Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 07:14 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,597,339 times

Advertisements

It being Valentines Day, don't forget, Diamonds are Forever, but SPAM is foevah+10%... So, get your sweety a can, today....

An no foget da key
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 08:12 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,570,095 times
As I said my agent pretty much told me that going with another company would save me money, but hell I'll take blunt honesty. That and the service he provided when my parents car got wrecked was very good. If you want it I'll pm their info. My wife is with State farm, and we're in the middle of consolidating our prolicies so I'll update the result later on.

I'll take any suggestions.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:13 PM

How's Turkey Spam??

Old 02-18-2013, 11:37 AM

569 posts, read 783,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I fear a SPAM shortage would be the end of us all here in Hawaii. Oh, THE HUMANITY!!!

aloha, a'ole poina, aka'aka
I think you meant to say "Oh, THE HUSPAMITY!!!"

Old 03-25-2013, 07:50 PM

I just found out Sirius Xm doesn't offer service in Hawaii. Is there any other Satellite Radio out there?

Old 03-25-2013, 07:59 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,064,041 times
No, but you can stream Pandora through your smartphone through your car radio.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
No, but you can stream Pandora through your smartphone through your car radio.
Fantastic! Thank You!!

Old 04-03-2013, 11:25 AM

4 posts, read 5,983 times
After dragging our stuff all the way from Miami, I would recommend you only bring you're cars, you're family and pets.
Rentals in Maui are very difficult since the short term vacation rentals are taking all the market again.
'Dreaming of Hawaii' is dead on, stuff sells on craigslist for about the same price as new.
Schools are an issue and you should research it before you move here.
Check out this link for moving your pets here
Importing Animals to Hawaii from the U.S. Mainland | Plant Industry Division
Aloha,

Jean-Luc

Old 04-04-2013, 08:49 AM

Aloha!! To all with children in school, here's good news: another option for schooling/high school on Maui. Hawaii Technical Academy. It's basically on-line school, with local testing. The program is called K12. Your student can still participate in clubs/activities/athletics of the local public school. It's considered an accredited charter school, so the state pays for it. Just came into full availability in 2012. Hawaii Technology Academy | Free public home school online.

This is not a plug, lol. I have put my daughter on online K12 program in Las Vegas. There were too many gun scares on campus, ridiculous. She still plays soccer, however. K12 is extremely popular and successful in Las Vegas. The challenging part is your child has to be self motivated, or you, as the parent, will have to be motivating them....

HTA will give each student a laptop to use, if you need it. They also reimburse you for internet charges quarterly.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:01 PM

100 posts, read 270,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
We looked at PODS vs. Container. A container is definitely bigger and can be more cost effective but we went with PODS. Two reasons: (1) PODS is at ground level so really easy to fill it up and empty it. When they drop a container off, it is on a trailer about 4' above the ground. We did not have space to build a ramp for it. And (2) storage - there was a time lag for us between packing and receiving and we needed to store it for a few months. PODS is about 200/month to store, a container is about 1200/month to store.

As to whether to ship anything over at all - we did not want to toss out all our personal stuff, family heirlooms, etc, so knew we were going to ship some things over. Once you cross that bridge it is a slippery slope because the only cost effective way to ship 20+ boxes over is a POD, and as long as you are getting a POD, why not fill it up? And with a POD, the cost difference between a small and a large one is not that great. May as well get the big one. That is the slippery slope.

2x4
Everyone I have talked to got me curious and so I did some of my own research and I found across the board that the average cost for a partial POD for a 2 bdrm is at least 4k, so unless I am grossly mistaken, take that cost into account as well if planning to ship personal belongings over.

Keep in mind that because you will be moving into a much smaller place, space for said personal belongings is going to be limited and you may end up having to put many of those personal belongings in storage (yet another monthly expense).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui