Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 05:54 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,779,644 times

Advertisements

The grass is always greener somewhere else.

We just moved from Seattle to Maui after living in Seattle 30 years. It was as much about change of scenery as anything else. Seattle and the PNW are fine. Maui is fine. Neither is "better" than the other, they are just different experiences, and that is what we wanted - something different. It would have been a lot harder if several of our close friends had not also decamped from Seattle in the last year. Leaving friends is the hardest part of big moves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 04:15 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
A good friend who was originally from Buffalo, NY (amazing how often that name comes up this time of year) moved to Maui after college with nothing, lived there for 2 1/2 years, then moved to Texas where she now owns her own business.

She says it was a great time for her, as long as it lasted, and she'll always treasure the memories.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:25 AM

106 posts, read 230,554 times
A good friend of mine (female) moved here to Honolulu about 20 years ago from florida. She moved back to the east coast 2 years ago due to several reasons.

1. Her parents still live in Florida and are getting along in years. She really wanted to be closer to them. Valid reason of course.

2. She met a guy who was vabucationing here and fell for him. had long distance relationship and considered everything ie. her parents, her age, her lack of home ownership and it all fell into place.

So, she moved to South Carolina, took her a bit to find a job, but she did not move to the largest city either. Her relationship ended, but she met someone else, and she jsut bought a house! lol.

Funny how things work out.

I have known people who have moved back after a few years for career reasons. Lack of opportunties, stagnant growth. Lack of movement at the company, as Hawaii workers tend to stay at their jobs FO'EVAH!! So that position you can be waiting forever for it. I think that is one reason why hawaii employers tend to frown upon job movers or people who even move here from the mainland. You get the guy here who went to Iolani HS, then UH, straight to an internship at a bank, then started there and moved up over 25 years and still there. Worker bees don't budge. Mainland workers tend to change jobs more.

It is NICE TO TRAVEl and hey, if you work here and dont make really good money, you really can't. Me myself used to go to Europe every year, but now, it's not as possible. Mainland short trips are more in order, but also no cheap Honolulu to London fares vs. New York to London fares/deals.

Also, and this hits some people. Hawaiii, although wonderful and beautiful and filled with good people, never really becomes "home" for many people. I think if you 're born and raised here, it is within you,, but even I feel I am on borrowed time.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:01 PM

569 posts, read 781,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manapua12 View Post
Hawaiii, although wonderful and beautiful and filled with good people, never really becomes "home" for many people. I think if you 're born and raised here, it is within you,, but even I feel I am on borrowed time.
That's an interesting point. We've made a number of friends who have made the permanent move to Maui and they absolutely love it and say they've never felt so at home. (Of course, it's a lot less likely that we'd have met people who didn't love it and have since left.)

I think it probably comes down to what things you appreciate and what things you can be without. My wife and I have spent enough time on the island to feel very confident that we'll one day live there full-time, once we can do it without too much financial strain.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:18 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
I think it probably comes down to what things you appreciate and what things you can be without.
Yes, this a major point.

And I think a big factor in one's degree of success in making the move is how honest and self-aware one can be in addressing those questions.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:13 PM

805 posts, read 1,511,323 times
A friend of mine left after living here for 8 or 9 years because he was bored and felt very isolated and lonely. He's having a lot more fun now, even met someone and got married.

If sunny, warm weather is the most important thing to you, overriding everything else, then you will love Maui. If it isn't that important, then drawbacks will be glaring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: