Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2013, 05:45 PM

11 posts, read 15,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui-intoxicated View Post
My wife found a job right away but in a less-prestigeous position for less pay as well. I don't know how people are expected to survive on the lower-economic pay they offer here. She earns 10k/year after taxes working part time because the company most-likely doesn't want the added cost of benefits for full-timers.

From what I see around me here (Upcountry) people with such low income on part-time schedule normally have several jobs, I know the guy who has 5 jobs at the same time but that's extreme!!!
So if you would like to save more I'd recommend to look for the second job or keep looking for the full-time position.

I've also made several interesting observations concerning jobs here. I've met a nice lady with big teaching experience who was trying to apply for the position of an educational assistant at school. I'd seen her at work before, she is really great and very well educated, nice, tactful, really professional. She was about to retire and was simply looking for pretty much something to help her with paying the bills, was ready to work for "at least something".
I was surprised to know she hadn't been picked up, I was even more surprised when I saw the ladies that got that job, had an opportunity to talk to them and this is ridiculous because they have zero experience of working with kids, grumpy and nervous looking, maybe good at just watching the kids so they wouldn't escape and that's it.

I also have a friend in his 20-ies who was looking for the position of a clerk in a hospital, the main requirement was high school education, which he has and no any special requirements or work experience. We both applied and I have MA degree, I am bilingual and I have a lot of office work experience which I mentioned. So none of us was even invited for the interview but we knew that there are a lot of people in their 60-ies that are normally hired for this position.

I also know the guy who was kicked out of college and just came to Maui without much of a plan at all and found a job of a store manager with a big salary right away and I applied for the same position many times and has never been called.

So far my observation is as follows: it's easier of all to find a job for people who are uneducated, slow, kinda stupid, grumpy-looking, old and sick unless you are a nurse or you work in one of the West side resorts because if you work there you have at least to have a smile but the rest can pretty much stay the same.

So far it looks like the majority of people here are either very rich or just poor and most of the guys from the second groups just have several jobs/sources of income and enjoy minimalism. There are exceptions of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 09:44 AM

107 posts, read 164,377 times
Quote:
So me and the wife came back essentially Maui Drunk, me more than her but I am 1/2 committed to moving to Maui now. To the point where I have a realtor coming to assess my 3yr old mortgage situation, and I already had a phone interview for a job out there.

I feel if I plan properly to move there and continue to be the savvy guy if not a more savvy guy I can live pretty comfortably.

Fun facts so you guys can weigh in on my decision.

31 yr old Caucasion, wife is 30. We both don't do a ton around town during the weeknights, mainly because her job is strenuous on-call 24/7. We own a golden retriever but no kids, are not attached to any personal belongings and are actually quite minimalist. We do love the weather and the oceans and the whales and all of the towns in Maui. We've visited most... I've lived 3 other places she's only lived 2hrs from home. I currently have a monthly cost of living at $4000. Combined we make a bit over 100,000 and we don't party much, i don't drink at all. We eat and live healthy and simple and are minimalists at heart...

Reason we are interested in leaving is plentiful but the shortlist is this:
Climate, snow sucks!
Friends don't come by as much since we stopped partying
Not interested in having kids for a few years
My career will allow me to maintain a 70-80k/yr salary.
Rebecca is interested in part-time work, and wondering if 20-30k part time is a reality in Maui.
My employer would allow me to "work remotely" which essentially I do 1-2x a week as it is.
Mom and Dad and In-Laws favorite place to vacation, parents have been 3x, in-laws 6in the past 14yrs.
The "easier laid back" atmosphere. We are trying to understand I feel that we are sick of the fast-paced go here, do this, do that, suburban city life.

With the above facts, is this something that might be right for me and my wife? I am pretty determined and she is not a risk-taker at all, but when she was there she was loving the solitude way of life. We understand that is vacationing that is part of that...but I feel this will give her a kick in the butt to find a new line of work, or else just take it easy for a bit and ease into mother hood while I continue to work...

I have researched and gotten serious enough where I am talking to the realtor Saturday to see about unloading my home here in Saint Paul. The transition is a bit confusing to me, but I anticipate the process something like this.

1. Sell current home...breaking even is fine but if I lose money I wont move to Maui.
2. Find housing in Maui. We liked Lahaina, Kihei, Wailea and would settle in Kahului. Suggestions welcome and I am willing to pay $1800-2000/month with 1 income on housing. With my above figure you realize that puts me at $4000/month disposable income so $2000 in monthly living expenses.

Would we be able to find a 2br for this price?

Question: I would presume I should do a short-term 6month lease until I can find a viable property to buy...

3. Figure out how to get my 80lb 11yr old golden to Maui.
4. Firesale belongings from 2200 sq ft house, 4br 2ba, and a cpl bonus full of stuff, the boat, the motorcycle, the truck, SUV, sports car and Tahoe.
5. Ship 1 vehicle from Cali to Island...potentially a motorcycle as well I don't know yet.

I would presume the process would be get a contract in motion for current home, at that time begin lining up housing in Maui somewhere close to whatever is an IT district, or Nursing economic potential for the wife.

Some general questions for you guys are this:
I would need the fastest internet available, what would that run me a month...I currently pay $80/month + $130/month 4g wireless. And do I need to take this into consideration while finding housing?

Is setting a 3month timetable to get this done aggressive? Do people usually spend time going back and forth checking out places or is it kind of get to the island, and then worry about a more permanent thing? I am kind of worried about burning time and money simply finding the RIGHT place for us to rent.

Privacy is something we value #1... obviously giving up the 3/4 acre might put a damper on privacy but is it still feasible to live in a more private place?

Thank you ALL ahead of time and I've read and learned a ton already from this forum! Mahalo!

I would think the grass would be 'Greener' ~ dude, it's MAUI ~ Enuff said, enjoy your move, take me with you!

Old 12-18-2013, 01:24 PM

280 posts, read 473,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzy Bear View Post
I would think the grass would be 'Greener' ~ dude, it's MAUI ~ Enuff said, enjoy your move, take me with you!

Lo! It's definitely more green than Minneapolis/Twin Cities where there is snow and where I moved from.

You missed the plane my friend...I certainly did make the move. It's a great time over here.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,867,298 times
Moving from Maui to Minnesota might just be the worst thing you could do.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:30 PM

It's paid it's dividends so far!

Old 01-03-2014, 08:12 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,283,149 times
You've escaped the cold weather here in the Twin Cities! Governor Dayton is closing the schools on Monday due to the cold weather. By Sunday and Monday the highs will be about -17 and the lows about -25 to -27. The wind chill will be -50. It hasn't been that cold in the Twin Cities in 20 years.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:23 PM

City Data is asking me to update my thread because its read by a lot of people.

After a year into the island life I can safely say this is not a long-term solution for us. We love the island but are beginning preparations for a new journey. For anyone that dreams of a new adventure in a new place I say go for it. You only get one life to live, so live it up!

It's really hard to answer the question that many people ask us which is "Why do you want to leave?" This is difficult because there are such great things about Maui, that we almost do not want to leave, but also want to better position ourselves economically. This is easier on the mainland. I do feel we have sacrificed SOME of our quality of life living in Maui, but on the flip side we have also gained new valuable experiences that can almost balance out the quality of life we were accustomed to. (Think missing old family, vs making new friends).

I have noticed people tend to want to leave this island after a year or two. Maybe this is due to the demographics of the folks I hang out with (20s/30s) maybe not.

I did not spend as much money out here on possessions as I thought we would. After downsizing we realized we don't need much to live on and really buy the bare essentials. This was a good experience gained for us. I am still trying to learn to surf, but we have been boogie boarding, SUP, skimming, snorkeling and generally spending a lot of time at the beach and in the ocean which is a nice change from the arctic midwest activities we are accustom to. There is a bunch fo great hiking on Maui, some of which still remains for us to do.

If you are an outdoorsman, Maui is a great place to spend your time.

If anyone has any questions about relocation, quality of life, cost of living or other general Maui questions, please feel free to ask in this forum or via a PM and I will continue to field your questions.

Aloha and Mahalo!

Old 04-09-2014, 03:15 PM

98 posts, read 544,194 times
Thanks for the update, MI. So you have been there less than a year, correct? How soon will you be leaving and what area is now on your radar?

We are uprooting our family soon from the PNW and will be moving in about two months. We plan on staying for at least a few years, but you just never know.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:11 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,695,713 times
Quote:
City Data is asking me to update my thread because its read by a lot of people.

I have noticed people tend to want to leave this island after a year or two. Maybe this is due to the demographics of the folks I hang out with (20s/30s) maybe not.
Very interesting observation! There is a very big difference between those who are working on careers and/or raising children, and those of us who are retired and wanting to slow down. Most of the people I know (60+) are quite content to be living here and enjoying the island pace of life. The main reason that any of them have left is because they need medical care that is not available here, especially on the Big Island.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:15 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,959,147 times
Quote:

My next door neighbor said to me to be honest and tell me that he usually doesn't get too close to folks because they are always leaving shortly after they get here. I could imagine after your friends you make constantly leave you behind it could take its toll. You may not be leaving the island anytime soon, but that doesn't mean the good friend you made won't leave tomorrow.
Looks like this turned out to be true.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui