Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 5,749 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I currently live in Austin Texas, and I will have my Colorado nursing license at the end of February. My boyfriend and I are looking to move to Maui sometime in late May or early June. I will still be a relatively new nurse with no, if any very little, experience and was wondering what the job market would be like as far as me not being a native to the island and a new nurse at that. I don't mind commuting or where I work as long as I can find a job before or when I get there. What are my best options? I also have a pit bull mix that I am planning on bringing and am curious about the quarantine procedures to take him along. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 04:02 PM

80 posts, read 194,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan06 View Post
Hi.

I currently live in Austin Texas, and I will have my Colorado nursing license at the end of February. My boyfriend and I are looking to move to Maui sometime in late May or early June. I will still be a relatively new nurse with no, if any very little, experience and was wondering what the job market would be like as far as me not being a native to the island and a new nurse at that. I don't mind commuting or where I work as long as I can find a job before or when I get there. What are my best options? I also have a pit bull mix that I am planning on bringing and am curious about the quarantine procedures to take him along. Thanks everyone!
You are making one huge gamble coming here as a new grad. I am a new grad nurse and I know if I do get a job, I will have to be working as an aide or tech for a period of time to prove myself.

There are alot of people leaving the island to get jobs on the mainland for a few years. On top of that your license may take months to be active here, I know someone that came here from Cali that took him 6 months. He is a Public health nurse on Molokai now. I would apply for it now.

I have reasons of why I came here, even with a chance of not getting a job. However, I am a guy and what some of the nurses have told me is that they need more guys in the ER. Now that doesn't mean I am guaranteed a job as a tech.

You will not be able to find a job as a nurse or a tech before you come here.
Finding a dog friendly place to live will be much harder.

People say I look local due to my skin color and I am still scared in regards to a job.

Your big disadvantages are:
New nurse
Dog
lack of license
not local.

Have you ever been here???

Old 02-07-2014, 05:09 PM

521 posts, read 733,331 times
Start the 120 day quarentine for your dog ASAP so you won't have to actually quarentine him on Maui. There is a lot of paperwork so read carefully. Also, Alaskan Airlines is best for flying pets since only $100 regardless of the size.
I moved to Kauai as a new RN with very little experience. About 6 months before moving I applied for Hawaii license and started calling the home health agencies on island to network. That paid off and I had a job shortly after arriving. You probably need more time to plan this. But I suggest calling HR people on island and see what they say. Make sure you have your HI license as well.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgali View Post
Start the 120 day quarentine for your dog ASAP so you won't have to actually quarentine him on Maui. There is a lot of paperwork so read carefully. Also, Alaskan Airlines is best for flying pets since only $100 regardless of the size.
I moved to Kauai as a new RN with very little experience. About 6 months before moving I applied for Hawaii license and started calling the home health agencies on island to network. That paid off and I had a job shortly after arriving. You probably need more time to plan this. But I suggest calling HR people on island and see what they say. Make sure you have your HI license as well.
I think you can avoid the quarantine if you follow a certain procedure(as I have been told). shots etc. I do not know where to find it, but people have told me this

Old 02-07-2014, 07:03 PM

521 posts, read 733,331 times
Yes you must do all the rabies bloodwork on the mainland which takes 120 days to avoid quarentine in Hawaii. We brought 3 German shepherds over and did all the necessary things so they were directly released to us at airport.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:40 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rido View Post
I think you can avoid the quarantine if you follow a certain procedure(as I have been told). shots etc. I do not know where to find it, but people have told me this
Why, you can find it right here! Use the Search function to pull up previous discussions of all these topics. The archives here are a gold mine.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:48 PM

431 posts, read 939,815 times
Bringing your dog to Hawaii info:

http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/files/2013/01/aqsbrochure.pdf

Old 02-08-2014, 12:23 AM

431 posts, read 939,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan06 View Post
Hi.

Considering the very good likelihood that you will face either no or insufficient (few hours, no healthcare) employment as a new grad here, does your boyfriend have good employable (talking Maui-employable) skills that can sustain you both?
Rido hit the nail on the head with his summary of the issues you'd be facing here.
If you really want to get a decent nursing job here (FT hospital---which means top pay, benefits, etc) you need to come here with a lot more to offer than little or no experience. There is absolutely no nursing shortage here. In fact, there is a huge glut of experienced nurses and a massive glut of new grads. The nursing programs in the Islands put out hundreds of new grads every year, the majority of them home grown. They will all have an edge over you and there are many many new grads who have been waiting (some for years) for nursing jobs. This is no joke---I see them every day. They are local, they are working non-nursing jobs in hospitals (that famous "foot in the door" tactic), and they are waiting for their very first RN job.
Ugh....I feel like a broken record and it is just so sad.
Sorry, but I just can't do the sugar-coat thing.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:36 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,152 times
Exclamation tough one...

Hi, my only suggestion is that you steer clear of Maui Memorial Medical Center. It is horribly managed. Depts are poorly staffed and employees have an attitude of entitlement that you would not believe. I worked the ER for 4 years, trust me. Their Customer Service rating is below 10%, that should give you a good idea about them. Their pay scale is low low low. There are other options on the Island, Kaiser for one, but no other options other than private practice. Maui is a tough Island. Bad air quality, bad water pollution (constant sewage leaks), bad attitudes by the 'locals'. I would truly research or consider other options. Sincerely speaking...Maui is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to try to live there.
Koale

Old 02-09-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Hi, my only suggestion is that you steer clear of Maui Memorial Medical Center. It is horribly managed. Depts are poorly staffed and employees have an attitude of entitlement that you would not believe. I worked the ER for 4 years, trust me. Their Customer Service rating is below 10%, that should give you a good idea about them. Their pay scale is low low low. There are other options on the Island, Kaiser for one, but no other options other than private practice. Maui is a tough Island. Bad air quality, bad water pollution (constant sewage leaks), bad attitudes by the 'locals'. I would truly research or consider other options. Sincerely speaking...Maui is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to try to live there.
Koale
If I could get in there I would like to help push toward a better hospital system. I am a believer that it is possible to make a better change. The people need the help regardless. This is the only hospital on the island. Kaiser is a clinic....

Kaiser only hires RN with 2 years of experience. You can get your LPN license and work there for a few years for experience and then get hired as an RN... but I refuse to take another exam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui