Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:45 AM

13 posts, read 41,463 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

My wife and I are returning for our second trip to Maui on Jan. 20. We are very excited. We did not get to see Haleakala last time we went, so it is a priority (along with the whales) of ours to see this time.

I was curious, how do you get to Haleakala - can you drive there from Wailea / Kihei area or do you have to go to Hana first and drive from there? It isn't too clear on Google maps where you should start from.

Either way is ok since we have booked 1 night in Hana this time, but I was just a little curious about it. Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 01:35 PM

18,474 posts, read 19,123,204 times
no you do not have to go to hana first. head back towards the airport, take the highway to kula there are signs the whole way

Old 01-07-2012, 02:11 AM

820 posts, read 3,042,750 times
Yes, the route up to Haleakala is usually going up Hana Highway from Kahului, or else through Paia-Makawao if you are coming from Hana.

From Wailea / Kihei, get to Kahului,
Right on Dairy Road,
Right on Hana Highway,
Right on Haleakala Highway (37)
follow signs to Haleakala

From Hana, you could come all the way back to Kahului, but better to cut up the hill from Paia:
Hana on Hana Highway back to Paia,
Left on Baldwin Avenue,
scenic winding road up to Makawao,
at light left on Makawao Avenue (365)
at light left on Hana Highway (37)
follow signs to Haleakala

That said, if you are a bit more adventurous and want to come the back route from Hana,
instead of coming back on the road you came, continue on Hana Highway (330)
Hana Highway 330 become Piilani Highway 31, you are driving down around the bottom of Maui,
some one lane sections around a blind curve. Really spectacular scenery, just go slow, and if you are nervous about oncoming traffic, honk you way around the turn. Don't do it in the dark, and no cell phone signal over there so make sure you have a good tank of gas and everything is working fine.
At some point it will open up with cliff/ocean on your left, vast plain sweeping up the volcano on your right, really really beautiful. Keep going, road turns up/right.

Somewhere in there 31 turns to 37 Kula Highway

Now you climb up to finally nearly barren black lava, picturesque rollercoaster road you see in photos for sale in the galleries. Stop the car, get out, see how many other islands you can see. Don't forget to look south for the Big Island!
Stay on the road, barren lava with a few houses turns to lush Ulupalakua. The name is fun to say, and it means ulu (breadfruit) rotting on the road. Which translates into an area so abundant with food it can even go to waste. And there's the only winery on Maui up there. Stop and buy some wine, or go first to the nearby deli and buy sandwiches, then have lunch at the winery.

Back on the road, keep going, now you go through Kula, nice little parks along the way.

Start watching for signs to Haleakala.

Long drive if you go the back way, when you add going up the volcano too. By the time you get all the way back to Wailea or Kihei, you will likely be all done. Eat dinner, go to bed, and don't drive the next day, just hang at the beach.

But so worthwhile, take cameras, you MUST stop all along the way and look around. Just seeing it through the windshield is tough because you'll be concentrating on the road.

Take water & snacks and make it about the journey, not the time or the ultimate destination.

Binoculars are a must too.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:41 AM

18,474 posts, read 19,123,204 times
except the "back" way most all car rental companies tell you not to travel that way. if you get in an accident you will not be covered and will be in breech of contract

Old 01-08-2012, 12:51 AM

17 posts, read 32,205 times
lol - hint, never look at a mapquest map. if they were trying to send you to the top via Hana, there must be a gravel road that I don't know about Haleakala is very pretty and an experience so accesible to the average driver.
No, you don't need a 4 wheel drive vehicle anywhere on the island. In fact rental companies that rent them will discourage you from leaving the hard surface highways.
You have seen some very concise directions here. One thing skipped is that there is one "pottie" stop about half way up the mountain with water but no food anywhere in the park.
I enjoy taking pictures that I can share with new visitors to the islands.

Here is a little bit of what you will experience when reaching the top.

Haleakala Crater Maui Hawaii USA - YouTube Take a jacket with you

Old 01-08-2012, 02:17 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,543,072 times
booked a night in Hana... for what reason??

I went to Haleakala in the morning to see the sun rise as well as many!!!! others. The plan we got a bead and breakfast in Kula which is close (on the way) to going to Haleakala the place was actually really nice. made the drive in the morning much nicer.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:06 AM

13 posts, read 41,463 times
Default Awesome

Thanks for all the replies. I think we'll go the less adventurous route from Kahului.

FYI - I drove the Road to Hana when we went last time on our honeymoon (May 2008) and I thought that it was beautiful and not too difficult to drive since I just took it slow.

I then made the mistake of trying to drive the northern road. The road that goes around the northern part of the island from Kapalua back to Kahului. I got to the part where there is solid rock on your right and a sheer drop off on your left and got scared. Somehow I managed a 3 point turnaround in our rental car (a large Chrysler 300) and ended up heading back to Kapalua with my tail between my legs. That any worse than the back part of the Road to Hana?

As for the question on why the 1 night in Hana. It was mostly just to explore that area. I didn't have enough points with Marriott for a 6th night free anyways, so I would have had to pay for one there. So I figured instead I'd check out Hana a little bit more. We had such a short time over there last trip (spent it all at Waianapanapa Beach and the lava tubes) that I wanted to see it a little more this time.

We love Maui and we are counting down the days until the 20th. Can't believe I had the audacity to try and go to Florida last year instead. Did not compare at all.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:59 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,108,333 times
The black sand beach and fresh water caves at Hana are fun.

Since the drive to Hana takes as long as it does, and it's paved, I can't imagine how much time you would need to allow yourself to attempt driving all the way around. Honestly don't think it would be time well spent for a vacation. I have done the road around the smaller loop, and it was definitely a hair-raiser.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:28 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,108,333 times
Ah, almost forgot to mention. When you do go to Haleakala, bring water and a light jacket. Water to help you with the higher elevation, and a light jacket for the temperature change. My wife and I have gone up both in the day, and for the sunrise. Sunrise is pretty amazing, but rather chilly.

When you get up there, be sure to pace yourself and drink water. The elevation creeps up on you fast. My wife passed out the morning we went to see the sunrise. Scary stuff. The attendant gave her some water and said it happens a alot up there. People get there and neglect the elevation change and bam, they pass out.

The drive back down is spectacular!

Old 01-09-2012, 09:59 PM

17 posts, read 32,205 times
lol We actually prefer the small loop as you call it over the back road from Hana. The narrow road is about 10 miles instead of around a couple of curves on gravel but the people are really courteous. I always suggest to take the road from west to east. When doing so, it keeps the driver but more importantly the passenger on the mountain side instead of the ocean.
We always stop above the olviene pools for a picnic lunch, pics and sometimes to fly a kite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui