Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,181 times

Advertisements

wonderful forum, I plan on moving to Maui next May 2014, I will graduate from college with an elementary degree. I will be moving with my 15 year old daughter and teaching 1-6th grade. I have plenty of time to keep researching, this forum has given some great insights. I hope more people who are living in Maui will still contribute. I plan on bringing my subaru over and a small amount of household stuff, it definitely seems better to buy furniture out there. I am from England, and have been living in Utah for 22 years. I look forward to more advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 09:45 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,561,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoshea View Post
wonderful forum, I plan on moving to Maui next May 2014, I will graduate from college with an elementary degree. I will be moving with my 15 year old daughter and teaching 1-6th grade. I have plenty of time to keep researching, this forum has given some great insights. I hope more people who are living in Maui will still contribute. I plan on bringing my subaru over and a small amount of household stuff, it definitely seems better to buy furniture out there. I am from England, and have been living in Utah for 22 years. I look forward to more advice.

Yes,there's a great deal of information on High Schools, areas of the island, shipping vehicles, Pods, mailing boxes, and everything you can think of.. on these Maui Forums.

We're making the move, flying in next week, with my dog. Already shipped my cars and Pods, mailed boxes,
had to find out about tint laws for vehicles, insurance registration requirements, school registration/health requirements, and on and on.

If you have any questions the current Maui forums don't cover, I'll share what I learned and what was so gratefully shared with me..there's a lot on info to look over and it looks like you have some time, so dig in!!

Old 05-13-2013, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Yes,there's a great deal of information on High Schools, areas of the island, shipping vehicles, Pods, mailing boxes, and everything you can think of.. on these Maui Forums.

We're making the move, flying in next week, with my dog. Already shipped my cars and Pods, mailed boxes,
had to find out about tint laws for vehicles, insurance registration requirements, school registration/health requirements, and on and on.

If you have any questions the current Maui forums don't cover, I'll share what I learned and what was so gratefully shared with me..there's a lot on info to look over and it looks like you have some time, so dig in!!
thank you, what was the price of the pods and what size did you get. What did you find out about the car registration. Did you buy a house or are you renting. look forward to hearing from you

Old 05-15-2013, 09:58 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,774,736 times
Price of a POD is highly variable so you need to call and get a quote. It depends a lot of where you live and the price of fuel at the time of the quote. And you can bargain with them - if you call for a quote and you tell them you are just checking things out, they will try to get you to "lock in" by offering a discount. You might be able to get them to knock $500 off the price. That being said, it cost us around $5000 from Seattle.

One other thing - don't get the insurance they offer. It is worthless. Does not cover any of the most likely events to happen - does not cover fire, theft, dropping the POD, damage to your stuff, or losing it. Or damage from sea water.

Last edited by TwoByFour; 05-15-2013 at 10:51 AM..

Old 05-23-2013, 07:44 PM

Gas is approximately $4.60 a gallon...however...Costco has it's own fuel pumps on the Costco site and the price was $4.15...you need to scan a Costco card and then a debit card to activate the pump...

Old 05-23-2013, 07:51 PM

I shipped our cars Pasha, their ships are small enough to sail directly into Kahului Harbor.
Horizon and Matson go to Honolulu, Oahu then unload the cars then reload onto the local Young Brothers Barge, then go to Maui.

I heard they are fine, I just chose Pasha to avoid the extra steps of loading and unloading...

Pasha gave us 7 free days storage on both sending and receiving end, then it's was $25 a day, or portion thereof..

Old 05-25-2013, 06:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,403 times
Me and my wife are looking to move to maui in november.Does anyone have any suggestions which town would be good for us.We are in our mid 50's with two large dogs.We would like to rent a one or two bedroom home.Id like to keep the rent under 1800./month.We are beach lovers and would like to be near shopping.Any suggestions?

Old 05-25-2013, 12:18 PM

I would look at Kihei/Wailea. Mild climate, it has wonderful swimming beaches and I see many people walking with their dogs every morning. There's a beautiful dog park in Wailea with green grass and a doggie water fountain, and poop bags that is leash free. There is a leash law but I see many dogs on the beach without them..you do have to byob (poop bags) at the beach parks.

There are 3 grocery stores, and if you want to hit town for the malls, Costco and Walmart, Kahului is a 20 minute drive.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:58 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,279,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngbb19 View Post
Our Story:

We have decided to move to Maui August 2012! Both my husband and I have been to Oahu numerous times while we were in the Navy. I have traveled to Hawai'i myself. Maui looks about the size and pace we are looking for.
What ever happened here? It's been a long time since August 2012. It looks like Ngbb19 only posted 5 times and vanished! Is this just another poster that it interested in moving to Hawaii, then suddenly is gone, never to be heard from again?

Old 05-30-2013, 11:19 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,928,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
What ever happened here? It's been a long time since August 2012. It looks like Ngbb19 only posted 5 times and vanished! Is this just another poster that it interested in moving to Hawaii, then suddenly is gone, never to be heard from again?
That is more common than not - I'm not sure about Ngbb19's situation but most of the moving to Hawaii threads are fake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui