Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 07:35 PM

62 posts, read 206,341 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what the rules are for a waverunner for around Maui. Are you able to "dock" or anchor on any beach and hang out? In SoCal you are not allowed to do that ANYWHERE along the coast, only in one of the bays.

What are the rules of boating here in HI and Maui specifically?

Also, would it be possible to take a jet ski/watercraft over to some of the smaller islands and anchor for an awesome private beach afternoon? I'm used to pretty rough waters and channels around Southern California and I assume the same goes for around Lanai and Molokai... wind, rough seas, etc to get across. But damn it would be fun!

Just curious as I sit on the beach in Maui and dream...

I own a waverunner in SoCal so I'm wondering if I could bring it over for these types of adventures without all the crazy rules in SoCal. Or buy one when I move here. Is there a good dealership on Maui that can sell and maintain them?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 09:50 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,789 times
This time of the year jet skis aren't even permitted, unless you're a LG. You're better off on a surfski or an OC1 anyways, no noise, no exhaust. Jet skis are like weedeaters on the water. Wouldn't want to be out on one today.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 12-11-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
This time of the year jet skis aren't even permitted, unless you're a LG. You're better off on a surfski or an OC1 anyways, no noise, no exhaust. Jet skis are like weedeaters on the water. Wouldn't want to be out on one today.

Aloha and okolemaluna
I figured there was some regulation going on. To not see any on the water for an area like this seemed odd. But yeah, they are kind of annoying with noise and disturbing marine life. I'm just thinking abougt something easy to tow yet still gets around in the ocean very well.

I'll check out a surfski or OC1 ... never heard of those ?!?

The dream of living in Maui may be coming true very quickly and I want to make sure of all the possibilities to know I'm doing the right thing.

Mahalo!

Old 12-11-2011, 10:41 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,672 times
I hardly ever see them, and I'm glad because they're a nuisance.

One time I was hiking in the most beautiful and remote place I've ever seen, Goose Lake in Wyoming.... and out of nowhere some guys started buzzing around on their ATVs. I could barely even see them but I could hear them. Don't need the same thing at the beach. Maybe if they started building them with MUFFLERS.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I hardly ever see them, and I'm glad because they're a nuisance.

One time I was hiking in the most beautiful and remote place I've ever seen, Goose Lake in Wyoming.... and out of nowhere some guys started buzzing around on their ATVs. I could barely even see them but I could hear them. Don't need the same thing at the beach. Maybe if they started building them with MUFFLERS.
My yamaha is actually pretty quiet until you get on it but that wouldn't be until the open ocean. On lakes they are a terrible neusance. Plus most people on them are idiots and don't understand the rules of boating.

I saw a few on trailers in driveways around wailea and kihei so it got me wondering where people go with them.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:28 AM

I'll give ya a surf ski lesson if the water mellows out a bit. Doesn't look too promising though in the next 48 hours, however, you can never tell.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 12-12-2011, 10:49 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,720 times
You *might* be able to get from Lahaina (Mala Ramp) to Lana'i on a flat day in summer. 10 miles. Going to Moloka'i would be nutty. The Pailolo Channel runs right between Lana'i and Moloka'i on its way to Maui, and you'd have to cross it. And get back, presumably. I have friends who were born here and have been on the water their whole lives who go from Mala to Moloka'i on a Zodiac, but they time that based on decades of sailing experience. I'd strongly recommend an EPIRB device for either trip, as you are not likely to see anybody else much.

I don't think you can legally dock/anchor anywhere on a beach here (Hawai'i -- whole state) either. Ingress and egress is severely limited to the few public docks/ramps on Maui.

Best of luck.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:29 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,737 times
A long time ago when we were riding ATV's on the Big Island we saw something out on the water and asked what it was. We were told that they were filming Water World over by Maui and that a guy who was working on the project, who lives on the Big Island, would ride his jet ski back and forth every day to work. I said, "That sounds awesome!". I was told that it is, until your jet ski breaks down in that channel between Maui and Hawai'i or you run out of gas. If either of those happen, you're gone!

Old 12-12-2011, 05:49 PM

I suspect someone was pushing your leg...

Aloha from the makani nui aisle

Old 12-13-2011, 10:32 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I suspect someone was pushing your leg...

Aloha from the makani nui aisle
They might have been. But for sure, some big Hawaiian looking dude was on a jet ski heading towards Maui for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui