Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 04:08 AM

16 posts, read 26,603 times

Advertisements

Planning our move this summer and got alot of different quotes. $8-12K- The Upack folks was the high end and the one that sounded abit too good was Guardian- cheapest $8K door to door but I found very bad reviews across the board. Really don't want to load/unload our furniture so anyone recently moved from east coast to hawaii can say what roughly it cost and rec moving company- gonna need a 20ft container for our move. I have used Van lines before and they were ok.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 10:21 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartpa View Post
Planning our move this summer and got alot of different quotes. $8-12K- The Upack folks was the high end and the one that sounded abit too good was Guardian- cheapest $8K door to door but I found very bad reviews across the board. Really don't want to load/unload our furniture so anyone recently moved from east coast to hawaii can say what roughly it cost and rec moving company- gonna need a 20ft container for our move. I have used Van lines before and they were ok.
Thanks
I used Royal Hawaiian from the West Coast to Oahu - it was $1.74/pound and would have been cheaper had I moved more stuff. They packed everything and I got my stuff in about 2 weeks.

They were an A+ on the west coast and a C here in Hawaii - nothing was damaged, but in Hawaii the movers we had were a pain in the neck.

They give a free quote and come to your house for the estimate based on how much stuff you have.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:30 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Good thing you checked the reviews on Guardian. I have heard nothing but horror stories about them.

This topic has been discussed on this forum, so do a little searching for input from those of us who have done the move. We moved from Denver to the Big Island and used Matson for a 20' container. They bring the container to your house and you load it yourself (not a good idea since the container sits 4' off the ground). We hired the local Mayflower Company to load the container since they are experienced in that kind of thing, and we did all of our own packing except we had Mayflower pack the wine glasses and framed art. Make sure you number all of your boxes and keep a list of what is in each box -- this makes unpacking SO much easier. We paid $7800 for moving the container from Denver to our house on the Big Island, then paid some local guys an hourly rate to unload the container for us.

It all went very smoothly. Matson is very easy to deal with and we had no problems. They put a lock on the container, or you can put your own on, so no worries about theft.

I've used Royal Hawaiian for a move across the BI, and they did a great job.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:19 PM

thanks for your comments/rec's- will give Matson a call. I am surprised how some of these scam/bad companies continue to operate when they are so poorly rated and reviewed online. Just noticed airfare SF to Maui way way up--$2200 RT in July-wow they trying to kill the travel recovery, may be a very expensive move now.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:26 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
thanks for your comments/rec's- will give Matson a call. I am surprised how some of these scam/bad companies continue to operate when they are so poorly rated and reviewed online.
If John Wayne Gacy was a babysitter today, and we know what we know, people will still hire him if he was ten cent cheaper than Mother Theresa. Most folks buy on price so these bad companies will continue taking the money of the dolts who think low prices means they scored a good deal......

Old 03-05-2012, 04:46 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
And as often as we try to put the word out there, we still get people saying "I wish I'd read the reviews before hiring XYZ". Shoot, it's really easy to check the BBB website, at a minimum.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:37 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Just noticed airfare SF to Maui way way up--$2200 RT in July-wow they trying to kill the travel recovery, may be a very expensive move now.
Not sure what you're looking at, but I just grabbed a random 2 week RT ticket in July on Alaska... SFO to HNL and back $820. Then HNL to Maui and back $250. Total $1,070. I'm sure you could do better with a little work.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:43 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Not sure what you're looking at, but I just grabbed a random 2 week RT ticket in July on Alaska... SFO to HNL and back $820. Then HNL to Maui and back $250. Total $1,070. I'm sure you could do better with a little work.
My first try - Jul 10-17, SFO to OGG on Alaska 1-stop, $827 round trip - that is typical summer high season pricing.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:17 PM

it must have been a systems fluke on kayak or something crazy as I am seeeing more normal prices again. It was wild and I was flipping out as I have to buy tickets for june/july. Sorry for the false warning.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,256 times
Thanks for the tip. Almost used Guardian with a quote of $7 p/cu.ft. I have been trying to reach them for the last week and can't get my questions answered. Think I will find someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui