Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 05:25 PM

280 posts, read 474,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruprick View Post
Thanks for the update, MI. So you have been there less than a year, correct? How soon will you be leaving and what area is now on your radar?

We are uprooting our family soon from the PNW and will be moving in about two months. We plan on staying for at least a few years, but you just never know.

Yes we have been here a year and we are looking to move back to MN where we have pending opportunities. We had a blast here and if the hand was dealt a little differently perhaps we would stay a bit longer.

You will have a lot of fun here. You just never know is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Looks like this turned out to be true.......
I have met some good friends on Maui but yes, this does seem to be the case. In the one year I have been on the island I have met quite a few who are newcomers, and quite a few who are on the way out. Perhaps the transients stick together and this is skewing my perception but I also know plenty of folks who have been here for decades as well.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:05 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,287,414 times
I'm sorry it didn't work out to stay longer in Maui, but life moves on. It's harder to make the move while your still in your working years when there are a lot of other concerns in your life.

This winter has been a particularly nasty cold one in Minnesota. Probably the worst one in 20 years, although it's been much worse 20 to 60 years ago. The climate has been warmer here for the past 20 years, which the exception of this past winter. We had at least a dozen of our evergreens that are dead from this winter, but most of our evergreens survived. About 90% of our lake still has ice, but the ice is getting thin. But today, the temperature finally reached 70 for the first time in six months! The snow is melted in most areas, but there are still piles of snow here and there. People are in a much better mood after the winter is finally over.

It sounds like you've learned a lot from your experience which would never have occurred if you didn't make the move to Maui. However, there's compromises that need to be made to improve your employment opportunities and your long term future.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:17 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,592,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui-intoxicated View Post
Yes we have been here a year and we are looking to move back
I hear ya! Been here now for going on four decades, but, I could move back to the mainland at any moment. Just don't think I'm ready to commit to the Islands as of yet..

Committed to Kaneohe perhaps

Old 04-10-2014, 02:30 PM

PS. My wife quit smoking, so in all actuality this entire adventure was a success.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:16 PM

723 posts, read 2,197,323 times
So do you think you will be back to visit alot after moving away?

My wife and I visited recently to Wailea; she keeps saying she wants to live there (I wouldn't mind), but I keep saying that living there is not as 'magical' as vacationing every so often.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
So do you think you will be back to visit alot after moving away?

My wife and I visited recently to Wailea; she keeps saying she wants to live there (I wouldn't mind), but I keep saying that living there is not as 'magical' as vacationing every so often.

It's funny you ask. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of coming back, especially if a friend invited me to stay with them but as for pure vacation, I think my wife and I agreed we got Maui'd out and visiting other islands even out side of the Hawaiian chain might be a better idea. I am about new experiences and my wife is all about routine, but when we experience something new she has a great time...she just doesn't seek it out like I would.

If I ever had kids, I might make a special trip back here if they accomplish something rewarding.

I am still hoping to hit Molokai and Lanai before we leave. We visited Oahu, Big Island and Kuai since living here so we had some fun!

It ain't over to till the fat lady sings, but I see her wobbling towards the stage now.

Wailea is a nice area and just down the road from where I live. I would rate there beaches best on-island for amount of sun exposure they receive...which to me if it isn't sunny, why bother. I live in Maui Meadows which to me reminds me somewhat of a mini hollywood hills, without the mega mansions...there are a few mansions, definitely plenty of multi-million dollar real-estate, but wailea has the 10+ million dollar homes where folks come in on there private yachts. They also have some more affordable housing and smaller residences tucked in as well.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:57 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,287,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui-intoxicated View Post
PS. My wife quit smoking, so in all actuality this entire adventure was a success.
Congratulations for your wife! I'm sure it wasn't easy, but that's a life changing event!

Old 04-10-2014, 10:51 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,790,784 times
My wife and I are on our 2nd year here on Maui after moving from Washington state. We love it and have not thought about leaving, but I have to say that for us it was not a random "I need a change" sort of a move. I am a nut for ocean sports - surfing, windsurfing, SUP, kiting, long distance swimming, whatever. I had this obsession long before I moved here. So I have this big motivation to make things work. My wife has a sister here, so she wanted to connect. And she loves to paint and garden, both of which Maui is great for. Both of us are willing to put up with the various problems living here to make these other things in our lives work out.

There are posts here every week saying "we went to Maui on vacation and fell in love and now we are moving there. Will it work out for us?". Frankly, this place is not an easy place to live relative to the mainland. It is a disaster waiting to happen unless you are obsessed (like me) about something you can only get here, or unless you have tons of money and can just buy your way to happiness here.

One more factoid - we are retired so we do not have the financial pressure of finding a decent job. I think the economic aspect of living here is probably the single biggest problem for people.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:37 PM

10 posts, read 17,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
One more factoid - we are retired so we do not have the financial pressure of finding a decent job. I think the economic aspect of living here is probably the single biggest problem for people.
I agree! We are in the process of getting ready to move to Maui by the end of the year but my husband and I work from home selling via the internet. We make a good living at it so that is the only reason why we think we could really make it just fine on Maui. If we had to look for jobs, I really don't think we would even be considering it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui