Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:35 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,526,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanormun View Post
Hi all
good info! It seems I wouldn't have a gas bill. It would also seem that solar is a good option.
Here's an interesting ad from Craigslist, that seems like kind of a trifecta for alternatives... it's an off-the-grid rental in Haiku that has solar energy, and rainwater catchment... so no bills there... and a gas range and refrigerator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 12:46 PM

65 posts, read 96,975 times
Smile Great advice!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
It is admirable that you would postpone a move for so long out of concern for your doggie.

I wonder though - couldn't you start an acclimation plan that would allow you to get your doggie used to confined spaces? Surely it would take time, but better that then wait until he passes away.

Get a crate, and go through a slow process to get him used to it. Of course don't just shove him in there for hours, which is what it would be like if you think he'd freak out on the airplane.

- Leave the crate somewhere the doggie spends time. In the living room, maybe as a new coffee table for you? Doggie will get over a new object.

- After a while, open the crate door and leave it open. That's it. Doggie will naturally explore the new space. But don't do anything else.

- Next step is to put something in the crate. Start storing doggie toys in there, maybe a towel you've used so the smell is there. Door is still open.

- Now comes the treats! What?!! Doggie is so happy to discover a treat in the crate. What a happy surprise to his doggie day. Repeat a couple of times a week.

- If doggie ever goes in the rest in the crate, big praise, big love. See if doggie will go in there, but then take him right out again, go for a walk, have some loving time. Repeat often - in, out, loving.

- And the day comes when you close the crate door with doggie inside. But open it again in just a minute or two. Repeat every time the doggie goes inside. Work up to more time. You are there the whole time. Big love!

- See if you can close the door, walk out of the room. Return soon. Repeat and increase.

- Will doggie sleep in the crate? Once doggie is used to the crate, sleeping in it (with door open and then with door closed), you can try bringing the crate with you in the car. Maybe doggie will work up to being in the crate in the car.

Yes, a long process, but it all involves loving time, and shorter than waiting 10 years. Doggies can freak out over change and fear, but they do trust you and want to please you.

Great help! I was s worry about my two dogs traveling to Maui. Both of them are never been locked up in the crate. I will start to train them right the way - we planning to move in Maui in Dec 2013!!!!!

Old 06-11-2013, 07:43 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,791,344 times
Dogs are tougher than you think. Our mutt is 11 years old and I was afraid she would have a heart attack or something flying. She got out of the kennel at the other end, tail wagging. No indication at all she was traumatized by it. I think it was worse for me up in the cabin worrying about her below. BTW, we don't give her any drugs.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:53 PM

569 posts, read 782,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Dogs are tougher than you think. Our mutt is 11 years old and I was afraid she would have a heart attack or something flying. She got out of the kennel at the other end, tail wagging. No indication at all she was traumatized by it. I think it was worse for me up in the cabin worrying about her below. BTW, we don't give her any drugs.
This is so true! When you look at how many dogs come out of abusive homes and (usually pretty quickly) are happily ready to join a new family, sitting in a crate for a few hours is puppy's play.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:22 PM

32,737 posts, read 48,376,508 times
Dogs don't have any concept of flying, so to the dog, it is no different than a ride in the car.

If they are accustomed to their crate, their crate is their secure cave, where they feel safe.

Any dog I've taken in-cabin just sleeps the whole way. I'm sure that is exactly how the dogs in cargo are traveling, too. The "cargo" area for pets is a special temperature and pressure controlled section of the plane, so the pet is comfortable.

The vibration of the plane lulls them right to sleep. Just the same as taking a fussy human baby for a ride around the block to get them to finally go to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui