Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 04:21 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,750 times

Advertisements

I flew back a few weeks after being here to bring the wife and furry kids over.

The thing I didn't anticipate was that it ended up being a good way for us to have the whole family together before we moved. Sort of a "farewell and good luck on the move" kind of gathering. We took pictures and it was a positive event for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 05:23 PM

65 posts, read 96,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
Direct release is easy enough to do if you follow directions to the letter. The receiving vet on this end will be VERY helpful to you ahead of time. You will also find HI Dept. of Ag employees to be exceedingly helpful on the phone.

Basically we walked off the plane with our dogs, the vet met us and gave them an extremely thorough going-over. Then she signed the paperwork and we were on our way.

Best wishes to you. You're far more well-planned than most.
Please, explain to me, how I can contact ( if it can be useful) to vet service in Maui airport. I will fly with my two dogs and I would like to have somebody from this service to make all procedure to get my dogs from the airport easier as possible. If anybody has some experience of using this airport vet service?

Thank you!

Old 06-10-2013, 06:18 PM

941 posts, read 1,967,193 times
Not to be a nitpicker, but you've mispelled Wailuku twice (once in your location field, once in your latest post). I have been corrected by native speakers just for making my A (as in Anahola) too nasal. All vowel sounds in Hawaiian are open (ah, eh, ee, oh, oo). It helps to learn and use correct spelling and pronunciation.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:23 PM

280 posts, read 473,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
Not to be a nitpicker, but you've mispelled Wailuku twice (once in your location field, once in your latest post). I have been corrected by native speakers just for making my A (as in Anahola) too nasal. All vowel sounds in Hawaiian are open (ah, eh, ee, oh, oo). It helps to learn and use correct spelling and pronunciation.

Thanks.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
I flew back a few weeks after being here to bring the wife and furry kids over.

The thing I didn't anticipate was that it ended up being a good way for us to have the whole family together before we moved. Sort of a "farewell and good luck on the move" kind of gathering. We took pictures and it was a positive event for everyone.

Thanks for the perspective on this. It made me smile!

Old 06-11-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larisa.murren View Post
Please, explain to me, how I can contact ( if it can be useful) to vet service in Maui airport. I will fly with my two dogs and I would like to have somebody from this service to make all procedure to get my dogs from the airport easier as possible. If anybody has some experience of using this airport vet service?

Thank you!
You will need to contact a Vetirinary clinic in Maui. Probably one close to the Kahalui airport. I haven't completed this process as I am in the 120 day waiting period, but I will be contacting a vet next week to ensure I can schedule an appointment. Once I schedule the appointment with the Maui vet I will then schedule one final appointment with my vet to ensure I have all my paperwork. I will also then book the dog's flight, my wife's 1-way ticket, and my round-trip flight back home.

Like I said I will most-likely be booking these next week sometime so I will update you on what the Maui vet says and what my vet says. Again I am just trying to give you a real perspective.

You can send the blood samples yourself, but there are all sorts of packing guidelines and risks so I paid my vet to handle the samples. It was $150 for the blood test, and the vet taking care of shipping the sample. The reason the cost is so high is the shipping is actually outsourced at my vet since even HE does not want to be responsible for the liabilities that come with shipping the samples.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:11 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Best luck with the move.

Gotta say, it's about time!

Old 06-11-2013, 12:24 PM

65 posts, read 96,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui-intoxicated View Post
You will need to contact a Vetirinary clinic in Maui. Probably one close to the Kahalui airport. I haven't completed this process as I am in the 120 day waiting period, but I will be contacting a vet next week to ensure I can schedule an appointment. Once I schedule the appointment with the Maui vet I will then schedule one final appointment with my vet to ensure I have all my paperwork. I will also then book the dog's flight, my wife's 1-way ticket, and my round-trip flight back home.

Like I said I will most-likely be booking these next week sometime so I will update you on what the Maui vet says and what my vet says. Again I am just trying to give you a real perspective.

You can send the blood samples yourself, but there are all sorts of packing guidelines and risks so I paid my vet to handle the samples. It was $150 for the blood test, and the vet taking care of shipping the sample. The reason the cost is so high is the shipping is actually outsourced at my vet since even HE does not want to be responsible for the liabilities that come with shipping the samples.
Thank you very much, I will wait for all your updates regarding this procedure. Can you imagine, I have TWO dogs with me - not easy!

Old 06-11-2013, 02:41 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larisa.murren View Post

Thank you!
The procedure is that once you land, the carrier (the airline) transports the animal in the kennel to the HI Department of Agriculture's building which is just outside the airport on the Kula Highway. Your vet who you have contracted with will go there and inspect the dog. Typically the vet shows up long before you do. The vet we contracted with actually took our dog for a walk, which was nice since I imagine she really had to pee, and gave her some water.

Once you get your luggage from baggage claim, drive over to the building, meet the vet and he/she will hand over your dog and the kennel for you to leave with. The hardest part of all this was finding the right door to the building (it is not marked). The vet makes a living off of this business and has it down.

We used Maui Central Vet. They were the cheapest (still cost I think $200).

Old 06-12-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Best luck with the move.

Gotta say, it's about time!

LOL! About time, it's only been 3months My Maui employer asked me how long it would take me to get there and I let them know 30days. They held me to that firmly and I tried to push back to give myself a bit more time to sell everything and execute but they just wouldn't budge.

I don't believe a person could effectively go from the decision of YES we are 100% moving to actual moving day in less than 30 days without being super stressed.

I was lucky and sold my home after it being listed on the market for 24hrs. Now the closing is not until a later date, but that will be done by my wife since she owns half of everything anyways LOL. If it wasn't my wife I could still close on the sale of my home remotely...that is done all the time.

The dog is the big thing. If I didn't have the flexibility to leave without the furry friend, I would not have been able to relocate at all to be perfectly honest.

I will acknowledge there is also a little bit of aloha in my situation and certain situations have been honestly pure luck...like getting a job offer in Maui in the first place.

If you have the will, you will know what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui