Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2007, 06:13 PM

86 posts, read 373,094 times

Advertisements

Our experiences so far....

My husband and I landed on Maui one month ago yesterday.

The island is beautiful and I love the weather. Being a very cold natured person, the temperature is absolutely perfect IMO. I love that I can wear tank tops and shorts every day. We haven't experienced much rain since we've been here, and the rain that we do get is more like a light mist. The sky is consistently blue with perfect white clouds and our windows are always open. The ocean here is the most beautiful water I have ever seen. It is crystal clear and the most wonderful blue. There is always something to do, and I feel guilty if I don't do something outside everyday.

We found our apartment/condo through mauinews.com and signed a 6 month lease sight-unseen. We did do a pretty good bit of research about the area and the condos where we live, and we are pretty happy with our choice. I do recommend going with a short-term lease (1-2 months) until you decide exactly where you want to live on the island. But for us, we are close to work and the condo suits us just fine.

We did not have to put a deposit down on our electric because we had our previous electric company fax them a good referal letter. Otherwise, the electric deposit would have been a couple hundred dollars. Our car insurance went up by about $10 a month (mitsubishi eclipse). All our other bills are covered in the rent or haven't changed (cell phone, car, etc.).

The prices are a bit of a shock, but nothing we can't handle. The biggest difference is the price of rent. We moved from TN where we were paying $680 a month for a 2br/2ba apartment and now we are paying $1450 for a 2br/1ba condo. Granted, our condo is furnished, which is very nice. Food prices are a little bit higher. My husband and I spend about $140 a week (we used to spend about $100 a week) at Costco and the local grocery, but I'm hoping that will start going down now that we've gotten some staples out of the way. $140 a week seems like a lot, but you should know that my husband eats like a bodybuilder (which is about twice what any normal person should eat and includes lots of steaks, chicken, and pork chops).

We shipped our car with Pasha Hawaii. It was $975 and the car arrived in perfect condition! Not an extra scratch on it. It was a little bit of a hassle to deal with their schedule, but we survived it. Since they only have one boat, they only have one schedule, and if that one boat gets behind, the schedule gets changed forever. So, you have to keep an eye on the schedule. When the schedule did get changed Pasha did not charge us anything to drop the car off early. They just held our car for a week before it shipped. And true to their word, the car arrived when they said it would (all-be-it, a week later than when we first scheduled it for). So, other than having to pay for a rental car for an extra week, Pasha was great to deal with. Very nice, very friendly, very helpful.

Just for reference. If you don't want to pay a fee, you have to register your car within 10 days of picking it up. But before you can register it, you will have to have a safety inspection. Our first try at a safety inspection revealed that our windows are tinted too dark and the inspector told us that we would have to either take a rasor-blade and scrape off the tint or take it to a car shop and have them take the tint off. I decided to get a second opinion and asked a friend for the name of another inspector. He said my windows were just fine. But I had to pay for both inspections. So, for future reference, ask around for the name of an inspector first. It will save you $20 and a headache.

From the time we started our move to our first paycheck in HI, we spent more than $8000. Some of our expenses include:

Ship car....$975
Plane tickets (2) from CA... $550
Cross Country Drive... $600
Condo (2 months rent, 1 deposit)... $3400
food/gas.... $600
shipping (clothes, pictures, etc.) with USPS... $600
rental car... $850
1st month's bills (phone, electric, car, etc.)... $400

Finally, our experiences here have been good. We like it here. Please don't tell me that I need to leave. But we haven't been overwhelmed with "Aloha". The way I see it, we've lived aloha all our lives. Only, we've always called it "Southern Hospitality". I think we were partly disappointed when we arrived because we had this great idea of what "aloha" was, but it really wasn't any different that what we were used to. It has nothing to do with being treated badly or "haole hate", it just didn't seem as grand as what everyone made it out to be. My reason for saying this is because what you experience in Hawaii comes not only from what is here but also from what you bring with you. Hawaii may be dramatically different from what you are used to, or it may be very similar (and for those who say that island life is nothing like the mainland, you need to visit East Tennessee). It is good to be prepared, but when you come, my best advice is *leave your expectations and your vision of Hawaii on the mainland*. Just come with an open mind. Let yourself be pleasantly surprised by what the islands have to offer.

Southern Aloha to you all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 06:26 AM

30 posts, read 236,676 times
Great post--Thanks!!

Old 08-30-2007, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 17,645 times
Post Thanks for the post...

Thank you so much for all the info! My family & I are moving there from Alaska! My husbands job is sending us that way! I was very excited at first but now I am kinda scared because of all the things I keep hearing about all the Haole hate! We are moving there from Alaska for my husbands wk, we struggle hard here (he is in construction and the winters are long) there he will be able to wk year round! So it wld kill me to see one of my kids come home all beat up, because we are there to try to a live better life!!
Please keep me posted on how things are going, you are helping me feel better about the move!!
Thanks again,

Old 11-27-2007, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 8,528 times
Smile Moving to Maui

Hi! My fiance and I are moving to Maui in the next month for her job, and are trying to find an apartment to rent in Central Maui, but not being there, it's difficult. Any suggestions on good areas to look?

Thanks,
Scott

Old 11-27-2007, 06:12 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
It's been mentioned before, Iao Parkside is a large condo complex, centrally located close to pretty much everything, nice public park nearby, I'ld recommend it if for nothing more than a short term location while you sort things out.

Aloha

Old 12-22-2007, 08:48 AM

90 posts, read 296,652 times
Iao Parkside is pretty expensive and that park is loaded with drug and alcohol addicts all day, everyday.

Those trucks parked in the corners don't belong to people walking their dogs and the people sitting in the bleachers(while no game is going on) aren't there for the sports.

Avoid Harbor Lights. It just keeps getting worse. Harbor View is alright though. There are good apartments in The Hills(Puuone Terrace, Mount Thomas, etc.). It's bordering central Maui and north shore but it's still close to everything and is pretty safe.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:51 PM

6 posts, read 36,562 times
Where in Eastern TN did you move from? I'm in Jonesborough and considering a move to Hawaii.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:04 PM

32 posts, read 114,016 times
Hi!
Im from East Tennessee (Kingsport) and my husband and I are dreaming of retiring in Hawaii...preferably Maui. Its just us, and we are financially sound and understand the costs involved with such a move. Right now we are in Boston, MA and HATE it.

Right now we are just looking at real estate...we'd love to find new construction within a few miles of the beach.

I visited Maui in May just fell in love...and we went to Oahu in September. I can see myself needing a retail fix and flying over to Oahu, but Maui just makes me happy.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:34 PM

5 posts, read 25,358 times
Thanks for this post! My sister is moving to Maui in Feb & I'm trying to find an apt. for her. She needs to be close to MMMC....are there good/shady areas right there? She won't have a car for a while & needs to walk/ride a bike to the hospital...any recommendations from anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui