Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 03:14 PM

62 posts, read 206,355 times

Advertisements

I'm in Maui this week to scope out the island for a potential move there next summer. I plan on looking at some of the condos and home available currently to give me an idea of the places avail/prices. Luckily I won't be shocked by prices as I already live in Southern California - but want to get a feel for the areas/availability.

Is there anything else I can do while on the island to make a move a little easier? Is there anything I can to prep for moving my dog or a vehicle? Is there any paperwork or things I can start on now while I'm there? Anyone I can visit with to get the ball rolling and make sure I have all the necessary things in place when it comes time to move?

Any rental/management companies or agents you recommend I talk to to help me tour a few properties? I've checked craigslist as well but not much on there.

any other tips while I'm visiting to help my decision and make the move a little smoother?

Of course I'm going to check out almost all areas of the island, beaches, amenities to get an idea of where to live.

Just figured if I can run a few "errands" to make things easier down the road, I could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 12:00 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,902 times
You have got to be kidding us! First, if you have a pet, you MUST search the forum and/or visit the state's Ag site to get things started for your furry companion. The requirements are exacting and take a while -- and some $$$ to complete. Especially if you don't want "Fluffy" to end up in quarantine.

Vehicle is easier: sell and replace here or ship. Lots of options. Use the forum "Search" feature to evaluate what's best for you.

Second, you're here now, but where? And where are you thinking you want to live/work on Maui? It's not BIG like the Big Island, but it *is* divided by neighborhood areas, so what do you do? Where do you want to end up, etc?

Best of luck.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
You have got to be kidding us! First, if you have a pet, you MUST search the forum and/or visit the state's Ag site to get things started for your furry companion. The requirements are exacting and take a while -- and some $$$ to complete. Especially if you don't want "Fluffy" to end up in quarantine.

Vehicle is easier: sell and replace here or ship. Lots of options. Use the forum "Search" feature to evaluate what's best for you.

Second, you're here now, but where? And where are you thinking you want to live/work on Maui? It's not BIG like the Big Island, but it *is* divided by neighborhood areas, so what do you do? Where do you want to end up, etc?

Best of luck.

Why do I have to be kidding?

Yeah I've researched the pet moving thing. Going to possibly hire one of the transfer companies but my Vet may be able to help as well. Wondered if it would be worth talking to someone at the airport or on the island about the transfer. Seems to change the dynamic when you meet/talk to people face to face instead of email.

Probably ship the vehicle. Would it be worth visiting the maui shipyard or talking to anyone to scope things out while I'm on the island? I want to move a big Jeep and motorcycle.

I'm staying in Wailea... I'll be all over the island getting a feel for things. But based on weather I'm probably thinking Lahaina or Kihea or Wailea.

I want to be on or near the water where I can kayak, snorkle and paddleboard. Not really into surfing so waves don't do much for me.

I have my own company and can pretty much work from anywhere, from home.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:42 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,101 times
Here's something to think about with Wailea and South Kihei... almost every afternoon the Makena Cloud comes, and it's overcast. It gets tiresome. North Kihei doesn't have that and Lahaina is sunny almost all the time. If I could live anywhere without having to commute, it would be Lahaina or the nearby suburbs hands down!

Old 12-06-2011, 10:19 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,039 times
Pet - the quarantine site is pretty clear, follow that, and it works great. 6 months is pret tight to get it all done though. The rabies shots have specific time lines and have to be recieved by the state. I don't see e point of hiring someone when you can do it yourself.

Make a list of normal grocery items you get and go to the store. Write down the totals to give yourself an idea. Note the cost of gas too. Basically, put your mind in the state of living there and where you would need to go to get normal things for daily life. Call on osme of the ads for places to live and ask about deposit/rent expectations and quality of places....washer dryer, or facilities, garbage disposal, dishwasher, etc.

I had positive experiences with Matson, but don't know if they ship directly to Maui. Calling them would suffice.

+1 on the advice that others give on renting a place for a month while you look for a place to live. If you ship your belongings, they can go in storage till you find a place.

Directly go see places on craigslist and talk to the agent. Will be a waste of time for them if you are not renting right then, but you can get some good info.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Here's something to think about with Wailea and South Kihei... almost every afternoon the Makena Cloud comes, and it's overcast. It gets tiresome. North Kihei doesn't have that and Lahaina is sunny almost all the time. If I could live anywhere without having to commute, it would be Lahaina or the nearby suburbs hands down!
This is great info. Yes, I'm used to the Southern California sun. And we get marine layer here for a couple months a year which is frustrating and I'd like to avoid that. I've dealt with clounds, wind, rain, cold almost my entire life and have now gotten used to SoCal weather. Would like to continue that beautiful weather wherever I move. I'm very much an outdoors person.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:17 PM
cwm

27 posts, read 149,144 times
Some recommendations:

Study the climate carefully on Maui - there are numerous microclimates due to the geography of the island and trade winds. The weather in Wailea is not the weather elsewhere.

Check Hawaii.gov to determine if there are any tax implications for your business in Hawaii.

Before buying a property check the property records online to verify the zoning, etc.
Aloha and welcome to the County of Maui’s Real Property Tax Assessment Website

Here are more resources for buying in Hawaii:
Your Ideal Hawaii Home

Best of luck on your move.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:06 PM

12 posts, read 26,605 times
When we moved this past summer, we used Ruth at Akona Pet to help us with all of the pet requirements so our dogs didn't end up in quarantine. It is $250 per pet and they do everything short of taking your pet to get their shots. When it is time to fly out, we had zero worries that something was done wrong. The move is stressful enough that having that peace of mind was fantastic.

Something that I did that might help you is that I had a spiral notebook that I took everywhere. As I thought of something that I needed to do or look into, I wrote it down so I wouldn't forget. I then made a three ring binder divided into tabs and as I booked things or made arrangements, I printed out the documentation and kept it in the binder. I kept 4 months of a blank calendar at the very front and wrote down when I needed to do something in pencil. I also kept a running list of the mail coming in that I would need to do address changes for as the date got closer. Organization is key to a big move like this. Good luck!

Old 12-06-2011, 08:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvnKona View Post
When we moved this past summer, we used Ruth at Akona Pet to help us with all of the pet requirements so our dogs didn't end up in quarantine. It is $250 per pet and they do everything short of taking your pet to get their shots. When it is time to fly out, we had zero worries that something was done wrong. The move is stressful enough that having that peace of mind was fantastic.

Something that I did that might help you is that I had a spiral notebook that I took everywhere. As I thought of something that I needed to do or look into, I wrote it down so I wouldn't forget. I then made a three ring binder divided into tabs and as I booked things or made arrangements, I printed out the documentation and kept it in the binder. I kept 4 months of a blank calendar at the very front and wrote down when I needed to do something in pencil. I also kept a running list of the mail coming in that I would need to do address changes for as the date got closer. Organization is key to a big move like this. Good luck!
$250 a pet seems really high for something you can do relatively easy on your own. It isn't a difficult process.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
$250 a pet seems really high for something you can do relatively easy on your own. It isn't a difficult process.
It is a little high but when you have 100 other just as important things to keep track of and do, it is nice to have a professional handle it to ensure nothing goes wrong. I can see the benefits of both hiring and DIY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui