Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 05:31 PM

14 posts, read 51,589 times

Advertisements

Yes... I am one of those who just wants so badly to live on Maui. -- I used to live in the summers in a small, remote town called, Kapoho on the Big Island when I was younger with my grandparents. Ever since, I visit the islands and absolutely love Maui due to the endless research possibilities on its' humpbacks.

To be very brief... my mother did not allow me to major in sciences during college (she paid half and I was naive and lacked independence to be able to do what I wanted). She forced me into majoring in Business. I went to college for 6 years and never graduated.. I spent my study-time researching marine mammals and completely lacked motivation in business and accounting. Today, I work in Finance at the biggest film and TV production studio, globally. I had an epiphany when I got married last month on Maui... I realized I'm masking living my dream by doing something I hate at a very prestigious company.. and yea, you can say my mom is happy about my job . I'm miserable waking up every morning living out my moms life she wants for me. I just turned 33, just got married and I'm ready to make the appropriate steps to stand up to my family and let them know, marine biology is my dream, not accounting. The only books I read are marine biology books, the only tv shows I watch are marine biology based, the only vacations I take revolve around observing ocean life. I can financially afford to purchase a condo, and I am reading here that there are a lot of expenses involved, which I am researching and preparing myself for. I have two sets of questions:

1. This is for homeowners--> If I purchase a $200k condo (for ex. Channel House Condo in Lahaina).. how much, roughly do you walk away spending in costs each month? I hear the HOA and insurance fees are pretty costly

2. How competitive is the marine biology scene? I dont have my degree, but will definitely look into college on Maui to finish my degree. Is it hard to find a biology mentor, a biology job? (even as a purser?). I hear and read that there is so much more that needs to be learned of humpbacks.. is it easy to find those opportunities.. and do they pay at all?

I honestly feel this is in my heart to do, but I dont want to make the wrong decision. I have wanted to live in Hawaii since the days I would spend my summers on the Big Island... I feel more at home on the islands that I do on the mainland... my fears are making things work financially and that all depends on if my dreams of science will work in harmony.

Be brutally honest with your advise and suggestions.. I need it!
Mahalo nui loa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 08:11 PM

150 posts, read 415,671 times
Just saw this listed in the continuing education brochure for UofH Maui College
EdVenture-Continuing Education & Training, Maui College
and this on Indeed
Purser Job In HI - Hawaii, Other Career, Full Time Jobs With Pacific Whale Foundation

Remember nothing in Maui pays what your making at the big Muckey-Muck Entertainment Studio. But if you don't have kids yet and you're doing what you love you at least give it a try, with contingencies (savings) to go back, or try somewhere else if it doesn't work out.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:04 PM

14 posts, read 51,589 times
Thank you so much for that info.. its exactly the info I was looking for.. more in depth and detailed to what I am specifically seeking When I got married last month I actually reserved a private charter through PWF for my rehearsal dinner and made wonderful contacts thru them. And yes... children are not in my future.. i biologically am not able to bear my own and I have become okay with that.. if anything, I choose to adopt a child in need if I come to a place in my life where I am ready for that. I would not move to Maui unless I have a significant amount of $ saved up... in fear that if things get tough, we have something to hold us over. I just fear, funds may run out fast if I cant cover costs with what I choose for work. I currently have a lot saved up and I invest it into CD's to gain the interest; I am taking every precaution I can to make sure I have everything under control if I move and just want to keep an extra level of security. Part of my epiphany was that I would rather be making less money, happy, then to make more, unhappy. My husband is a sound engineer/mixer and does 60% of his work from home. That adds a little bit of security as he can work from home in Maui and still keep his clientele in LA thru technology. I am hoping that he can gain more clients while on Maui and even some on Oahu where there is more of an entertainment based scene. We just worry about keeping a fluid stream of income with a mortgage.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:18 AM

941 posts, read 1,967,193 times
I totally understand the marine biology dream, I sometimes think I should've been a biologist or something that lets me travel around the Pacific and do fascinating work.

BUT the reality for most people is very different. You need degrees to get serious jobs, and even serious jobs don't pay, they're always seeking grants and such. There is a definite split between academic research in true marine sciences and what is commonly called conservation (land and sea-based work in biology and management thereof). I have a friend with a bachelor's degree in marine biology, he came to Hawaii working as an observer on fishing boats (to make sure they don't exceed their quota--2 months at sea, 1 month on land). He's now in land-based sea-bird conservation, and it's tough for him. He couldn't make ends meet if his wife wasn't a lawyer. He sees others in his field going back for masters degrees in order to move up, mostly into management of conservation programs.

BTW, that isn't a marine biology job, it's a tour boat job. Great way to get your foot in the door, and I see a lot of 20-something newcomer guys take tour boat jobs before moving on (my neighbor for example, now a school teacher). If working outdoors and close to nature is important to you, even if not doing true biology, then it certainly is an option. I just think there are no long-term prospects, except for management and ownership, neither of which are much connected to nature anymore.

It could be you are meant to follow this new career in marine biology, or you could be like me, have a degree and job that lets you survive in Hawaii, and explore your interest in your free time. Business and accounting experience at a big company could probably be parlayed into a good job in Hawaii. You could then make connections and explore the marine biology as a hobby, by volunteering your entheusiasm in conservation and amateur research. For example, I know that organizations such as Save Our Seas do reef cataloguing efforts on Kaua'i where they study and count species on designated plots of reef every year.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:43 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
I have a coworker who volunteers with a whale research organization. I forget what it's called. NOT Pacific Whale Foundation, which isn't allowed to do research. They actually harass whales, and their boats have hit whales several times. They're a tourist outfit that pretends to research.

I know someone else who started out volunteering and now works at the aquarium. She also works on a whale watching boat. Her degree is in something unrelated. Of course if you want a real job you need a degree, but it's not like there's a lot of those jobs.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:47 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking_maui View Post
. How competitive is the marine biology scene?
It is competitive because there are good biology and marine biology majors offered through the UH system, and so well educated grads are vying for those jobs (along with seasoned workers).

Old 03-21-2013, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 6,292 times
Default job opportunity

Hey! I'm currently a marine biology student at UNC in north carolina, an extremely praised marine biology program. Im a senior with strong intentions of moving to Maui to pursue a career in marine biology. I will have my degree then. Where do you work?? where can i get a job!

- Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
I totally understand the marine biology dream, I sometimes think I should've been a biologist or something that lets me travel around the Pacific and do fascinating work.

BUT the reality for most people is very different. You need degrees to get serious jobs, and even serious jobs don't pay, they're always seeking grants and such. There is a definite split between academic research in true marine sciences and what is commonly called conservation (land and sea-based work in biology and management thereof). I have a friend with a bachelor's degree in marine biology, he came to Hawaii working as an observer on fishing boats (to make sure they don't exceed their quota--2 months at sea, 1 month on land). He's now in land-based sea-bird conservation, and it's tough for him. He couldn't make ends meet if his wife wasn't a lawyer. He sees others in his field going back for masters degrees in order to move up, mostly into management of conservation programs.

BTW, that isn't a marine biology job, it's a tour boat job. Great way to get your foot in the door, and I see a lot of 20-something newcomer guys take tour boat jobs before moving on (my neighbor for example, now a school teacher). If working outdoors and close to nature is important to you, even if not doing true biology, then it certainly is an option. I just think there are no long-term prospects, except for management and ownership, neither of which are much connected to nature anymore.

It could be you are meant to follow this new career in marine biology, or you could be like me, have a degree and job that lets you survive in Hawaii, and explore your interest in your free time. Business and accounting experience at a big company could probably be parlayed into a good job in Hawaii. You could then make connections and explore the marine biology as a hobby, by volunteering your entheusiasm in conservation and amateur research. For example, I know that organizations such as Save Our Seas do reef cataloguing efforts on Kaua'i where they study and count species on designated plots of reef every year.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:30 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
I don't know specifically where you should look but in general your best bets are probably going to be a state or US government related job - educational institution, NOAA, Fisheries, etc. I imagine there is lots of competition for those jobs. You might do better to build up your resume by working some place else with a strong fisheries industry, like Seattle, then using that as a springboard to Hawaii.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:49 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Maybe you could get a job here.

Maui Ocean Center | The Hawaiian Aquarium | Maui Family Activity | (808) 270-7000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: