Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 05:51 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,771,127 times

Advertisements

What vyper said. Depends on what kind of neighborhood you will be comfortable in. Wahiawa and Mililani are right next to each other but very different. Where will you be working? I'll be off the board for three days and these folks are giving you great advice. If you like city life, go for Honolulu.
It's a great city. Check you out later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 10:05 PM

212 posts, read 689,575 times
I'm sure you're long gone by now, but I'm glad to hear this worked out for you and that you didn't let all the doom and gloom keep you down! Enjoy Hawaii.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:55 AM

14 posts, read 21,271 times
Congratulations! I always say that if you want something bad enough you will make it happen... at least that has been my experience. I wasn't really thinking about moving to Hawaii but over the last year I have gotten about 5 calls from recruiters about jobs in Honolulu. I in the process of finalizing the interviewing process right now. I have always been interested in living in different places especially in a warmer tropical climate.

Right after 9/11 I moved to Jamaica without a job after getting laid off and would probably still be there but had to come back to Atlanta b/c of family issues. Now I am really planning to do it again. There seems to be a great need in my field... IT Project Management. I didn't have to even look for a job there. Also I noticed that the pay has gone up over the last year which is a great sign... hopefully.

If you check back give an update about how it going. The job is in Honolulu but don't want to live there. From what I have been told the commute is not bad from Kailua... is that not true? I've been working from home the majority of time for the last 8 years so any commute is going to be an adjustment. I'm also concerned about finding a decent place to live and also getting my 2 dogs over there.

I just joined this forum today so I'm sure I will learn a lot from everyone.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:36 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,056,899 times
Amanda, it sounds like things are going to go well for you.

So far as the dogs, it's a process but do-able. We are about halfway through the titer waiting process before me and my two dogs can join my spouse who is already there on his new job.

Here is the website for HI DOA: Animal Quarantine Information — Hawaii Department of Agriculture

Here is the checklist for bringing them in without having to make them suffer through quarantine: http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/aqs-checklist-5DOL.pdf

Good luck to you!

Old 06-07-2012, 01:16 PM

14 posts, read 21,271 times
DebbyDiver,

Thanks for the info. I have started going through the checklist. I have trouble getting copies of past vaccinations. I thought that would be the easy part. I brought then back with me from Jamaica. I wouldn't be able to do it if they had to actually site in quarantine for 120 days.... they wouldn't be the same. When I moved to Jamaica my parents ended up taking in my dog. I didn't expect to be there 4 years. I was miserable and would never give up another dog... I have had my dogs since they were puppies and they are around 9 years old now.

My house is in the process of being sold so I have already talked to a few friends about moving into my house and taking care of the dogs until they can come over. I've heard that if the process isn't followed to a T they would be forced to be quarantined which would be a disaster. This job opportunity has a lot of potential and would hate to have to move back if that happened.

I have so much to sort out and things are happening so fast I was just called about the job 2 weeks ago and my wedding was May 19th so my life is completely upside down. I am looking at what I want to ship over and what I want to sell. We have so much and don't want to end up putting a bunch of stuff in storage, but need to sell as much as possible. One thing I regretted when I moved to Jamaica is that I didn't bring anything except for clothes and essential items. This time I want to bring some of my family antiques so I can feel more at home.

I need to determine what will cost more to replace vs. shipping. I have a lot of research to do!

Thanks!
Amanda

Old 06-07-2012, 06:03 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,102,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaAtl View Post
From what I have been told the commute is not bad from Kailua... is that not true?
I work near downtown and have co-workers who make that commute. It is not considered a bad commute.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:36 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,056,899 times
Amanda, indeed you sure do have a lot going on in your life!!!

We live in the Caribbean also and looked into shipping...crazy...we're just selling/gifting/donating nearly everything and parcel-posting essentials.

I know that is not a decision for everyone! We are just at a point in our lives where our possessions just aren't worth moving. Again...not for everyone!!! I moved to the Caribbean with four pallets on the container ship (LCL) and a car and a kayak and two checked bags and you know what...I moved a lot more than I needed to. Seriously. I don't regret the car and kayak (although selling both before we move) but I could have eliminated 3 of the 4 pallets. And you know a pallet isn't that much. Could have parcel posted the one pallet for a fraction of the shipping cost. Live and learn.

However, the dogs are coming with!!! It's so hard, he's been there 6 weeks and I can't go until August but we both love our dogs so much. It is what it is. You will figure out what works for you as well.

Best wishes, it's obvious you are intelligent and have thought this out...you're going to be FINE.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:18 PM

10 posts, read 31,837 times
Default How Can You Get a Job In Maui Without Moving There First?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallit View Post
I'm sure you're long gone by now, but I'm glad to hear this worked out for you and that you didn't let all the doom and gloom keep you down! Enjoy Hawaii.
Aloha Gallit:

Mahalo. I didn't let the doom and gloom change my mind and I am so glad. I am enjoying everyday that I am here. I have not experienced any negativity from the locals or had issues on my job. I'm lovin' it.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:35 PM

10 posts, read 31,837 times
Armanda:

We ended up living in Waikiki on the quiet side away from the crazy tourist crowd. Stay away from those areas! Too noisy and people never go to sleep. We found a very secure and nicely maintained building and our apartment is the 35th floor. We have great view of the ocean and the mountains. We can walk to the beach, to shops, restaurants, entertainment or the park. We may not live in this area forever, but we like it for now. We have year lease, so after that, we may move to another area. We will research and see where we want to go. Commuting will always be a consideration.

My boss lives in Kailua and he loves it. He says his commute is not bad. However, the commute can be does be bad if you have to commute into Honolulu from the suburban areas. We travel in the opposite direction of the heavy traffic, so our commute is very easy. I love the Caribbean too, but I prefer living in an American state. So, Hawaii is as close to Paradise as I think I can get in America.

Good luck on your job decision. I didn't a dog, but hopefully, you will have yours soon. Also, our salaries are very good, but things are expensive, so just be prepared. Research for the best prices using the newspaper and go to different stores for the week's best deals. Use coupons and food/toiletries won't be too bad. We are very happy that we made the decision to move here and we find people are nicer, the living is easier and our lives are simpler. There are lots of activities on the Island and many are free. Just treat people like you want to be treated and most of the time, you will be treated well.

Good Luck and mahalo!

Shamone

Old 06-12-2012, 03:11 AM

236 posts, read 649,467 times
Can I ask your rent, Shamone? That does sound very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui