Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 04:06 PM

280 posts, read 474,217 times

Advertisements

Well I am wrapping up my packing. Since I have 3 checked bags, and 2 carry-ons I was going to use this formula to decide what is coming with me.

2/3 Absolutely necessary items and 1/3 non-essential nice to have stuff.

When checking bags I have this weird paranoia the airline WILL lose my checked bags from under the plane, or some daring swiss jewel thief might mistake it for his next big heist. MAKE SURE YOU CARRY-ON Clothes like 1 outfit, underwear, and core personal needs like contact lenses and important paperwork... or you are at risk of the airlines misplacing your stuff.

In the 2 18gal to bins for necessities, clothes, personal care needs, anything I absolutely NEED on a daily basis, or within the FIRST WEEK of my arrival.

1 18gal bin filled with non-essential items, or nice-to-haves. For me I took a look at my situation and I am essentially going to be living a bachelor life for a few months so this is the basis for what non-essential items I will bring. What I decided to take is not as important but its' things like flashlight, knife, binoculars, exercise stuff, football, basketball, elastic training band, a small cooler, baseball caps and watches.

During this process I decided to make a list of things I will need to buy within a week of me getting there. I realized that list is very short, and I will only need to buy a pillow some linens, tp, some cleaning supplies, a first aid kit, and food. (I snuck a little first aid kit in my truck onto MATSON, this was the ONLY item I shipped inside my truck besides the factory jack, and spare tire...I even removed the ink pens).

Separately, during the sell-off process I had a spreadsheet I saved of bigger items I will most-likely be "upgrading" or buying new when I get to Maui. These things are not necessities as I am packing the necessities with me. Really I will need to buy a bed, dog essentials, some tools and maybe a TV...but both of these items won't need to be purchased for 4months as I am renting a furnished place the first 4months.

I have spent roughly $200 buying things before I left for Maui. This includes essentially an all new summer wardrobe since I donated all of my other clothes, a nice knife and flashlight.

So far I have made over 10,000 on my stuff I have sold. I would anticipate that to rise as there are 2 more garage sales and we have some items left to sell like rugs, lamps, pillows, and our 2 TV's and a few other minor bigger items.

For my 2 40lb carry-ons I will be using a laptop backpack case for my 2 laptops, phone, chargers, travel pillow and some snacks. I also have another bigger carry-on that has a week's wardrobe. Right now I have too much allotted free space, so I may be filling some of the bins and my bigger carry-on with some of my wifes clothes, shoes, etc. Having too much is good, and I may be able to get away with just 2bins for checked bags, or perhaps just 1 carry-on but I am not too sure yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 10:40 AM

65 posts, read 96,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui-intoxicated View Post
Well I am wrapping up my packing. Since I have 3 checked bags, and 2 carry-ons I was going to use this formula to decide what is coming with me.

2/3 Absolutely necessary items and 1/3 non-essential nice to have stuff.

When checking bags I have this weird paranoia the airline WILL lose my checked bags from under the plane, or some daring swiss jewel thief might mistake it for his next big heist. MAKE SURE YOU CARRY-ON Clothes like 1 outfit, underwear, and core personal needs like contact lenses and important paperwork... or you are at risk of the airlines misplacing your stuff.

In the 2 18gal to bins for necessities, clothes, personal care needs, anything I absolutely NEED on a daily basis, or within the FIRST WEEK of my arrival.

1 18gal bin filled with non-essential items, or nice-to-haves. For me I took a look at my situation and I am essentially going to be living a bachelor life for a few months so this is the basis for what non-essential items I will bring. What I decided to take is not as important but its' things like flashlight, knife, binoculars, exercise stuff, football, basketball, elastic training band, a small cooler, baseball caps and watches.

During this process I decided to make a list of things I will need to buy within a week of me getting there. I realized that list is very short, and I will only need to buy a pillow some linens, tp, some cleaning supplies, a first aid kit, and food. (I snuck a little first aid kit in my truck onto MATSON, this was the ONLY item I shipped inside my truck besides the factory jack, and spare tire...I even removed the ink pens).

Separately, during the sell-off process I had a spreadsheet I saved of bigger items I will most-likely be "upgrading" or buying new when I get to Maui. These things are not necessities as I am packing the necessities with me. Really I will need to buy a bed, dog essentials, some tools and maybe a TV...but both of these items won't need to be purchased for 4months as I am renting a furnished place the first 4months.

I have spent roughly $200 buying things before I left for Maui. This includes essentially an all new summer wardrobe since I donated all of my other clothes, a nice knife and flashlight.

So far I have made over 10,000 on my stuff I have sold. I would anticipate that to rise as there are 2 more garage sales and we have some items left to sell like rugs, lamps, pillows, and our 2 TV's and a few other minor bigger items.

For my 2 40lb carry-ons I will be using a laptop backpack case for my 2 laptops, phone, chargers, travel pillow and some snacks. I also have another bigger carry-on that has a week's wardrobe. Right now I have too much allotted free space, so I may be filling some of the bins and my bigger carry-on with some of my wifes clothes, shoes, etc. Having too much is good, and I may be able to get away with just 2bins for checked bags, or perhaps just 1 carry-on but I am not too sure yet.
Please tell me where did you find the furnished place to stay? If I am right, do you have a dog? We would like to find a furnished place to stay with TWO dogs (maybe for 4-6 months) before we can find something permanent.
Thank you, your sharing helping a lot!!!

Old 06-13-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larisa.murren View Post
Please tell me where did you find the furnished place to stay? If I am right, do you have a dog? We would like to find a furnished place to stay with TWO dogs (maybe for 4-6 months) before we can find something permanent.
Thank you, your sharing helping a lot!!!
I have not found a furnished place to stay that allows a dog yet. Right now it is just me, the dog and my wife will be relocating when that happens.

It's amazing what we do for our beloved animals, isn't it!

To summarize, I am sacrificing being with my wife and dog for a few months until I am in Maui, living for a while, and able to find a stable place to rent that does allow dogs, and if that proves difficult within the first few weeks, I will begin looking at purchasing. Renting with a dog is tough, as a landlord I don't even allow it myself.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:53 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,715,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larisa.murren View Post
Please, explain to me, how I can contact ( if it can be useful) to vet service in Maui airport. I will fly with my two dogs and I would like to have somebody from this service to make all procedure to get my dogs from the airport easier as possible. If anybody has some experience of using this airport vet service?

Thank you!
I hope you realize that there is a very lengthy and costly process to prepare your animals for bringing in to Hawaii. If not, there have been discussions here about the requirements and you will find them if you do a forum search. Or maybe one of the helpful posters here can provide that link to you.

I believe it is about a six-month process.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:01 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,998,506 times
While you can't offer a higher security deposit on a rental if you have a pet as that is illegal in Hawaii, you can write to the rental postings and ask if they would accept a dog in exchange for higher rent. You can also do that for shorter leases as most landlords don't like the hassles of a 4-6 month rental. Of course, this assumes you are fine with paying above market price and have the budget to do so. The worst thing than can happen is no response - or a response telling you no.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:14 PM

I just got off the phone with a very aloha agent from HI Airlines Cargo Capacity booking 877-422-2746 (Press 2) . The estimate on shipping a 70lb dog + carrier is Cargo out of LAX to Kahalu in the Vari X-large Carrier 40" 27" 30" Buy Kennel from Petco Amazon $96 (Cargo portion of the plane) is $750.

You will also need an Entry Permit that you get prior to arrival. I am not positive but I believe my vet mentioned to set the appointment with him 10days prior for that piece of paperwork.

You can google for the cost of the X-large Vari Kennel. Now I need to figure out how much it costs to get the dog from Delta MSP (Minneapolis /St Paul int) to LAX. If I can get it under $1000.00 I believe that was the original estimate for getting a dog to Maui. I will tally it all up with the vet visits, FAVN test, kennel cost and airline costs so people have a real idea.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:56 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,106,283 times
All said and done, it cost $2,000 to get 3 cats from the Seattle airport to Oahu in the beginning of 2011.

This counts the vet visits, tests, carriers, and cat flights. Each cat had to be in it's own container, and the route/plane had a 4 pet limit, so we made sure to book in advance. (Hawaiian Airlines) By the time we got our bags and walked over to the pet area of the airport, the cats were ready to go.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:53 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,790,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui-intoxicated View Post
I just got off the phone with a very aloha agent from HI Airlines Cargo Capacity booking 877-422-2746 (Press 2) . The estimate on shipping a 70lb dog + carrier is Cargo out of LAX to Kahalu in the Vari X-large Carrier 40" 27" 30" Buy Kennel from Petco Amazon $96 (Cargo portion of the plane) is $750.
Fly Alaska. They are very aloha too and only charge $100. At least that is what they charged for our 65 lb lab. But you have to be on the same flight as the pooch.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:17 PM

32,737 posts, read 48,366,038 times
Hawaiian Airlines has very high fees for pets. Alaska Airlines has a reasonable accompanied baggage charge for pets, although there will be a size limit and maybe a 500 kennel will be over that size limit. I suggest that you are least call for prices.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:16 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,790,784 times
We are going around in circles here. The cost of shipping a dog on Alaska Airlines vs. Hawaiian was discussed in this very thread, back at post #55. Kind of pointless to respond if the OP does not read those. Sheesh....

https://www.city-data.com/forum/28756205-post55.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui