food blog which talks about the chips you love. If you go down to the 12th paragraph (it starts with, Speaking of swelling up), Pomai talks about the same thing I'm talking about.

Unless you're adverse to deep-frying, why don't you try it.

Here's the link: Maui Style® Shrimp Chips | The Tasty Island
Oh I thought this thread was about shrimp potato chips. I didn't realize those Maui Style chips were made by Frito Lay. In Plano of all places... That's the funniest thing I've ever heard.

Why would they not sell it in Texas? There's a huge Asian population there, ESPECIALLY in PLANO.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeirdreDedra View Post
Hi Honolulu and Silverlinging,

I'm a vegetarian and like that the Frito Lay doesn't have any shrimp ingredients at all. I remember growing up eating the colored ones when we went to Chinese restaurants in Florida. That's where I acquired the taste and affinity for the weird texture. And there is a Japanese restaurant here in Tulsa that serves them. So I went right over and bought some from them when I got back from Hawaii. She said it wasn't shrimp, just shrimp flavor. I was hoping for artificial shrimp flavor. But as soon as I tasted them I knew the flavor came from real shrimp. And it might not have bothered me years ago, but now I have an aversion to foods made with animal products. I hope that answers the question of why I am being so picky and pilikia.
No problem DeirdreDedra...we all like something particular...I'm in search of an Canadian or European company that will ship Koningsvogel Sambal Badjak (Hot Indonesian Fried Chili Paste) to me as the US FDA won't let it be imported anymore. The company uses beef broth and the FDA is worried about "Mad Cow" disease. Must be what has infected all the US politicians' brains, to bad the ban came to late.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:04 PM

I know! Who are these people in charge controlling such silly things? I'm just hours from Plano, I could drive down but they will not sell them to me. And I think you are right about the politicians all having mad cow disease because they are all acting like they don't have much brain matter left in their skulls. But that's another topic altogether and I know we all don't want to get started with that.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:01 PM

Ron from KTA called me and as soon as I send out the money order, they'll send me the chips. I don't want to tell you how much it's going to cost. The chips are $36 for 12 bags, regular price. Not bad. Shipping is crazy but I'm only doing this once.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:07 PM

Glad you're getting your fix. Enjoy!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:32 PM

Thanks! I sent out the money order today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui