Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 04:20 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,592,409 times

Advertisements

Blink,
There's something amiss with your electric bill. Mine is around 90-110 a month, larger place, same setup. I've got a killawatt meter if you want to borrow it.

Aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 04:07 PM

36 posts, read 99,585 times
Jungjohann, thanks for the info. 90-110 is really good. That's definitely affordable.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanana123 View Post
Jungjohann, thanks for the info. 90-110 is really good. That's definitely affordable.
Hannah - how many Kilowatts do you use per month in LA - that'll help you figure out what you may pay in Maui. Rates are running .36 cents KWhr. A typical family uses about 600 kilowatts in Hawaii - so you are looking at $216 + all the base fees, taxes, fees, etc. Use AC - it goes up from there.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:02 PM

Is there any good electronics store in Maui, like Bestbuy or Fry's?

Old 05-05-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Is there any good electronics store in Maui, like Bestbuy or Fry's?
No Best Buy - but there are places like Walmart, Costco, Radio Shack, Sears, etc.

Amazon is delivering more and more items to Hawaii. Crutchfield.com will air freight big electronics (like large screen TV's) to Hawaii for a decent price.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:53 AM

Thanks whtviper1. We love visiting electronics stores in Los Angeles... because there are not many things to do in LA I guess. We love Amazon and buy a lot of things from Amazon. So it's good to know they deliver stuff to Hawaii (hopefully free shipping for many items). I will remember Crutchfield.com too.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks whtviper1. We love visiting electronics stores in Los Angeles... because there are not many things to do in LA I guess. We love Amazon and buy a lot of things from Amazon. So it's good to know they deliver stuff to Hawaii (hopefully free shipping for many items). I will remember Crutchfield.com too.
Get a prime membership from Amazon - free expidited shipping about $75 a year and they do free streaming video's on demand like netflix included in the prime price.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:44 PM

8 posts, read 16,333 times
I Am from Southern Cali originally but lived on Maui for 5 years. I loved it. My husband and I moved to the mainland 6 months ago and we have just decided this week that we are going back ASAP. You do give up a lot by living in paradise (shopping options, job options, affordable housing options, seeing family often, etc...) but for the right kind of people all that stuff isn't enough to outweighs the pros of living on Maui.
We found that the friends we made on Maui became family (that tends to happen when a lot of mauiians are transplants... You end up spending birthdays and holidays and tsunami warning days with your friends and then they become Ohana. Maybe it's because our church (hope chapel in Kihei ) is so welcoming, but I can say from experience that after about a month going there I had met people I would know for a very long time.

Hey, if you do end up moving there message me if your interested in sharing a shipping container over

Aloha

Old 05-14-2012, 08:30 PM

69 posts, read 235,976 times
Any updates on what neighborhoods you liked best?

I am planning on going to look for myself soon in Honokowai and Lahaina town, but also want to consider Kihei.

I would consider the other side of the island, but I know I need the sun, so I have to be on the West or South side.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:08 PM

8 posts, read 16,333 times
The north (paia) gets plenty sunny as well. I lived on both Kihei and Lahaina sides of the island. More years were spent in Kihei though. Kihei has more options and is usually a little less $. Lahaina is the side to be on if surfing is your priority. Where will u be working? If the road closes due to wild fire, car accident, etc and your on the lahaina side you can be stuck over there for hours... Sometimes overnight. Kihei has better acces to "town" so closer proximity to hospital, Costco, airport, shopping, etc. hope this helps
Aloha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui