Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 03:10 PM

20 posts, read 27,843 times

Advertisements

Hi. Thought to add this to the Maui-Hawaii conversation: I'm trying to organize a chartered flight for myself and two Labs from CA to Maui. I've learned that Independent Jets flies doggie groups over from Van Nuys to Hawaii. The best deal is on what is called an empty leg. The more people, the less it costs to arrange a private chartered flight to Hawaii.

Anyone interested for plans this coming year Jan. or Feb 2013? Hawaii requires a lot of conditions that takes about 6 months to complete, but once everything is checked off the list, you can walk off the plane, show the paperwork, and be free to leave with your dog(s). That's the main reason why I'm planning way in advance. I'm flexible on the time-date, the main thing is getting enough people together to reduce the fare for each passenger.

Anyone interested? Let's work on it together!

aloha,
Dogs For Maui!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 12:57 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,129 times
You should start a new topic about that, dogsformaui. Just randomly tacking it onto a thread about a different subject won't get you the replies you're seeking.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:18 PM

14 posts, read 26,362 times
You can totally get a job here from the mainland. My hubby did before we moved here 5 months ago. We had lived here before so it made it a bit easier to get re- settled. A lot of people do not want to hire unless you live here locally because they don't want to waste their time with someone who might not end up moving here after all. You have to see it from their point of view. The first time I moved here I had no job and it was not a problem when I got here. I know the hospitals and many drs are always looking for competent help. Or you can always come out for a long weekend or week and see what you can find.

Best of luck!
Shel

Old 06-17-2012, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,853 times
My husband and I moved from California in 2004 with our two labs to Maui, I cried and was worried but they did great and loved Maui. We had to move back due to a family emergency but are again planning to go back and now live in Oregon. We would be interested in a private plane if we could afford it. We tried this originally and couldn't get enough people so please give me a way to reach you and discuss this. Our labs are now 8 years old and it is always scary to put them on the airplane...our dogs are everything to us. We sold our condo and are looking at rentals but want to move by 2013 at the latest. We have friends and a great realtor friend to help with the basics, but I would be so happy to fly with them. Thanks and I hope to hear from you soon.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:31 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,129 times
Ziggydog, both you and Dogsformaui need to start a thread about moving your dogs...it's buried in this thread, look, nobody has replied to DFM. People look at the subjects on forum threads and the subject of this thread has nothing to do with dogs. The topic of this thread is "How Can You Get a Job In Maui Without Moving There First?", not "how do I move my dogs to Maui?"

Go ahead, start one about moving your dogs...you'll get a lot more replies.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:20 PM

10 posts, read 31,814 times
Smile Rent cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex7777 View Post
Can I ask your rent, Shamone? That does sound very nice.
Aloha Alex:

The rent is $1800 and it includes electricity, cable, internet, land phone, trash and water. The building is superbly maintained too. I have central air, which I think is unique too.

Good luck!

Shamone

Old 11-10-2013, 08:08 PM

3 posts, read 3,545 times
Default Hired before arriving on Maui!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Unless one is lucky enough to get a transfer from a mainland company, know someone, or have some highly specialized skill - you don't get jobs in Hawaii before moving here.

Best option is move - get a local address - knock on doors.
Actually, I was recently hired by a local Child Welfare agency. I applied online, and completed my interview via Skype. I did undergo a thorough background and reference check. So, I guess it depends on what industry you work in.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:32 PM

17 posts, read 28,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socwrk1 View Post
Actually, I was recently hired by a local Child Welfare agency. I applied online, and completed my interview via Skype. I did undergo a thorough background and reference check. So, I guess it depends on what industry you work in.
I sent you a private message...I'm in the same field and just applied to several positions!

Old 12-18-2013, 09:48 AM

107 posts, read 164,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamone View Post
Hi

My husband and I are planning on moving to Maui in 2012. I'm an experienced registered nurse and he is a HVAC technician. We're middle-aged and have decided after visiting Maui several times over the years that we want to move there permanently. We think I should go first and establish residence and my husband would follow later. We plan to sell most of our stuff, our house and rent. We are tired of being home owners and think renting the rest of our lives would be better. Our children are grown. We will have saved some money and feel comfortable with having it for a fallback for a little while if times get hard. One of our friend moved there 5 years ago he and his wife love it (he transferred through his company).

My question is, how to you get a job without moving there first? I see posts where people said they had jobs before moving there. But i also see posts where people say, that Hawaii only hires locals. So, how can you get a job if you are not local? I really don't want to move there without a job. As a nurse, I have always had a job. But i see some posts that even nursing jobs are hard to come by in Maui.

Can anyone help tell how I can get a job first without moving there and how did they do the interview?

Thanks to anyone who care to answer. I am feeling a little anxious about our decision.

May I recommend that you not work in a Nursing home there ~ Work for Dole in Hawaii and you'll be able to enjoy the outdoors and all that Hawaiian life has to offer ~ Plus you get to eat Pineapple around the clock ~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui