Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:08 PM

36 posts, read 99,422 times

Advertisements

Hi teeej,

Grocery is pretty expensive here. I was so surprised by the price of cereal. $4 cereal in LA costs about $6 here. Looks like processed food is expensive, but fruits and vegetable are just a little bit more than LA. Gas in Maui is around $4.85 now. It looks like you can find 1bed 1bath around $1200 to $1800 which could be cheaper than LA. $2000 2bd 2ba in Haiku we checked out had a huge yard and so beautiful. Restaurants are not that expensive maybe it feels so because of cheaper tax here.

There are some stuff cheaper than LA. For example, we went to George Lopez show, and it was just $45 which costs about $88 in Reno, Nevada (I just checked online), and I am assuming it would be more if it's in LA. I found a cute bikini for $49. Fruits sold on street are cheap too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 09:05 PM

534 posts, read 480,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanana123 View Post
Hi teeej,

Grocery is pretty expensive here. I was so surprised by the price of cereal. $4 cereal in LA costs about $6 here. Looks like processed food is expensive, but fruits and vegetable are just a little bit more than LA. Gas in Maui is around $4.85 now. It looks like you can find 1bed 1bath around $1200 to $1800 which could be cheaper than LA. $2000 2bd 2ba in Haiku we checked out had a huge yard and so beautiful. Restaurants are not that expensive maybe it feels so because of cheaper tax here.

There are some stuff cheaper than LA. For example, we went to George Lopez show, and it was just $45 which costs about $88 in Reno, Nevada (I just checked online), and I am assuming it would be more if it's in LA. I found a cute bikini for $49. Fruits sold on street are cheap too.
I don't know what I would do having access to POG juice year-round. We go through so many cartons of those when we are on vacation. I bet you could buy stuff like cereal on Amazon to save some $$ if you lived there. I don't think I've been to Haiku - we usually stay in Kaanapali. I doubt I could afford Kaanapali.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:56 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
The biggest cost difference that someone on vacation has not experienced in Hawaii is the electric bill. It is basically a car payment. $300+ per month is more common than not. Figure double or triple or more from the mainland.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 PM

Hi whtviper1, I think it depends on where you live. The place we are staying doesn't have AC, and we don't have any problem so far. Actually I am wearing long sleeves now. I talked to some people in South Kihei, and they say they don't need AC, but North Kihei or Lahaina could be hot. So I am assuming it depends on where you live.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:29 PM

Many people have $300 electric bills without AC - if you want to run central AC with 2,000 sq ft house in Maui - $500+

Many people can go without total AC - many can't (like me). Keep in mind you are here in April, the hot weather has yet to arrive.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:36 PM

I see. That makes sense. Thanks for the information.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:52 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
My bills are about $150 without AC... and the exact same with AC (I ran it every day for a couple weeks when I was sick). Something is fishy. Yet I've checked the meter before and it matched the bills.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:26 AM

wiskosmosis, $150 is not bad at all. We pay that much or more sometimes in Los Angeles for 2 bedroom home.

A little update. We went to wal-mart the other day. Everything was so cheap! Exactly same as the mainland. When we move to Maui, I think we will come to Kahului every week, and buy a lot of stuff from Wal mart or Costco to save money.

I realized meat and fish are cheaper in Maui compared to in Los Angeles even at expensive grocery stores. I don't eat meat much though.

We went to Down to Earth yesterday. Love the place. The salad was so good and it beats the Whole Foods salad bar!

One thing that's bugging my husband is mosquito. For some reasons, he gets bitten all the time (me, sometimes). That's annoying him. We're staying on the north side, and I wonder if there are many mosquitos in Kihei or Lahaina too. Maybe more mosquitos on the north side, because of many trees? It seems like there are more mosquitos in Haiku, Makawao, Hiking courses on Hana hwy and Kula area.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanana123 View Post
wiskosmosis, $150 is not bad at all. We pay that much or more sometimes in Los Angeles for 2 bedroom home.

A little update. We went to wal-mart the other day. Everything was so cheap! Exactly same as the mainland. When we move to Maui, I think we will come to Kahului every week, and buy a lot of stuff from Wal mart or Costco to save money.

I realized meat and fish are cheaper in Maui compared to in Los Angeles even at expensive grocery stores. I don't eat meat much though.

We went to Down to Earth yesterday. Love the place. The salad was so good and it beats the Whole Foods salad bar!

One thing that's bugging my husband is mosquito. For some reasons, he gets bitten all the time (me, sometimes). That's annoying him. We're staying on the north side, and I wonder if there are many mosquitos in Kihei or Lahaina too. Maybe more mosquitos on the north side, because of many trees? It seems like there are more mosquitos in Haiku, Makawao, Hiking courses on Hana hwy and Kula area.
Wink can provide you details - but he isn't exactly living the life of luxury to get the electric to $150/month - his result is not typical.

Mosquito's thrive in standing water where they lay their eggs. Therefore, you'll always find a lot more on the northern/windward areas as opposed to the southern westerly/leeward areas.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:05 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Yes, that $150 is for a 500sq ft cottage with CFL bulbs, laptop computer, etc.

$150 for LA with air conditioning is impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui