Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 03:43 PM

4 posts, read 6,070 times

Advertisements

Hello CStoner!

If you wish to stay in the travel/tourism industry, there are sevaral pages worth of vacancy announcements for rental car agency sales rep. positions with at the Kahului Airport. They look pretty good and offer benefits along with an uncapped commission. I don´t know much about the industry, but the tourism season is around the corner and I am sure they are wrapping up on hiring for the season in the next month or so.
Link to jobs in Kahului (inc. airport) : http://jobsearch.monster.com/browse/..._12?pg=1&sf=17

As far as moving, I have been researching this extensively for the past month. I am moving to Maui on the 17th of May to start work at the Kahului Airport with the Department of Homeland Security as a TSA Officer. I have a 2007 Toyota Corolla Sport that I am shipping over. I would also recommend that you take your car with you out there. I looked up all of the shipping providers, and Horizon (shipmyvehicle.com) had the best customer service and also had more consistently positive reviews as far as vehicle condition post-shipping. I ship my car out on Wednesday and they told me it will arrive in Kahului the 14th or 15th.

I too am fairly young (23m) and it has been a blessing for me because at this point of my life I don´t have much in the way of possessions, so I can plan my move to Maui without having to worry about taking/leaving a lot of stuff.

I have chosen Kihei for my place of residence, and I found really great prices out there. For $1200 (plus util.) I am getting a beachfront condo in a nice complex that is fully furnished and is in a very nice area. I currently pay $1400 a month here in Los Angeles (W.Hollywood) for a decent apartment in a decent area with a spectacular view of my building´s dumpster. I think it is a pretty good upgrade.

Kihei is a popular area for tourists as well and you could potentially find a lot of work in the tourism industry there. If you got a job at the airport in one of the car rental agencies, commuting to Kahului should be about 10-15 minutes which isn´t very bad. I have a relative who advised me not to live in or around Kahului as it is the urban/ghetto of Maui. Kihei is much nicer and fairly close by.

As far as where to find accomodations, I used mauinews.com for the classified section (jobs) and also for apartment and condo rentals. There is also shoretoshorerealty.net and palikairealtors.com which were great sources for rental listings.

I was in Maui this past December and absolutely LOVED it. I know you will too. I will keep an eye out for listings on craigslist if I see any (esp. pet-allowed ones, they are harder to find). Keep in mind that there is a pretty strict quarantine procedure for pets who are brought to Hawaii. I have heard it is not at all pleasant and can be quite rough on the animals.

R
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 04:20 PM

674 posts, read 1,461,783 times
If you're on the West coast of Maui, Lahaina is really the only place to be. Napili and some of the more western/northern towns are really nice, but Lahaina has the perfect mix of jobs, energy, action, and lifestyle. At least in my opinion. It has a pretty good crowd of people who moved to the island that if you can meet up with, you can find good deals on living and jobs too.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:43 PM

42 posts, read 88,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSO-HI View Post
Hello CStoner!

If you wish to stay in the travel/tourism industry, there are sevaral pages worth of vacancy announcements for rental car agency sales rep. positions with at the Kahului Airport. They look pretty good and offer benefits along with an uncapped commission. I don´t know much about the industry, but the tourism season is around the corner and I am sure they are wrapping up on hiring for the season in the next month or so.
Link to jobs in Kahului (inc. airport) : Jobs in Kahului, Hawaii

As far as moving, I have been researching this extensively for the past month. I am moving to Maui on the 17th of May to start work at the Kahului Airport with the Department of Homeland Security as a TSA Officer. I have a 2007 Toyota Corolla Sport that I am shipping over. I would also recommend that you take your car with you out there. I looked up all of the shipping providers, and Horizon (shipmyvehicle.com) had the best customer service and also had more consistently positive reviews as far as vehicle condition post-shipping. I ship my car out on Wednesday and they told me it will arrive in Kahului the 14th or 15th.

I too am fairly young (23m) and it has been a blessing for me because at this point of my life I don´t have much in the way of possessions, so I can plan my move to Maui without having to worry about taking/leaving a lot of stuff.

I have chosen Kihei for my place of residence, and I found really great prices out there. For $1200 (plus util.) I am getting a beachfront condo in a nice complex that is fully furnished and is in a very nice area. I currently pay $1400 a month here in Los Angeles (W.Hollywood) for a decent apartment in a decent area with a spectacular view of my building´s dumpster. I think it is a pretty good upgrade.

Kihei is a popular area for tourists as well and you could potentially find a lot of work in the tourism industry there. If you got a job at the airport in one of the car rental agencies, commuting to Kahului should be about 10-15 minutes which isn´t very bad. I have a relative who advised me not to live in or around Kahului as it is the urban/ghetto of Maui. Kihei is much nicer and fairly close by.

As far as where to find accomodations, I used mauinews.com for the classified section (jobs) and also for apartment and condo rentals. There is also shoretoshorerealty.net and palikairealtors.com which were great sources for rental listings.

I was in Maui this past December and absolutely LOVED it. I know you will too. I will keep an eye out for listings on craigslist if I see any (esp. pet-allowed ones, they are harder to find). Keep in mind that there is a pretty strict quarantine procedure for pets who are brought to Hawaii. I have heard it is not at all pleasant and can be quite rough on the animals.

R

Oh my gosh this was so incredibly helpful, THANK YOU!!!

So what did you do for work prior to TSA? And...the super personal question that is inappropriate to ask, is your income allowing you to be comfortable with the rent your paying? Or are you using up savings for awhile? I am from a suburb outside of Seattle so I am used to dirt cheap rent with roommates. I would love to do get a studio so that I don't have to deal with anybody's annoying habits and I don't have to worry about getting two tv's. (Yes, that's a concern for me. I enjoy laying in bed and watching tv but I also enjoy playing ridiculous amounts of dance central in my living room)

And I have recently learned about the crazy process of getting my dog into Hawaii. It breaks my heart but I might have to give her to a new home. She was rescued and spent so much time in a shelter I would NEVER have her quarantined and wouldn't want to risk something happening when I bring her in. I mean she's the perfect dog so I know I could find an amaaaazing home for her here but I still feel guilty

I am going to look into the car rental thing, that's a great suggestion. Did you fly out for any of your interviews?

Thanks again, your awesome!

Old 04-30-2012, 05:00 PM

I currently work for the Spanish government at the Consulate of Spain in Los Angeles as a Visa Adjudications Officer. I have been here for the year as part of an internship for my international affairs major. TSA is my first permanent gig with the Fed's, I did two internships with the Department of State at a couple of U.S. embassies (Europe and South America) as well as an internship with the Department of Defense out in D.C. I am getting my foot in the door with the TSA and getting my retirement clock and benefits started while I start applying for the jobs I ultimately want.
As far as my income, it will take some smart living to make it comfortably, but it shouldn't be anything that I can't handle. I make it in LA pretty comfortably on 29k at the moment, and starting pay with TSA on Maui is 34k without overtime/night differential (10% bonus)/and Sunday differential (25% bonus) included. On average, 36-37k for your first year if you work night and Sunday shifts. Maui should be doable for a 23 y/o guy on Maui to live comfortably if he already lives frugally. I also have about 5k saved from my income taxes and savings from this past year to supplement me as I start off in Maui.

I interviewed at a small airport out here, then passed a credit check and background investigation before being placed in a "ready pool". It is essentially a group of applicants who have passed the interview and pre-employment tests necessary to be eligible for hire. You then apply to any airport in the country that is hiring and they will be able to extend you an offer if they wish to hire you. I didn't need to travel to Hawaii at all for this position. PM me if you want any further information regarding the TSA hiring process. It took me a little over 4 months to go through all of the hiring process.

It would break my heart to give up my dog, but I know you are doing the right thing. Quarantine would be very hard and traumatic on your dog, especially considering her past history with the shelter. I am sure she would want you to pursue your goals though, and understands about you two having to part. That is what makes dogs so incredibly awesome. My g. retriever is staying in California with my family, so it will be sad to say goodbye to him too.

Last edited by TSO-HI; 04-30-2012 at 05:13 PM..

Old 04-30-2012, 05:19 PM

Okay I like your style. I was thinking about getting a part time restaurant job mostly for the cheap/free meals and of course extra income. I really just need to figure out this employment thing and go for it. I got an e-mail from expedia this morning, I hope I gave them what they wanted to hear!!!

Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 PM

Gl!

Old 04-30-2012, 05:36 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,059,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSO-HI View Post
Keep in mind that there is a pretty strict quarantine procedure for pets who are brought to Hawaii. I have heard it is not at all pleasant and can be quite rough on the animals.

R
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstoner View Post
And I have recently learned about the crazy process of getting my dog into Hawaii. It breaks my heart but I might have to give her to a new home. She was rescued and spent so much time in a shelter I would NEVER have her quarantined and wouldn't want to risk something happening when I bring her in. I mean she's the perfect dog so I know I could find an amaaaazing home for her here but I still feel guilty
Wait! Your dog doesn't have to be quarantined! You don't have to give your best friend up! There is a process called "direct release" and it takes a few months of keeping the dog on the mainland, and it looks daunting, but it's worth it to not have to give up your best friend. Your vet is probably very familiar with the procedure (mine was) and you can call and talk to the vet in Maui who is contracted to accept the dog and sign off on direct release. It really isn't hard, promise!

Animal Quarantine Information

Checklist for 5-day-or-less program

If you need to come sooner than the waiting period has expired, you could have mainland friends keep your dog until the time is up and then send her/him to you.

I have heard from friends who actually do live in Hawai'i that quarantine really actually isn't all that hard on the pets. I'm doing the direct release mainly because one of my dogs is handicapped and it would be very tough on her. Also, my other dog is her "service dog" and Hawai'i doesn't let you put your animals together, they must be separated. The little one totally depends on her "brother" and would be lost; he has such a sense of responsibility for her and would be very worried about her.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:12 PM

Thanks, DebbyDiver!

I spent some time digging through the forum and found this thread that contains first-hand accounts of owners who transported their pets through the direct-release program, and it seems to be a pretty smooth process. However, it appears that there could be some variability in your overall satisfaction that is contingent upon your airline of choice. Definitely worth looking into if bringing your pooch is a definite yes for you. It sounds much better than the 120 day quarantine I used to hear and read about from people who had gone through that process.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...xperience.html

Sorry my links are not active, I am still too new!

Last edited by TSO-HI; 04-30-2012 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 04-30-2012, 06:56 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,059,643 times
I forgot to mention that the HI quarantine staff are VERY friendly, helpful and patient. I am very grateful that the state has direct release now. I just don't know what I'd do with the handicapped dog without direct release.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:59 PM

Wow that's wonderful! I will definitely talk to my vet about, miss Miley is going in this week anyways so it's perfect. You guys are awesome, thank you for all of your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui