Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 01:41 PM

9 posts, read 31,898 times

Advertisements

Aloha Maui,

Our son will be entering 9th grade soon, and we are considering a few high schools on the island of Maui. Right now we are looking at King Kekaulike and Baldwin high schools. Does anyone have any insight as to which school might be better for overall academic performance? We are on the mainland right now, and plan to visit the schools soon. Right now, I'm just looking for some information from current parents or former students.
MAHALO!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 01:49 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
I'm pretty sure Kekaulike is a better school, based on location. Baldwin gets all the students from the bad parts of Maui. Think urban vs rural.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:22 AM

Mahalo, Winkosmosis! You always give good advice. I appreciate it!

Old 03-06-2012, 10:42 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I'm pretty sure Kekaulike is a better school, based on location. Baldwin gets all the students from the bad parts of Maui. Think urban vs rural.
Based on standardized test scores, Baldwin High is a better school than King Kekaulike High School.

Every year, Honolulu Magazine rates and ranks the public schools in Hawaiʻi. Here's a link to a PDF of their latest rankings of the high schools...
http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Hono...-11%20p107.pdf

Old 03-06-2012, 05:54 PM
DBM

92 posts, read 494,988 times
I understand the assumptions that Winkosmosis is making, but they are incorrect. Kekaulike is located Upcountry, so the assumption is that it draws from all the more well-to-do folks in Kula. The reality is that it draws much more from Pukalani and Makawao, which have an entirely different demographic. Baldwin draws from a mixed demographic as well, but overall probably has a more supportive population base. The test scores referred to by Jonah K are consistent with the schools' reputations.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:51 PM

I appreciate your response, DBM! I have been researching test scores and have come to the same conclusion that you have. Baldwin high school seems to come out on top. Weare still considering St Anthony School. However, a visit to each of the schools will solidify our choice.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Based on standardized test scores, Baldwin High is a better school than King Kekaulike High School.

Every year, Honolulu Magazine rates and ranks the public schools in Hawaiʻi. Here's a link to a PDF of their latest rankings of the high schools...
http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Hono...-11%20p107.pdf
Mahalo for the link. This is very helpful!

Old 03-06-2012, 10:09 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
King Kekaulike may not rank too high in the scoring, but they have a BEAUTIFUL campus. My company was a primary subcontractor on three of the phases. Constant complaint from security up there was that the campus was just too damned big.

Aloha from the heki'li isle, where it's a stormin

Old 05-19-2012, 06:59 PM

14 posts, read 28,361 times
Well I read the ranking of high schools as Maui High then Baldwin. I am getting such mixed information from different people. Baldwin was a great experience for a drama student friend, was a horrible experience for another, she was spat on leaving a sport field. My Dad said Maui High is scarier and has more drug issues. Any other input from others?
I hear the new, to be built for 2014, high school in Kihei is expected to be great which is the year my daughter will be going in to 9th grade.

Last edited by leftofSenter; 05-19-2012 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 05-20-2012, 07:18 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Very interesting about the test scores. I know some King K students from the rodeos. I would still rather send my kids, if I had any, to King K.

I'm guessing Kihei HS will have a really high proportion of transplants, so it should be better for transplanted kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui