Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 01:47 AM

18 posts, read 64,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchTempo View Post
@ST Landlord Tenant code link for Hawaii: HAWAII'S LANDLORD-TENANT CODE — Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs
Pretty much what OpenD said.

@Veteran There's a few bartender job requests on Craigslist right now for Kihei, West Maui, and even upcountry. However I don't know for how long those positions are for since its currently the busy season, and its the busiest that Maui's been visitorwise in quite a while. But yea, don't send a deposit ahead of time without seeing the property first in person. If you've got your family friends on island have them check the places out for you. There's a few rental scams using real estate listing photos around on craigslist or hotpads so just be careful when searching. The black/white 'MRAM' (Maui realtors association) watermark on the photo is big be weary warning.
Ty for your advice it was awesome, I've been bar tending for a while but when I decided I wanted to move to Maui I took a mixologist class with a national job placement program, I also chose the end of May since its right before the summer season. Also made the trip twice from the mainland just to vacation and meet people in the area. Looked around at rent, prices are right around Seattle prices, sometimes lower sometimes higher. I plan on renting a VRBO for a month if not longer and trying to find a room to rent (with roughly 11,000 other vets on the island that shouldn't be hard to find) and saving up all the money I can while I find a place. Ty again for you advice and anymore you may think of

Aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 10:59 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,793,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranMovingToMaui View Post
Obviously you don't know what a Vet has been instilled into them : Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless service, Honor, Integrity, And Personal courage... What your being is judgemental and rude. My suggestions were based on what I've seen friends renting houses have happen to them... e.g. Rent due on 1st, late fee on 2nd. What people in Hawai'i need to realize is your not the only place that has high prices Seattle is close behind from my personal experience, and mor expensive in many ways. Also to the gentleman who brought up locals being hired, thats fine and dandy but federal law gives me preferential higher, I'm not looking for a life of vacation I'm looking for something different. So before talking down to people or trying to tell them that things arent what they think, remember that some people do research before jumping head first.
Veteran's preference only applies to Federal jobs, and some jobs with Federal contractors..

Old 01-08-2013, 12:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,990,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Veteran's preference only applies to Federal jobs, and some jobs with Federal contractors..
The State of Hawaii government jobs give veterans preference - but that doesn't do much in Maui since most of those jobs are on Oahu. There aren't a lot of federal jobs on Maui either except for things like TSA. Federal jobs pay much better than State of Hawaii jobs - which quite frankly pays barely a living wage.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:06 PM

Yes preferential hire is for federal jobs (didn't think that needed to be pointed out) I guess my point should have been that there are plenty of resources for me to get a job as well as plenty insentives to entice a prospective employer. I have been a: Painter, Landscaper, Grocerie Bagger, Bar tender, Delivery Driver, Car lot Attendant, a mechanic, Gas Station Clerk, and a Soldier (obviously) so I'm sure I'll find something.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:17 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,821,238 times
Quote:
I have been a: Painter, Landscaper, Grocerie Bagger, Bar tender, Delivery Driver, Car lot Attendant, a mechanic, Gas Station Clerk, and a Soldier (obviously) so I'm sure I'll find something.
I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate, a poet, a pawn and a king.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate, a poet, a pawn and a king.
It seems your also a really bad comic too.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:08 PM

941 posts, read 1,972,515 times
Quote:
It seems your also a really bad comic too.
I think you mean a crooner. Personally, I'm a picker, I'm a grinner, I'm a lover, and I'm a sinner, but that's where the resemblance ends.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
I think you mean a crooner. Personally, I'm a picker, I'm a grinner, I'm a lover, and I'm a sinner, but that's where the resemblance ends.
Your not a smoker or a midnight toker?

Old 01-12-2013, 02:54 PM

337 posts, read 615,048 times
Quote:
Your not a smoker or a midnight toker?
Sounds like Joker to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui