Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 02:18 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,777,246 times
@KauaiHiker

I believe the first step to any solution is to at least acknowledge there is an issue, instead of certain people living in denial because life for them is peachy keen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 03:59 PM

280 posts, read 474,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
I really think we are going to see more and more of this. The tech industry pays well, and while remote work is nice, it's also not that common in the end. However the Internet has enabled many different so-called lifestyle businesses, from SEO, marketing, content, direct selling (etsy, photography), consulting (programming, design, websites), to mobile apps and indie games. Some are part-time jobs, some pay for a whole family to live in Hawaii. I have seen many more threads on this forum where one or both partners makes a living this way.

What I think this means is that housing prices will continue to go up. As more people with more income see Hawaii as a viable place to move, it will drive up prices as people with money and Internet revenue out bid those dependent on local jobs.
When I was looking for a place to rent I met a fellow in Paia that was looking to sublease his north-shore beach place as he just hit somewhat of an internet "jackpot" selling wordpress themes. I didn't go into specifics but he himself said he felt "lucky" as he said because he was able to finally afford a home in Wailea. Not sure if he paid cash or not.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
We will have to agree to disagree - I don't think it is as complicated as you made it out, just my opinion. I don't believe it is a birthright to be entitiled to inexpensive housing just because you are born somewhere. We all have personal responsibility to make something of ourselves.

I also noticed a mistake in my other post which you quoted - I said people in Kailua are tearing down the tiny houses on small lots - I meant to say, the are tearing down the tiny house on the large lots.

But let me get to the core of my disagreement, especially the statement "I don't think the situation is good for Hawaii's people and economy". I feel really confident, that an economy in Hawaii of record tourism and low unemployment (which has a byproduct of rising housing prices - more people working - more people buying where demand is higher than supply) is far better than an economy of 2008 with low tourism, high unemployment, falling housing prices - that is when you really have a struggle, a lot of people forget that not that long ago, it was really bleak around here, certainly more bleak than today.

If the mechanics, bricklayers, and other blue collar workers are being pushed out by the economy, it all works itself out in the end, then the demand for those resources become higher, and with higher demand brings higher compensation.

I believe one of the reasons I felt good energy here is probably the new energy. As you say it was bleak, I believe the new energy helps a community thrive in some regards. It's KEEPING that new energy energized, and around for a sustainable amount of time that will have the most lasting impact on "economy".

Old 04-18-2014, 07:27 PM

941 posts, read 1,971,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui-intoxicated View Post
I believe one of the reasons I felt good energy here is probably the new energy. As you say it was bleak, I believe the new energy helps a community thrive in some regards. It's KEEPING that new energy energized, and around for a sustainable amount of time that will have the most lasting impact on "economy".
Hard to tell whether you're saying the energy in the islands is "bleak" and you're bringing new energy, or upon arriving, the change gave you new energy.

Either way, I've heard from several people that they feel their energy draining away after staying on Kaua'i (small town, rural, slow pace of life). The prime example is how people feel that driving 10 miles to Lihue is "too far" and "out of the way." But generally it's more about being motivated to start and/or finish projects, jobs, etc. Personally, I don't feel that way, but I see how it could happen to certain personality types. "Island time" is real and it has many facets.

It's certain that people are motivated after making all the effort to move and change their lifestyle. But I would guard against projecting the attitude that you are bringing new energy to revitalize the local community. Maybe it there is a bit of decrepitude in the "island time" lifestyle, but nobody likes a knight in shining armor full of self-righteousness. Better to be seen as Don Quixote tilting at windmills as long as you enjoy channeling your energy into your own persuits.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
Hard to tell whether you're saying the energy in the islands is "bleak" and you're bringing new energy, or upon arriving, the change gave you new energy.

The prime example is how people feel that driving 10 miles to Lihue is "too far" and "out of the way." But generally it's more about being motivated to start and/or finish projects, jobs, etc.

>> I couldn't agree more with this example. We do prefer the more rural vs subburb,inner/outer city life. I don't like those million person cities and my wife almost refuses to visit them, traffic for events, peds and bikes, criminals up no good, wrong place wrong time I've seen it all.

It's certain that people are motivated after making all the effort to move and change their lifestyle. But I would guard against projecting the attitude that you are bringing new energy to revitalize the local community. Maybe it there is a bit of decrepitude in the "island time" lifestyle, but nobody likes a knight in shining armor full of self-righteousness. Better to be seen as Don Quixote tilting at windmills as long as you enjoy channeling your energy into your own persuits.

>> I agree Don Quixnote. I have been told I am like a kid in a playpen who ran out of toys. Probably one way to put it, but there are others. As for island time, we love it. When we got back from a short trip we realized we missed that...nice to get off the ole rock every now and again.
^^

Old 05-09-2014, 05:05 PM

Tech is really heating up...and I see a lot of career options opening up right now so that is one motivation for us to move. There are also others...the contract is coming to an end and no real sign of a future with them due to an acquisition losing middle level execs etc.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:09 PM

If I wanted to stay on Maui long term, I would suggest you have multiple skills. That is how I would do it only because that is how I see a lot of people thriving. They teach X and also are skilled in Y and X which supplements there income. Think outside the box with your talents and inspire and challenge yourself. Anyone can move here with some great forward-thinking and a can-do attitude...

And whether you chose to bail, and leave the island...that is your choice but at least you can walk away having the experience rather than saying "I guess I'll never know."

Thanks for everyone's support and continue to ask me anything. I love helping out friends and I would be naive to say this thread is not inspiring. Adventures are what create history my friends! Go create an adventure!

Old 05-09-2014, 05:12 PM

AWESOME I CAN EDIT POSTS AND I AM NOW A Sr. Member... sorry for being away so long folks. Ask me anything about Hawaii, I've now lived on Maui and am well travelled including 4 trips to Honolulu, 1 trip to Big Island, 1 trip to Kauai, and an upcoming day trip planned for Molokai and Lanai.

No plans for Kaho' Olawe

Old 05-09-2014, 05:23 PM

127 posts, read 180,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui-intoxicated View Post
If I wanted to stay on Maui long term, I would suggest you have multiple skills. That is how I would do it only because that is how I see a lot of people thriving. They teach X and also are skilled in Y and X which supplements there income. Think outside the box with your talents and inspire and challenge yourself. Anyone can move here with some great forward-thinking and a can-do attitude...

And whether you chose to bail, and leave the island...that is your choice but at least you can walk away having the experience rather than saying "I guess I'll never know."

Thanks for everyone's support and continue to ask me anything. I love helping out friends and I would be naive to say this thread is not inspiring. Adventures are what create history my friends! Go create an adventure!
Best of luck to you and your wife Maui-Intoxicated....you've been a tremendous help for those of us who are relocating to Maui!

Mahalo

Old 05-11-2014, 11:14 AM

There is only one major what I call socio issue I have living on the island. Some would argue its environmental or ag issue but I ultimately feel its out of the voter/legislature hands otherwise it would not be done, and that is the infamous burning of cane, sugar cane specifically.

A few observations and I am always open for interpretation and debate.

1. They burn it 24/7
2. Its a health hazard for everyone, i feel bad for the fellas that work in those conditions but I know its there choice, as it is mine to tolerate it.
3. It does affect me negatively...and everyone for that matter (some more than others), my personal opiniion.

I will continue to post some random thoughts but as I stated earlier, my contract will soon be up so I will be moving on to greener pastures. I won't disclose, when or where, but it will still be in a tech leadership role likely on the mainland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui