Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 11:58 AM

76 posts, read 154,455 times

Advertisements

I do want to say thank you to all of the people who post here. I read often and occasionally post. I have learned some things been schooled some and tried to share some. The information here is valuable. Sometimes specific, sometimes common sense and sometimes perspective. I do believe many people who are thinking of moving to Hawai'i are 'If only" thinkers.
- If only I could loose weight I would be happy
- If only I had more money I would be happy.
- If only I had a better job
- If only I could move away, live somewhere else... live in PARADISE! I would be happy
and life would be grand

Which is flawed thinking, and should not be used in major life decisions. An unhappy person is just as likely to be unhappy in Hawai'i as any where else. Some people are perpetually negative and unhappy no matter what.

I would guess others are more rational and give it a shot but it doesn't work out. IMHO thats ok, most people regret what they didn't do not so much what they have done.

For some it is a good decision, that had they not made they would have never known.

Life is a process, security is an illusion, but that is not an excuse for irresponsibility. I am still a work in progress, so don't hold too much of what is said here against me and I will do the same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 12:55 PM

32,683 posts, read 48,207,062 times
The one that cracks me up is the forums for a foreign country where people are all saying that they want to move there so they can simplify their lifestyle. Really? You have to move 5,000 miles in order to simplify your lifestyle? You can't decide to simplify right where you are located now?

Also, so many folks who think they can move to a foreign country and make a living teaching English. News flash folks, you can't teach English in a foreign country unless your spelling is flawless and you have a complete and perfect grasp of grammar, which very few Americans have.

But, agree totally with the OP. If you aren't happy where you are at, you are very unlikely to be happy just because you have changed your location. Throw in living in poverty, which many of the poster are going to be if they move to Hawaii, and their happiness potential looks pretty small from here.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:24 PM

49 posts, read 133,105 times
I've heard many people say it was that 'one thing' that changed everything. Though they probably don't mean 'everything' in it's most literal sense, good things generally beget good things. A body in motion......and all that jazz.

There's nothing wrong with striving for success and happiness. If it takes 30 mistakes to get it right, ya better get on it! It's worth it. I'm sure Bethooven, knowing what he knew in the end, would approve of going for it.

I think 'expectations' has alot to do with alot of things. According to spell check, alot is NOT a word.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:51 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,068,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanormun View Post
An unhappy person is just as likely to be unhappy in Hawai'i as any where else.
In therapy circles, moving for mood change is called the "geographic cure." Usually, it is ineffective.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:44 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,076,962 times
"Moving for mood change" brings to mind a seventies dance routine, but I suppose moving to a new location could also be included in that phrase.

Moving may help some things and make other things worse. I'm sure it all depends on the details. Considering how repressive so many places on the mainland are, I could see how moving to Hawaii would improve the life of many people. However, if the folks would just embrace the tenants of Hawaii and live Aloha where ever they are, then they could possibly save a ton of money in moving costs as well as have better employment options.

A lot of times being happy is a choice. Just whenever possible choose to be happy. It's no more nor no less than that in many cases.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:38 AM

36 posts, read 57,364 times
No matter where you go, there you are. Moving from one spot on the planet to another cannot cure unhappiness if it stems from within yourself.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:38 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,821,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Island Cat View Post
No matter where you go, there you are. Moving from one spot on the planet to another cannot cure unhappiness if it stems from within yourself.
When I first read this, I agreed. Then I started to think about my brother. He hated living in Oregon. Too many people for him. So, he moved to Alaska and has been extremely happy ever since. However, I lived in Alaska for a year when I was in the military and completely hated it. I have another brother who is happy living in Oregon. He has visited Hawaii a few times and enjoys it for about a week. Yet, he would not be happy living there at all. He says it's too small for him and after about 5 or 6 days he begins to feel trapped. He has also been to Alaska and hates it there, says winters are too long. His happy place is in Oregon.

Is Hawaii paradise? For some yes, for others no. Same goes for Alaska, Oregon or for any other place on earth. Paradise can be anywhere, you have to go out and find it for yourself. Sometimes people's view of where paradise is changes once they have lived there for awhile. Sometimes your view of where paradise is changes with age. Sometimes you find after traveling and searching for your paradise, that your paradise was actually where you started from.
Life's a journey.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:11 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,068,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
In therapy circles, moving for mood change is called the "geographic cure." Usually, it is ineffective.
(quoting myself)

Thinking on it, I should have said, "This is effective sometimes, but not always."

Some people are profoundly affected by weather, the social and cultural environment, and are changed by wherever they live. Others pretty much remain the same, or create the same environment no matter where they live.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,954,235 times
[quote=nightlysparrow;28146583

Some people are profoundly affected by weather,.[/quote]

Let's face it - so many places with such a much better of standard of living and also good weather in the US than Hawaii - one doesn't need to escape to one of the most remote places on Earth where 11% of our homeless have been here 1 year or less. That stat is so shocking to me.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:03 AM

76 posts, read 154,455 times
I agree with nightlysparrow on both accounts. I think people who have never lived in an environment that disagrees with them for long periods of time don't understand how much it can effect a person. (like people who haven't lived in Hawai'i don't know what it is really like).I do believe person should look inside themselves and really be honest about what is going on. Is it a pattern going from one thing to another hoping things will be better or is it really an issue of environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui