Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 10:15 PM

3 posts, read 8,457 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

We are a family of 5 relocating from Phoenix to Maui in just under 6 months. I am a multimedia designer working nationally from home. By the time of our move, we will be working with about $20K. We expect to use about half of that for the initial transition which includes moving expenses: PODS, Pets, House Rental, Airline Tickets, Reliable car, insurance, utilities, and living supplies until our belongings arrive)

The remaining money should be a cushion for us for about 90 days until we get settled.

The main question we have relates closely to another members entry about condo rentals. The difference here is that we are seeking a house that accepts pets. We have a cat and a Yorkie. We have a similar budget of between $1500 and $1700 and are looking primarily for a 3 bdrm close to a decent High School.

Because of our timeframe, I would like to get in touch with a solid Realtor that is knowledgeable about the Island when I visit in mid-April. We've been looking for properties via Craigslist in the Pukalani or Kula vicinity, but we are open to feedback based on schools and rental prices.

To be completely honest, we could use a Friend in Maui. Or at the very least a Shaman-esque, expert who is willing to offer some sage advice and make some introductions.

Serious Gratitude for any assistance!

Mahalo!

FB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 10:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,968,946 times
You need to monitor craigslist every single day as the move gets closer. There isn't a single rental on Craigslist/Maui right now that is pet friendly at your budget that can hold 5 people, so if one comes up you'll need to jump on it.

By the way - assuming you've started the rabies process - June 1 is a tricky time to fly to Hawaii from Arizona with pets, lots of temperature restrictions, for instance, I don't think it is possible at all on Hawaiian Airlines in the summer from AZ.

Last edited by whtviper1; 01-08-2013 at 10:52 PM..

Old 01-09-2013, 08:37 AM

18,413 posts, read 19,072,202 times
it will be very hard to find a rental in that price range that not only will you "want" to live in and also that will take pets. as whtviper said monitor CL everyday. also get in touch w/the property management co. that do rentals. Bellos, Aloha Maui RE, google and you should find a few more. if you can afford private school Seabury Hall upcountry is your best bet. good luck

Old 01-09-2013, 08:53 AM

18,413 posts, read 19,072,202 times
adding a second thought, can the head of the household come first, get set up and then send for the rest. it may be cheaper that way and less stressful

Old 01-09-2013, 10:15 AM

@hothulamaui

First, thanks to both you and whtviper for your feedback! I will be coming out in mid April to secure a rental, used car, and utilities for the move, while the wife and teens prep for the move.

Sadly, we won't be able to initially do private school for our two teens (we also have an infant who is fine sleeping in our room for the time being) we are in the process of getting our Pets vaccinated for the trip, and they would be carried on with us if possible (both likely sedated)

We may be able to swing a bit more in terms of rent. But we'd prefer not to go into this move feeling stressed about finances. Initially, we need a 3 bedroom, but the high school situation is the issue of the week and finding a house near a quality school is proving a challenge. Maui is not renowned for their stellar public school system, but from what I've read, it's mostly due to a lack of parental involvement (which would not be a problem for us) and a lack of motivation within the student body.

Off topic, Does anyone know a reputable used car dealer? We'll have between $3500-$4500 for a car/minivan. I'll be anxious to get a car when I arrive.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:42 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,058,356 times
I don't know Maui used car prices but they can't be any better of a deal than Hilo. We "should have" purchased a car in California and shipped it to Hawai'i but just didn't have time. Used car prices here are crazy. You could possibly save a huge amount of money if you would drive your car from AZ to CA then ship it. Or at least buy a car in CA then ship it.

So far as pets as carry-on, only Alaska Airlines permits it to Hawai'i and of course they must be small and fit in a carrier. We had no problems bringing our two small dogs on the plane with us. Good luck with the vaccination and titer procedures, they are complicated but do-able. Our vets on both ends were excellent and we had absolutely no problems bringing our dogs directly to Kona.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:23 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,818,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack2 View Post
... but the high school situation is the issue of the week and finding a house near a quality school is proving a challenge. Maui is not renowned for their stellar public school system, but from what I've read, it's mostly due to a lack of parental involvement (which would not be a problem for us) and a lack of motivation within the student body.
Hawaii public schools, statewide, are challenging. There are MANY involved parents and motivated students, as well as those who are not. My guess is that most of the students who attend private schools are not placed there due to their parents loving the private school concept, but rather, due to the under-performance of many of the public schools. Hawaii public school problems generate at the highest levels in Hawaii, at the DOE/BOE admin and legislative level.

So, the problem you are facing is finding a public school that is well-performing. Making a list of those schools, and then limiting your housing search to those areas could be a starting point for you. [Other school options include asking for a district exemption, private school, or home schooling.]

Old 01-09-2013, 05:17 PM

337 posts, read 614,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
it will be very hard to find a rental in that price range that not only will you "want" to live in and also that will take pets. as whtviper said monitor CL everyday. also get in touch w/the property management co. that do rentals. Bellos, Aloha Maui RE, google and you should find a few more. if you can afford private school Seabury Hall upcountry is your best bet. good luck
I second this, Bellos (Bello Realty), and add Pali Kai Realty to the list too. I don't have any rentals, there's a 1/1 studio in Pukalani, but if you need an opinion on someplace let me know.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:02 AM

Yay! City data back online!

This has been so helpful! Thanks to everyone for supplying your insights.

At this moment we are preparing our massive "Everything Must Go" yard sale for mid May. This includes creating an inventory, and marking things based on keep/sell/donate/discard. My wife's biggest issue is how soon we'll be able to repurchase the things were selling here.

The goal is to buy back the main essentials as needed. We may not need to buy a washer / dryer / fridge if the rental comes with one. But stuff like Beds, TV, Microwave, and Juicer will be 1st week items.

Any suggestions for pulling off a high-yield / wildly successful yard sale? We hope to get at least $7K for all of our stuff. I imagine anyone who came from the mainland would have some pretty solid advice on this topic. But we are doing one thing high-tech, we are using the Square.com iPhone point-of-sale swiper in case people didn't bring enough cash. It's sweet!

Thanks guys!

F

Old 01-10-2013, 01:38 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,700,128 times
I second the advise of shipping your car/van over. If you currently have a reliable car, that's one less thing to worry about. By the time you pay for a rental car while you are driving around looking for a place to rent, checking out the schools AND trying to find a decent used car, you would have paid more than just driving to LA and shipping out of Long Beach. It's only $1,075 and you have the use of a vehicle that you are familiar with. Adding on to what HiloDiver suggested, we were looking for a specific used car and ended up buying what we wanted for less in LA and shipping it over.

Good luck with selling your stuff. I actually made more money selling through Craig's List, although it is a bit more of a hassle.

How you looked through the other Maui threads for info on housing and schools?

Last edited by Dreaming of Hawaii; 01-10-2013 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui