Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 03:57 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,821,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
They said they're policy would stay in place until renewel time, but when we went to get the safety inspection, we had to get insurance through a company that issues policies in HI.
Don't you hate that, when a company representative tells you something that they really know nothing about? And even reading online about the Hawaii car registration process, little-to-nothing is said about the specifics on auto insurance requirements (ie a Hawaii no-fault policy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 10:00 AM

569 posts, read 782,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Don't you hate that, when a company representative tells you something that they really know nothing about? And even reading online about the Hawaii car registration process, little-to-nothing is said about the specifics on auto insurance requirements (ie a Hawaii no-fault policy).
Yeah, but in fairness, I think the CA insurance might have been able to stay in place if I'd kept the CA license and registration for the allowable 1 year. It just wasn't clear when they told me that. We decided not to wait and just registered the car in HI since we didn't know whether we'd be on-island when the year was up and didn't want to have to worry about it.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,990,438 times
Quote:
Yeah, but in fairness, I think the CA insurance might have been able to stay in place if I'd kept the CA license and registration for the allowable 1 year. It just wasn't clear when they told me that. We decided not to wait and just registered the car in HI since we didn't know whether we'd be on-island when the year was up and didn't want to have to worry about it.
Even if you kept the CA registration - you'd still need a safety check and the first thing they ask you for is your insurance card which must show the insurance is issued in Hawaii.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:36 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,521,103 times
Quote:
Maybe I missed it, but the one other thing I'd call out is insurance. Our existing insurance company who only insures cars in California gave us some information that was only partially correct. They said they're policy would stay in place until renewel time, but when we went to get the safety inspection, we had to get insurance through a company that issues policies in HI. Not too big a deal since we already had an agent for our homeowner's insurance who set it up, but it would have been nice to know this is advance.
This is a common complaint, and I suppose the information should go on a sticky here...

All cars to be registered in Hawai'i must have insurance and an ID card issued by a Hawai'i company. Mainland insurance policies and ID cards do not qualify.

What this means is that no matter what company issued your mainland car insurance policy, you will need a new policy from a different company in Hawai'i. Many mainland companies get confused about this. For example, if you have a policy with Geico on the mainland, they will probably say "yeah, you're covered in Hawai'i," but in fact you will need a new policy, at a different rate, from the Hawai'i company that is an affiliate of Geico. Sure, the Geico rep on the phone can arrange it for you, but that isn't what you might expect from what they tell you, and you'll save a wasted trip to the safety inspection station if you get the new policy and new ID card first.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:29 PM

78 posts, read 119,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
This is a common complaint, and I suppose the information should go on a sticky here...

All cars to be registered in Hawai'i must have insurance and an ID card issued by a Hawai'i company. Mainland insurance policies and ID cards do not qualify.

What this means is that no matter what company issued your mainland car insurance policy, you will need a new policy from a different company in Hawai'i. Many mainland companies get confused about this. For example, if you have a policy with Geico on the mainland, they will probably say "yeah, you're covered in Hawai'i," but in fact you will need a new policy, at a different rate, from the Hawai'i company that is an affiliate of Geico. Sure, the Geico rep on the phone can arrange it for you, but that isn't what you might expect from what they tell you, and you'll save a wasted trip to the safety inspection station if you get the new policy and new ID card first.
What? What sort of protectionist tripe...I just looked it up and to change over registration/title/etc. it says you need an original copy of insurance card. I have USAA and they've never sent me any insurance card in the mail before (it is all online. I print my own copy off as proof). Does anyone here have experience with this. I'm also pretty sure USAA covers Hawaii, so I should be fine keeping the same company right?

Old 02-13-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegandi View Post
What? What sort of protectionist tripe...I just looked it up and to change over registration/title/etc. it says you need an original copy of insurance card. I have USAA and they've never sent me any insurance card in the mail before (it is all online. I print my own copy off as proof). Does anyone here have experience with this. I'm also pretty sure USAA covers Hawaii, so I should be fine keeping the same company right?
You can't print your own card. It has to have special labeling on the actual card to show it is a Hawaii policy.

I used to have USAA but dropped it a little after I got to Hawaii - their rates were higher than just about anyone else. When you get to Hawaii you'll call them and they will make the policy changes - and send you a card in the mail.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:38 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,837,802 times
Quote:
Welcome to Hawaii. It is true, you need to let USAA know you're moving to Hawaii and that they will need to mail you a hardcopy original card. I also printed a copy off the computer as backup. This will also be the case when or if you need to take your car for repairs requiring insurance payment. I ran into this issue with my Infiniti.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You can't print your own card. It has to have special labeling on the actual card to show it is a Hawaii policy.

I used to have USAA but dropped it a little after I got to Hawaii - their rates were higher than just about anyone else. When you get to Hawaii you'll call them and they will make the policy changes - and send you a card in the mail.
Thanks for the heads up. Any particular companies you found that are friendly and responsive, but also not too expensive. I pay 150$ a month here in Florida for a 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT with no accident or moving violation history and am 26 years old. I still can't believe how expensive Florida insurance is. Surely, Hawaii cannot be as bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
Welcome to Hawaii. It is true, you need to let USAA know you're moving to Hawaii and that they will need to mail you a hardcopy original card. I also printed a copy off the computer as backup. This will also be the case when or if you need to take your car for repairs requiring insurance payment. I ran into this issue with my Infiniti.
Intriguing. Sounds like the Stamp Act type of stuff with the insurance card 'stamp of Approval by Government'. Lol. In any event, sounds like a good plan to have a back up printed off too. How did you find USAA compared to other companies rates in the area?

Old 02-13-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. Any particular companies you found that are friendly and responsive, but also not too expensive. I pay 150$ a month here in Florida for a 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT with no accident or moving violation history and am 26 years old. I still can't believe how expensive Florida insurance is. Surely, Hawaii cannot be as bad!
For me, Allstate gave me a great price - hundreds of dollars less than USAA - I think USAA uses a 3rd party in Hawaii which potentially makes it expensive.

I don't know what you will pay in Hawaii - but if you want to live in or around Waikiki you'll be paying some of the highest rates on the island.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
For me, Allstate gave me a great price - hundreds of dollars less than USAA - I think USAA uses a 3rd party in Hawaii which potentially makes it expensive.

I don't know what you will pay in Hawaii - but if you want to live in or around Waikiki you'll be paying some of the highest rates on the island.
I'd rather be out around Kaimuki and KCC than Waikiki if I can help it. Does the rates really change that dramatically in such a short distance? I can't imagine that one such a small island as Oahu that rates would differ at all, since it is such a short drive to anywhere on the island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui